costa maya port question

muffyn

ok, so last time we were in Costa Maya was in 2007. not much to do, we just sat on beach right by the dock.

planning on our soon trip I am lost looking at the pictures. it looks nothing like I remember. searching I see a hurricane hit in 2007. 

so question. did the dock get rebuilt & moved? because it was previously so long you had to take a bus from the ship to the end of

the dock.

looking at pictures taken over the last several years in trip reports, I am amazed at the difference.  i cant believe all the trees on the beach(?) they certainly were not that\

covered. I think we will go to Blue Kay, it looks like this is the closest one to the port? possibly where we were before? was the dock near there?

I am totally confused looking back at my pictures of our trip.

24 minutes ago, muffyn said:

ok, so last time we were in Costa Maya was in 2007. not much to do, we just sat on beach right by the dock.

planning on our soon trip I am lost looking at the pictures. it looks nothing like I remember. searching I see a hurricane hit in 2007. 

so question. did the dock get rebuilt & moved? because it was previously so long you had to take a bus from the ship to the end of

the dock.

looking at pictures taken over the last several years in trip reports, I am amazed at the difference.  i cant believe all the trees on the beach(?) they certainly were not that\

covered. I think we will go to Blue Kay, it looks like this is the closest one to the port? possibly where we were before? was the dock near there?

I am totally confused looking back at my pictures of our trip.

The port of Costa Maya is still in the same place and has been rebuilt and then renovated too, since 2007. It has been developed considerably with amenities added within the port. A waterpark was added fairly recently outside the port area. 

It is still a long pier which may/may not have a long shuttle bus (tractor with carriages) running the length if it, for gratuities. (Not sure if you are confusing it with really long pier at Progreso, which does have an actual bus running the length of it?)

You used to be able to walk, along the coast, or catch a shuttle bus/taxi to the very nearby town of Mahahual. Now the coastal path is closed off and you need to take shuttle or taxi (about 10 mins).

The town of Mahahual was completely rebuilt too and is no longer the fishing village with dirt road - there is now a paved malecon the length of the town with beach bars one after another. Blue Kay is the first beach bar, nearset to the port, and next to the lighthouse in Mahahual.

Try using Google maps for a virtual walk along the malecon, continuing south to Maya Chan and Almaplena (at a considerable distance out if town) and often mentioned on here.

TY.

looking at my pics I think i have both ports in same folder, ( must have been right after each other).

but interesting to see how costa maya has changed.

how difficult is it to find the taxis? reading some reviews they say its a maze.

3 hours ago, muffyn said:

TY.

looking at my pics I think i have both ports in same folder, ( must have been right after each other).

but interesting to see how costa maya has changed.

how difficult is it to find the taxis? reading some reviews they say its a maze.

Taxis are outside the port as they are not allowed in for pick up, only drop off. The shuttle to town is at the exit and only takes you TO town, you need a taxi back.

The exit is signposted but to reach the “official” exit they now take you all the way round the shopping area inside the port, which is quite a long walk. There are a couple of exits before the official one, or you can cut through some of the shops but it is not encouraged as it takes you to the car park where the excursion busses leave from. Depending on the time of day it can be busy with people blocking the sidewalk, or traffic in the car park but it is shorter than the official route.

This link may help

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/costa-maya-port-455

• Thanks 1