Whale watching Cabo vs. PV???

Annie3131

Hello all,

I'm going on the NCL Star the end of the month. I would like to do a Whale watching tour but can't decide which place is better, Cabo or PV. Please advise!!! Also, would you do the ship thing or just hop off the ship and find one?

Thanks in advance for help.

Annie

Haven't been whale watching in Cabo, but it's great in Puerto Vallarta.

Don't expect to hop off the ship and just go whale watching without reservations. You can book with your ship and pay a lot more, or you can book with a tour booking agency online to save money. Either way, it's a better option than not booking in advance.

My sister and I were on the Star on the 12/10 sailing. We did the Whale Watching excursion through the ship. We had a great time. The guide on board was wonderful. One thing though you go on a small boat with only 8-10 people. And you pretty much bounce across the water as they go far to try and find whales for you. So beware if you are prone to motion sickness. But it was great! We saw lots of whales. A mother and her calf. 2 males vying for the attention of a female. And saw some breaches. Boy those whales can come out of the water! We had a gorgeous day. One suggestion would be to go in the morning. The guide said the waters are usually calmer in the morning and it's easier to spot the whales.

That's my experience in PV. When we were in Cabo they hadn't started to go out whale watching yet so I have no knowledge of what it's like there.

Archived