Tablemate stories

chorder

Wife and I are booked on the Voyager for the April 29th sailing ,this will be our 5th cruise it will be the 1st for just the 2 of us(always went with other couples in the past)Instead of going it alone at dinner each night asked our TA to put us with others, hoping to meet some new people not to worried about I think most people are pretty friendly,But would like to hear some experiences of others that have done this. Thanx Bill

We always try and get at least 2 other couples at our table, if not more. We are together all the time at home, and we both look forward to conversation with our fellow cruisers! Can't wait to get to dinner each night and find out what everybody else did all day! The loners will probably not use the dining room anyway, so your tablemates should be as friendly as you!

We've usually had pretty good experiences. They seem to tend to try to put people of similar ages together, which is nice. We once had a single older gentleman at our table who complained and whined about everything, every night, which put a bit of a downer on things but otherwise, we've been lucky.

Meeting new people and making new friends is the highlight of the cruise for us. I agree that meeting at dinner to hear what everyone else did that day is fun. If you got stuck with people you didn't like, you could ask to be moved or eat at a different place. It's well worth the risk!

We have had 6 Royal Caribbean cruises and always had large tables. Always met wonderful people some of whom we are still in contact with. My DH is a model railroader and our last cruise there was a model railroader at our table. Small world. My DH was elated with this. For me this is one of the best parts of cruising, meeting wonderful people.

Jan

I have to say DH and I have had great tablemates. We have only been on three cruises, (fourth in June) but all have been a great experience. We have had a good time with all. I think our first cruise would have to be the best. We were seated with two other couples, who did not know each other. The six of us became great friends and spent most of the cruise together. We have had the same great time with the others on the other cruises. It is so much fun to talk with new people and learn things. I hope everyone is as lucky as we have been

Husband and I havent been as lucky being matched with tablemates that were around our ages and interests. We usually get sat with a family, with adults in their 50s or so, and dont have much in common with them because we are only 28/32 and havent had the joy of raising a family yet..so we cant relate to them with that sorta stuff and swap stories. Maybe we will have better luck in future.

We did a table for 2 on honeymoon, and that was nice. We are doing the buffet for dinner each night on our March cruise on Legend, so trying a different route again to see how we like it. Change IS good!

Since this is about tablemate stories, I remember one time I had a family (husband/wife/16 yr old daughter and 11 year old son) and the teen daughter wore a dress to dinner one night and the father said loudly IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE TABLE "Missy you best not be wearing a thong under that dress. You march right back to the room and take that thong off this instant!" How did he know she had a thong on???!!?? Ick!

DH and I were in complete and utter shock. I mean what do you say to that!???

We are a family of three and they sat us with a family of three....the dad was most likely the most arrogant man we had ever met. One night he got angry with the waiter for something really small and we were shocked at his rudeness. My husband went out of his way to be kind to the waiter after that. Well they left without saying goodbye and never returned. I guess he expected us all to be rude.

Since then we sit by ourselves - I don't need that kind of stress on my vacation.

Yeah I agree with that 3ofus ,there is no need to be rude ,especially to someone that is trying to give you the best service they can,nobody is perfect. Though it is too bad you had a bad experience .It does seem like most people get pretty good tablemates?

We asked for a large table on the next cruise. We are sailing with our kids (7 of us total) how many other people will be at our table? We have well mannered kids, 10,15, 17,17,22 so I don't worry about us intruding on others. I just didn't know how many people are seated at the "large" tables.:D

Our large table on the Granduer

-My family. Mom, Dad, Me (19), Sis (17)

-A single middle aged guy named Chet

-A hilarious couple, Warren and Anita. Reminded me of Samuel. L. Jackson

-A family of three, Mom, Dad, and kid named Trevor, about 10 or 11.

We were all pretty different, but it was really fun sharing our stories and getting to know one another. We got a picture taken of the whole table, and we ended up buying one.

I have been on 3 cruises, the best experience was when my sister and I traveled without our husbands, and we were placed with a group of women from Canada that were celebrating turning sixty in the next year. They took us under their "wings" and made us feel so welcome. We shared laughter and tears as we shared life stories all week. I truly wished that we would of kept in touch. Lesson to all if you exchange emails take time to respond. Looking forward to our Feb. 5 cruise on the Rhapsady.

If cruising with a group I like the large tables. When it's just 2 of us, I prefer a table for 6 as it's easier to talk with others at the table. When it gets too big it's hard to hear those at the other end. I request not to be seated with families especially with kids (I know.. I hear the darts wizzing by). It's not that I don't like them, I just don't have any interest with those still in the "raising years". Been there, done that, blessed mine are in their 20's.

We asked for a large table on the next cruise. We are sailing with our kids (7 of us total) how many other people will be at our table? We have well mannered kids, 10,15, 17,17,22 so I don't worry about us intruding on others. I just didn't know how many people are seated at the "large" tables.:D

Usually the LARGE tables seat 10-12 people

we too will be going "alone" for the first time, as our best friends that always went with us on our past cruises, are getting a divorce now (sucks!)...so we are at it alone for DH 40th B-day in May...even though we've been w/our friends in the past, we still have always requested a large table...and have had a great time w/our table mates. I fear this time since we're alone it might be the one time we have not so good table mates...but keeping fingers crossed we do...we're going away for the first time in years w/out children..so hoping no children will be at our table (no offense, just want an adult week :)

We have cruised by ourselves (just DH and I) and with friends. We are in our mid-20s with no kids and have never had a bad table experience, the first cruise I ever went on I was a teenager and there were 5 of us traveling together (DM, friend 18, me 18, little bro 16 and little bros friend 16) and we were sat at a table with 2 teachers from New York, they were nice but we didn't really have anything to talk about.

The next cruise was just DH and I and we were sat with 2 other couples that were amazingly just our age, we had a blast, we still keep in touch from time to time.

The next cruise was DH, DH's best friend and me and we sat at a large table (for 10) and it was really fun. Pretty much everyone at our table were in our age range and the group was very diverse. DH and I were the only two married people at the table but we still had a wonderful time.

Archived