Marella Explorer 2 in October 2019

Is anyone booked for the beginning of October? I've been looking at the Mediterranean Gems and weather wise it seems to be still ok at that time of the year. Not sure if this is a completely new cruise or if this was done previously on another ship. Anyone got any info on the ports, please. The main ones I'm interested in are Livorno, Toulon, and Civitavecchia. Are you best to book an excursion with the travel agent or can they be done from the ship? Also are the ships still as busy in October?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi you can do most excursions from the ship the three ports you have mentioned are great but would recommend, if its your first time, you use the ship for your excursions particularly Rome which is a great trip on your own but we have seen so many cruisers in trouble with problems on the road  and rail return its not worth the worry, others will disagree with me but I have seen the problems. Have a great cruise. 😎

• 1 month later...

What is the fb group event? Im still confused re my baggage. On my confirmation it states dont need to collect it at Naples, will go straight to ship  but ive read that isnt the case, quite concerned as, if im wrong, may be wearing a tablecloth for a week if its stuck at Naples!!

What is the fb group event? Im still confused re my baggage. On my confirmation it states dont need to collect it at Naples, will go straight to ship  but ive read that isnt the case, quite concerned as, if im wrong, may be wearing a tablecloth for a week if its stuck at Naples!!

5 hours ago, Captain Lucky said:

Hi SB, i bet people are waiting for reviews after the first cruise in May. Ive done as much research as possible so no turning back now! As long as im not seasick or next to thrusters on ship should be ok i think.

I think your right CL. Perhaps once the ship has started sailing we will here lots more comments. I also have no idea if I collect my luggage or not. So hopefully more info by the time it's our turn 😀

I have booked this cruise for July. If no one else reports back then I will post a comment/review in July.  Hope the Explorer 2 is better than the Explorer.

Never been to Italy before so will definitely be booking the Rome tour.

Sorry, don't be put off by that comment, I did enjoy the Explorer cruise.

In the past couple of years I have cruised on  Majesty x2, Discovery x3 and for me they were a better experience than Explorer. However Explorer is a new (Marella) ship with new inexperienced staff, some were bumbling around a bit. It is a nice ship but the food and service needs a bit of improvement, hopefully it will improve. Another point, for me entirely subjective, Explorer was a bit too big and impersonal I preferred Discovery 2. My next cruise is on Dream a smaller older ship. I have booked another on Explorer, just for the itinerary, so if it were that bad I would not be cruising on it again. Please don't be put off by my comment, just subjective. 

Added, A nice touch,which the other don't have, is a proper Cinema.

Edited by GOQ