Mobile reception on Fjords cruise?

SquishTheWhale

Hi all

We have 3 cabins booked on Britannia for the Fjords next year. It's the first time I've cruised with more than just my husband so trying to work out how we will all stay in touch! We are on saver fares so our cabins might be opposite ends of the ship.

While in port in the Fjords did you find you generally have 4G or mobile reception? How about when not in port but sailing through the Fjords? I was considering if it might be cheaper to use PAYG internet on sea days for the occasional WhatsApp rather than paying for the week package if we don't need it on port days.

Any input or tips would be useful!

There is good 4G coverage in all of the ports. However, I cannot speak for the times when we were sailing, because I turned my phone onto flight mode during those periods just in case I racked up huge roaming charges. Incidentally, I believe you can use the phones in your cabins to stay in touch while on board.

Coverage onshore and on deck is very good as you roam across all the available service providers.

Coverage inside is awful and non existent if you are in the centre of the ship.

However at least with WhatsApp you can see if your message has been sent, received, or read.

Depending on your home network, be *very* careful your phone does not roam onto the ship's maritime network, otherwise a very big bill we be waiting for you at home.

Coverage onshore and on deck is very good as you roam across all the available service providers.

Coverage inside is awful and non existent if you are in the centre of the ship.

However at least with WhatsApp you can see if your message has been sent, received, or read.

Depending on your home network, be *very* careful your phone does not roam onto the ship's maritime network, otherwise a very big bill we be waiting for you at home.

Maritime network rules have changed and mobile phones can no longer accidentally access them. This followed cases of cruise passengers getting bills in the £1000s....

Thanks for the replies- did not really consider roaming and maritime networks! Good to know the reception in port is good.

It sounds like the most cost effective thing might be to use 4G while in port and PAYG for a few WhatsApps on board. We could pay for the internet package, but with 3 cabins that adds up! Hoping our cabins are vaguely near each other so we can leave notes on doors as well (yep we are too cheap to pay for Select fare)

Thanks for the replies- did not really consider roaming and maritime networks! Good to know the reception in port is good.

It sounds like the most cost effective thing might be to use 4G while in port and PAYG for a few WhatsApps on board. We could pay for the internet package, but with 3 cabins that adds up! Hoping our cabins are vaguely near each other so we can leave notes on doors as well (yep we are too cheap to pay for Select fare)

We went as a very large family group, we mainly relied on 4G in port, however I purchased WiFi (one device at a time can be connected package), so when I wasn't using it, or for something important others in our group would use it (with me controlling the password).

We went as a very large family group, we mainly relied on 4G in port, however I purchased WiFi (one device at a time can be connected package), so when I wasn't using it, or for something important others in our group would use it (with me controlling the password).
Thanks for the reply! Good to know you managed ok

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app