Food Allergies ???

sandymac

We will be traveling with Carnival next month. My son has allergies to dairy, eggs, and nuts. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with food allergies on a cruise - is there a number I should call and let them know about the allergies, do i speak with the waiter once on the cruise???

What about Camp Carnival - do they give the kids snacks at all??

Also, I have an epi-pen - is there any problems carry them on a plane/and or the boat? Can I leave one with the camp?

Thanks for all your hlep.

Sandy

I seem to remember having seen something on here about cruising with kids with food allergies, but can't find the thread now...

Not sure how Carnival works, but I know with RCI, you can fill out some of the info online (like setting first or second seating in the dining room, etc) and for each of the cruisers, there was an option to enter whether or not there were any food allergies that the line should be aware of (my DD is allergic to peanuts/treenuts and strawberries).

I think I would probably call Carnival's line and ask what they recommend (both with regards to advising someone of the allergies and also about the epi-pen). Then I would also follow up with your waiter/CC staff once on the cruise. For Camp Carnival snacks, I would probably bring my own - that way, if they are having something where you can't read for yourself the list of ingredients, then your son already has some "safe" snacks.

I would think you would be able to keep the epi-pen in your checked luggage, but if you want to carry it on-flight with you (which is understandable), I'd call the airline to see what the current rules are.

Certainly no expert here, this is my first cruise since my pre-teen years and the first one that I'm actually planning (17 year gap!!). Good luck to ya and enjoy your cruise!

Heather

When I went on Princess (which is owned by Carnival) my two friedns botha had allergies. One was allegric to nuts and all seafood and the other to just nuts. everyday at dinner they would inform their waiter after placing their order.

hope that helps

I have twin sons and one has a number of food allergies (milk, nuts, bees, garlic, etc) and asthma. I told my TA when I booked (placed in the ship records for the ships doctor) and the Kids Camp director, also our waiters. Each cruise line (Celebrity and NCL) were both accommodating. I do have to note that Celebrity was more so, they had Soy milk and sorbet, NCL did not. Just let everyone who will be around your child know about his allergies. I also purchaced stickers and a ID braclet with instructions just to make double sure the Kids Camp would know what to do incase of an emergency. ASk the kids camp to give you a beeper in case they would need to get you quickly.

You will be fine.:)

Thank you for all your replies. I called Carnival and spoke with special services. She sent me a form to fill out explaining my son's allergies and reactions. She told me to go to the Pursers desk upon arrival and he will set up an appointment with the maitre d'. We will go over the menu and decide what James can or cannot eat. She is also ordering soy milk for the trip and egg substitutes. I also requested a refridgerator in the cabin for his prednisone and she was able to reserve one for me. The only tricky thing is giong to be Camp Carnival b/c you are not allowed to bring food in and they will not be able to acomadate his food allergies (that will only be done in the dining room). However, she said that since my son has food allergies, it shouldn't be a problem, although that is something I need to discuss with the camp director.

As far as the epi-pen. I went on to the Food AAlergic Network and they had information on traveling with it. It is fine to carry it on as long as it is in it's original prescription container. I also have a note from the doctor stating the importance of us carrying the epi-pen at all times.

Thanks for all your help,

Sandy

Archived