Just Booked April 2007 QE2 Transatlantic!

Johnsy81

DG and I have dreamed of crossing on QE2 and have never been to London, so we bit the bullet today and booked with Cunard. We're in an M4 guarantee (all reservations for any segment of the World Cruise are guarantee only). We got a decent fare of $951 per person, plus one-way air of $389 per person. I asked the Cunard rep about hotel packages in London, and they mentioned a few that Cunard currently does business with (Crown Plaza St. James, Thistle St. James, Marble Arch, Goren, Renaissance). The hotel cost includes transfers (usually $85 per person from London to Southampton). In 2006, the Crown Paza St. James is $349 per person per day which seems steep; however, the US dollar is not too strong right now. In your experiences (and I know there are many of you out there!), would there really be any savings in booking the hotel separately and using Cunard for the transfers to Southampton?

I am so excited...2007 is QE2's Silver Jubilee World Cruise and we are so looking forward to seeing London, the QE2 and crossing the North Atlantic. Any pearls of wisdom any of you can share would be appreciated as I already have a folder with lots of information on QE2 and London in general.

This message board has been of immense help to us as we plan this journey. I will stay in touch and hope to hear from some of you (and maybe even meet many veteran "crossers" in April '07).

Happy New Year to all!

DG and I have dreamed of crossing on QE2 and have never been to London, so we bit the bullet today and booked with Cunard. We're in an M4 guarantee (all reservations for any segment of the World Cruise are guarantee only). We got a decent fare of $951 per person, plus one-way air of $389 per person. I asked the Cunard rep about hotel packages in London, and they mentioned a few that Cunard currently does business with (Crown Plaza St. James, Thistle St. James, Marble Arch, Goren, Renaissance). The hotel cost includes transfers (usually $85 per person from London to Southampton). In 2006, the Crown Paza St. James is $349 per person per day which seems steep; however, the US dollar is not too strong right now. In your experiences (and I know there are many of you out there!), would there really be any savings in booking the hotel separately and using Cunard for the transfers to Southampton?

I am so excited...2007 is QE2's Silver Jubilee World Cruise and we are so looking forward to seeing London, the QE2 and crossing the North Atlantic. Any pearls of wisdom any of you can share would be appreciated as I already have a folder with lots of information on QE2 and London in general.

This message board has been of immense help to us as we plan this journey. I will stay in touch and hope to hear from some of you (and maybe even meet many veteran "crossers" in April '07).

Happy New Year to all!

Did you do your air with Cunard? I have a deposit for M-guarantee but figured I would book air later on in the year to see what shakes out. But $389 for one way economy air is great!

I'm confused - where is the 2007 crossing thread?

At the end of the 2006 crossing thread. Transatlantic Tom has already started the list for 2007 and I think all of us who did 2006 would like to keep the thread going.

Would ti nit be logical to start a new thread. This will be confusing to new joiners.

David.

Probably but in the case of the Cunard board the message lists are small relative to say Carnival or Celebrity and most of us that troll the boards on a daily basis look at most of the messages anyways. I would suggest that we keep the discussion inside the main Cunard board instead of starting a roll call. Roll Call boards are useful for the larger fleets when there are hundreds of individual cruises to discuss but in the case of Cunard here we are talking about just a couple very unique ones.

I wasn't on the 2006 crossing that just completed but been following the boards and picked up the discussion for 2007 from there. Since many of the 2006 crossers will repeat in 2007 discussion just continued on.

Try Londontown.com for more reasonable London Hotel rates. They will only reserve a year in advance but they have excellent rates at 3 and 4 star hotels if you reserve a few months in advance. Cunards rates are much too high, even with the currency difference!

Probably but in the case of the Cunard board the message lists are small relative to say Carnival or Celebrity and most of us that troll the boards on a daily basis look at most of the messages anyways. I would suggest that we keep the discussion inside the main Cunard board instead of starting a roll call. Roll Call boards are useful for the larger fleets when there are hundreds of individual cruises to discuss but in the case of Cunard here we are talking about just a couple very unique ones.

I wasn't on the 2006 crossing that just completed but been following the boards and picked up the discussion for 2007 from there. Since many of the 2006 crossers will repeat in 2007 discussion just continued on.

Hogwash I say! ( in all due respect ), if some dear person is looking for the

2007 crossing info, they are not going to think to find it under "2006".

We have many-a-newbie on this board ever since QM2 came 'on-board'

It's been said - thank you.

( ... and Mr. "Vic the parrot", where are you? you are not as active

as you were! )

I've been with the 2006 thread since the beginning even though I was unable to do that crossing. I hope to be aboard in Jan 2007. I will continue to monitor the 2006 thread as long as there is activity, but I think that a new thread for 2007 should exist. It's OK with me if there is only one thread for both January and April.

I agree with the others - the 2006 thread should be for reminiscing about 2006. There should also be a 2007 thread for looking forward to 2007.

It's just counterintuitive that a thread entitled "January 3, 2006" should be "the place to go" for information on crossings in 2007.

Did you do your air with Cunard? I have a deposit for M-guarantee but figured I would book air later on in the year to see what shakes out. But $389 for one way economy air is great!

Yes, this was the airfare Cunard quoted me. We'll be flying from NY/JFK to Heathrow a couple of days in advance of boarding QE2. No details yet (too early for hotels and flights). Interestingly enough, we're wait listed for second seating dining in Mauretania...we asked for table for 8 (after all, the purpose of this trip is to meet people). The Cunard rep said not to worry as the trip is still so far out and the dining room situation should change.

Yes, this was the airfare Cunard quoted me. We'll be flying from NY/JFK to Heathrow a couple of days in advance of boarding QE2. No details yet (too early for hotels and flights). Interestingly enough, we're wait listed for second seating dining in Mauretania...we asked for table for 8 (after all, the purpose of this trip is to meet people). The Cunard rep said not to worry as the trip is still so far out and the dining room situation should change.

Since this will be our first Winter Crossing we will likely book a large table as well, and likely for the first seating. I cannot be lingering in the dining room at 10PM as much as I might enjoy dinner. I am not a heavy eater (diabetes) and like to enjoy the evening venues. While I am sure those of us on the 2007 crossing will be well acquainted from the boards yes I intend to spend alot of time relaxing and enjoying but also meeting alot of fabulous people. :D

Archived