Hair braiding on RCCL Cocobay Cay?

TN Vol Fan

Beware of braiding...because of head lice..I read on the boards before my last cruise about this issue.The posts said that the same comb is used on all customers and head lice are not uncommon..One poster said she brought her own comb.I didnt plan on getting my hair braided, but I noticed on the HAL private island that there was a braiding booth and sure enough the same comb was being used on everyone....

Thanks for the info, Chris. I can tell my friends to bring their own comb to avoid a community one if they can find a booth. They were hoping that if the cruise line controls who works in the booth, maybe they controlled the sanitary conditions also. That doesn't seem to be the case at least for HAL, maybe RCCL does differently. We'll just have to see. But I will remind them about their own comb. R.L.:cool:

I think several years ago on CC there were several posts about this. I remember reading them back in 2001 when we went on our first cruise (many of the posts were lost a while back). Maybe things have changed but from what I remember....most braiding stations....cruiseline run or not use the same combs....I think someone said they wiped them down with something but that isnt enough to kill lice....Lice can be hard little bugs to get rid of...I would be worried about ringworm of the scalp, also, which is very hard to get rid of...not to mention the loss of hair.

Archived