Solo Single Cruisers

• 2 weeks later...

Booked Carnival Freedom for December 17. I am 34 year old female from NY, going solo. I saw hoping to maybe find single people to chat here with and meet on the cruise. I also would like to know if anyone would want to share a cab in Nassau to Paradise Beach and back. Also in St. Thomas I prefer to take a cab there as well to Magans Bay Beach, I have been there a few times, the beach is so beautiful there. But the cruiseline overcharges, makes sense to do it alone and maybe find another person to go with. I feel safer to do this with another person, I would feel a bit nervous doing it alone. It would be also great to meet people my age to go dancing with in the late evenings.

<!-- / message -->

Hi - I usually travel as a single since my hubby as no interest in travelling overseas. I've had really good luck and some nice cabins travelling with Voyages to Antiquity. The company has a very low single supplement sometimes only about 10% extra and will drop the supplement on some of the tours. I'd love to hear about any other deals . Shar

Hello everyone,

Solo cruiser here. 48 year old female. My first cruise/solo cruise was on Carnival and I've cruised ever since. I've traveled solo for many years at resorts, but cruising solo was such a great experience. I got to meet alot of interesting people, more than I would if I were traveling to a resort. I enjoyed getting involved in the activities on board, especially Karaoke..of course, and after that I'm like famous for the remainder of the cruise..lol. Great way to meet people! I'm also a hater of the single suppliment. I too would like to find a cabin mate one day to avoid it. I've never tried sharing a cabin on a cruise before, but I know people have many fears of different things. I've shared a room in a Hostel once in San Diego with four other ladies from different parts of the globe, and I had such a great time I extended my visit for a few more days. Personality has alot to do with it, of course.

I'm a quiet, early riser, happy morning person and I like to go find my coffee and sit and watch the sun rise on the balcony or in the Garden Cafe and then hit the gym.

How about discussing concerns or Do's and Don'ts when sharing a cabin? I would like to know what others are thinking.

Here's something I found on "A Singles Guide to Cruising"

Sharing a Cabin

If single supplement charges equal the difference between going on holiday or staying home, the only alternative is to share a cabin, either with a companion found through travel ads or by choosing a cruise line or group that pairs up singles. Rooming with a stranger is a gamble, but on the positive side, there is always a chance of meeting a true kindred spirit, and the possibility of making a lasting friendship. And, unlike traveling with friends or relations, two strangers have freshness on their side – there are no old issues, hangups, or personal grudges to color every situation.

On the other hand, some people snore. Some people smoke. Some people read in bed. Some people are restless sleepers. Some people are cheerful early risers. Some people talk a lot. Some people are nit-pickers. Some people are clinging vines.

After an honest assessment of your own idiosyncrasies and habits, you'll probably admit to a few personal imperfections yourself, then you can honestly decide whether or not you can be flexible enough to tolerate a roommate, or indeed whether you yourself are a tolerable roommate.

If the answer is "no" either way, you obviously have no other choice but to pay whatever price is necessary to have sole occupancy of a cabin.

Well, still waiting for the system at the Voyages to Antiquity office to get all th einfo in then I'm booking a back to back cruise called Bangkok to Bali starting Dec. 27, 2012. 33 days away from my hubby is a long time but as he said I'll only have to fly once there and once back.

Hi Ontariotrekker,

Wow..over a month away from your DH. That's great that your relationship can handle distance for extended periods of time for personal growth. Some wives/husbands would not ever consider doing anything like that. Kudos to you guys!

I wanted to say thank you for the info on Voyage to Antiquity Cruises. I looked at the site and found it to be of interest to me for something I would like to consider for my 50th Birthday cruise in April 2013. I wanted something exotic and exciting and I think the itineraries are perfect.

I wanted to ask a question about some of the cruises that have flights once in port. Is there an extra charge or is it included in price of the cruise? If it's an extra charge, how is that handled?

You are welcome for the info. Re V2A the price includes all flights and hotel stays. My extra expenses were bar tab, tips for the excursion guides, souvenirs and any optional tours I took with the ship. The optional tours often took us into the country and further away from the port which was great. With the exception of Mykonos, there was always at least a half day tour.

You may have to pay for your lunch/dinner when away from the ship but breakfast is always included. - Shar

Hi - well I thought I'd posted a reply so sorry if this posts 2X. The flights and hotel stays are included in the price ie. Petra for groups leaving in November.

Extra costs - bar tab ( but you do get wine with dinner), tips for excurison guides, souvenirs, internet/spa stuff and if you take one of te ship's optional excursions which is highly recommend. With the exception of Mykonos this time the ship always had a least a half day trip. In the afternoon when possible they had a shuttle bus to take us into the local city or town. Shar

Hi Shar,

I have now found the brochure and have read the info regarding this cruise line. I ordered the brochure for 2013. I'm starting to feel good about what I'm reading. I like that they have lectures and all. I'm used to the big cruise lines so it will be a change. I'm not too much into the disco and gambling life on the ship, so I won't be missing that. I have also read some of the reviews on Cruise Critic which were really good. Can't wait to learn more.

Barbara