Driving in Grand Cayman??

MTinGA

Anyone experienced the drive to Rum Point in a rental? I am just a little worried about driving a rental on the left side, and how congested or confusing traffic is. Any help would be appreciated. I know I will probably be fine, but just the fear of the unknown!

Oh my God! I wouldn't ever try driving there after my last trip in November. They drive like their crazy and the roads are all under repair due to previous storms. Enjoy yor trip..take a shuttle bus or taxi and be safe! :)

We were there for a week the end of October and drove all over the island. It is easier if you have a right hand drive car. The only roads I can remember that were still in repair were a few areas going out to the East End past Breakers. The road from Georgetown to Rum Point is fine. The only difficulty you might encounter is in Georgetown, but if you study a map of the area, it's very easy to find the most direct way out. Just always remember to look to the right before pulling into traffic.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

It has been a few years since I was there, but I found that the drivers in GC are MUCH more friendly (and patient) than North Americans tend to be and they will often stop to let anyone into traffic so be careful not to drive too closely behind. Also, if you hear a honk it is usually a good thing - they are waving you into traffic or warning you they are turning or coming around a corner (unlike here, where it generally means they are angry at you for something).

Driving there is easy. We had no problems at all. We found the Cayman drivers to be very courteous. We rented a car with the drivers side on the left, which made things easier.

Just remember when going into a roundabout, you have to yield to those inside. The traffic moves at a slower pace there. We were never tailgated. Someone always let us in the traffice, and we did the same. They would honk as they passed us (their way of saying thanks).

We just returned from Grand Cayman and rented a car to drive to Rum Point. We were a little nervous too, but it was easy. The speed limit was between 30mph and 50mph. No one drove fast and there was very little traffic between the airport and Rum Point (we rented from Avis). We did not drive in the downtown area. That looked a little crazy. I was glad we rented from the airport, which is outside of the main town area. We assigned one person to be the navigator with the map and one to call out directions. "Turning left, stay in the left lane." or "Turning right, stay in the left lane." Seems kind of obvious, but when your not used to driving on the left it helped. My husband also said he preferred a left hand drive, one less thing to get used to.

Archived