Tips for deepseafishing excursion?

TexEm

Has anyone ever been on a deepseafishing excursion? We're on the CP arriving Cozumel 7/15 and are going on a 1/2 day morning trip, booked on our own. I know we need to tip, but how much, and just to the captain, or to the crew, too? (I think we'll end up paying about $65 each for the fishing). Would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.

This post got lost in the shuffle yesterday, couldn't find it anywhere. Any other ideas on tips ($$)for fishing charters? Is 100 pesos about $10? Is that 100 pesos per person or from the whole group?

Colonial, I hope the service isn't bad! Are you living in Cozumel now? How's the weather? Thanks for the reply.

A good rule of thumb for tipping is 15% of the cost of the trip. If the service is great, tip 20%. If it's mediocre at best, tip 10%.

Yes, 100 pesos is approximately $10. Likewise, 50 pesos is $5.

When we're on a dive trip, we generally tip the captain and our guides based on the total cost of the trip. If each person in your party is paying for themselves, they should each tip.

Who are you fishing with? You said you booked the trip on your own. Just curious as I've heard good things about Wahoo Tours. Just wondered if you're using them.

We arranged the charter through OceanTours for 1/2 day, morning, from 8:30-12:30, for $440, with a 10% cash discount, for 1-6 people, each extra person $25. We checked other companies (liked 3 Hermanos, too) but decided on this one based on boat, equipment, ease of communication, etc. You can get info about them at http://www.cozumel-diving.net/oceantur or reach them at oceantours@prodigy.net.mx. Will let you know how it goes, just 2 more weeks til we're on the CP (their shore excursion was $139 each, waitlisted).

ScubaMare--so for a $395 trip (the cash discounted price) we should give a $60 tip? That seems high, but then we're newbies to this.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Let me know if you need other info.

$60 does seem high, but if you get great service and the crew does a good job, they deserve it. By the time we do a week's worth of diving in Cozumel, between the captain and the divemaster, we've usually tipped close to $100. And these guys deserve it! The folks we dive with are fantastic and very friendly! At $65 each for your trip, that's only $13 each for the tip. Very reasonable for good service.

Not that this should factor into your decision, but a little info on wages. Wages in Cozumel, as in all of Mexico, are low even in the tourism industry. We're talking $20 a day at best. So, tips are greatly appreciated.

Appreciate the advice, ScubaMare...I guess since we tip 15-20% for a lot of things here in the states, we should do the same in Cozumel. Now I can budget for this (we don't usually carry a lot of cash with us on cruises). Your advice ties in with Colonial's, so thanks to both of you.

Just want to know to know where one dives in Colorado. (at least Texas has a coast).

TexEm, you got that right. We are so landlocked in Colorado. Where I am, I have the flat plains to the east and those big ole "rocks" to the west. Believe it or not, people do dive in the reservoirs -- drysuits, of course. You wouldn't catch me in that icy cold water.

Believe it or not, Colorado per capita has more certified scuba divers than any other state in the country. We're certainly an active bunch!

• 1 year later...

Tips on fishing charters run the full circle of $100 for a great day to zero if there is no catch and the outing was not fun. The no catch part is rather unfair in almost all cases since the crew generally wants you to catch fish. They also work pretty good keeping you in beer and other refreshments since the tip is all-important to a fishing crew; they are paid very little.

Generally you will have two workers at your service. A captain and a deck hand or marinaro. Typically the marinaro is getting about $15 for his day of work with you. If he gets half of a $50 tip, he will end up with about $40 for his hours at your service. With no tip, he has worked very hard for almost nothing.

Just keep that in mind when you are ready to leave the boat. Really think about what they did for you in work, not just did you catch fish. They have little or NO control over that.

Incidenatlly, boats don´t catch fish, so there is little advantage and nearly no common sense to picking a charter operator because of his boat.

Archived