Rhone done from Tortola only? Baths at VG or Rhone dive? Please help!

mlbcruiser

We are going on a March cruise and will be stopping in Tortola. We have plans at this time to go to the Baths at Virgin Gorda - one of the main reasons we chose this particular cruise. However, my husband dives and I would hate for him to miss the Rhone! Additionally, there is a good chance he will be attending a seminar for a wk. in St. Thos. in Nov. I was wondering if anyone knows if dive trips to the Rhone are offered by any dive operators from St. Thomas? That may seem a stupid question, but I really don't know how far away the Rhone is from St. Thos. (?). If he could do the Rhone from St. Thos., time wouldn't be a factor like it would be from a cruise. He also really does want to visit the Baths, though, and would hate to miss that if he can dive the Rhone in Nov. Since the Baths are quite unique, can those of you who have done both offer an opinion/information, please?Thanks for any help!

Hilary, thanks a BUNCH. Can you shed any more light on, say, the length of such an excursion or how long it takes to reach the Rhone area from St. Thomas? I assume that it would take nearly all day (not a problem if we will be staying in St. Thomas in Nov.). Are they any dive operators doing the Rhone that you would recommend in St. Thomas?

Additionally, when we are in St. Thos. this March on our cruise, my husband may well want to do a dive from there then as well. Coki Beach is the only one our ship offers as an excursion and I know that it is bookable independently. Would you happen to know if there any other good sites to visit (dive) that would be easily doable and maybe better than Coki that he could do when only in port for one day? Thanks again.

Dove RMS Rhone in December 2005 from the Carnival Liberty. They used Dive Tortola and they did one excellent job! Both 2-tank dives were professionally filmed and edited by Rainbow Visions. The boat ride was about 25 minutes to Salt Island from Road Town, Tortola. I don't know about trips from St. Thomas but DONT'T MISS the RMS Rhone. My friend visited the Baths but he is a none diver.

Twinflow, we will be on the Liberty, too. That is the problem! We have seen pictures of and heard great things about the Baths. I know just from my own reading that the Rhone has been famous for many yrs. So - I guess my DH will have to decide whether to wait and hope for St. Thos. in Nov. or what. Thanks for your input. By the way, how did you like your Liberty cruise? (Normally Carnival would not be our first choice, though we do sail w/them from time to time. But the itinerary is the reason we chose it.)

I believe reading that going to the Rhone from St. Thomas is an all day dive thing, but definitely doable if your DH doesn't mind a long boat ride. We had the same choice between the Baths and the Rhone, but since both my DH and I are divers, it was a no-brainer for us. The Rhone was an amazing dive, especially when you consider she's over 100 years old and her bow is still intact! The stern is wrecked all over the reef, but you can still see masts, boilers, and the famous propeller. It's really a world class wreck dive when you factor in her history and age. As a diver, I simply wouldn't miss it.

There are definitely some good dives in St. Thomas. When we were there last year we dove the Navy Barges and an inner reef. Navy Barges were fun to explore and do swim thrus and the inner reef was really pretty with all the coral and sponges. There are better wrecks around St. Thomas to dive, and the reefs of St. Johns are pretty.

We booked privately with Blue Island Divers and were very pleased with them. They picked us up and dropped us off in front of the cruise ship (at the end of the dock) and the service was excellent. We saw the Admiralty boat pull up as well and chatted with those folks. Since I've heard good things about them, I'd say they would be an excellent choice too. We were easily back by noon, which left the afternoon for shopping and exploring.

Hilary, I am going to try to look up Blue Is. Divers. I really appreciate the info. Last nt. my husband said he would just do Coki so that I could hang out at the beach and snorkel while he dives, but I would rather he get in a good dive and can find some other tour or just go to the beach by myself. (I try hard not to be a diving widow. Like in Kauai in Nov. I went along on the dive boat and just snorkeled by myself - capt. on board looked out for me and the divers were below me - in about 50 ft. of water at one stop and 65 ft. at another. I did see large turtles and fish, so it was fine w/me!) I feel badly that my DH probably won't be doing the Rhone yet. I have a feeling he will get on the ship, talk to someone else who has done it, and then wish he was doing it, too. But we have already contracted to go on a private boat to the Baths and he could still cancel, but if he sticks w/his decision to accompany me, he won't be able to cancel once we are on the cruise. Thanks again for the info. on everything! :)

Check out Chris Sawyer for your husband too. http://www.sawyerdive.vi/ This is the op that goes to the Rhone from St. Thomas (on Fridays), and it definitely looks like a doable trip for him when he's there later this year. Maybe that'll help him enjoy the Baths more and not feel like he's missing out...just that he's postponing his Rhone experience.

Oh, I just looked at the Chris Sawyer site, and they do dives w/cruiseship passengers and SNORKELERS are welcomed! This might be it if my dh sticks w/his so-far decision to go to the Baths! And you are correct, they do offer the Rhone trip. I'm really glad you answered my post! THANKS, Hilary!

The ship is beautiful to say the least! The crew was very friendly and they always talked to the passengers. The passengers were also great and we made many friends by the end of the 8-day cruise. The food was excellent and the shows were good. I loved Antiqua and Tortola also the short stop in San Juan was fun. I would recommend the Liberty to everyone and plan on going again. I must state again how friendly the crew was. Last Oct I made the mistake of taking a Caribbean Princess Cruise.....never again.

• 1 year later...

When are you in Totola for the Rhone dive. I am trying to decide between this and the Baths with my wife who is not a diver. We are arriving on the Zenith March 19th and trying to see if there is anyone who picks up at the ship or do you have to go to Virgin Gorda and meet with a dive shop there. Ship tour is 142 and private is 90 but have to factor in getting there I think.

knuyens, I just got a notification of your post so I assume it's a 2/1/07 post?

To bring things up to date, my dh did NOT do the Rhone from STT. He did attend the seminar in St. Thomas last Nov. They had NO dives going from STT except on Fri., and we had to fly home on Sat., so that was a no-go. On the previous Wed. we went via boat from STT to Virgin Gorda and it took well over an hour to get there. I would say closer to 2! Our boat had to make a stop in Spanishtown and show customs our passports, etc. (BTW, when we were on the Liberty last March, my dh chose to do the Baths and didn't do the Rhone. We didn't even get to do the Baths, though, as our boat could not go up to the shore due to seas being too choppy! We did, however, visit them in Nov.)

NOW we are about to cruise on NCL's Pearl, but will be in Tortola on 3/22, not the same date as you. I have booked my husband for the Rhone dive through the ship. The reason is because our ship is only in port until 1 p.m. We had a close call on a dive trip in Cozumel getting back to our ship in time a few yrs. ago. We don't want to risk anything causing him to miss the ship! If he's on THEIR tour, this can't happen. The ship would have to wait. Just hope the sea conditions will allow for the dive. March is notorious for having seas not condusive to visiting the Baths OR the Rhone at times! (I think the excursion costs slightly less than the one offered from your ship, but not a lot less.) Hope you get the dive in as it's supposed to be outstanding! Best of luck!

Archived