New to St. Croix....looking for advice

grest

We are looking forward to visiting this island, but we aren't sure about doing the ship's tours.  The bus tours are so hit and miss, we don't hike or kayak or scuba, we cannot drink due to health issues, you get the idea.  But we want to see what we should see, and are hoping the St. Croix experts can make suggestions.  Thanks so much.

No expert here, but we rented a car and drove to the Botanical Garden and Christiansted.  I'd never driven on the left side before, but traffic isn't bad and there were no confusing intersections, so it was much easier than I expected.  Also, unlike most left-side driving countries, the cars have the steering wheel on the same side we're accustomed to in the US, so that helps as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, OttawaCountess said:

What is a "taxi bus"?

It's usually a 10- or 12-person van that charges a RT fee to take you to a certain location.  For instance, we went to Rainbow Beach for $6 per person, RT.  You keep your ticket stub and show that to them to get a seat on the return trip.  There are different companies that run these vans so the ticket colors may differ, to ensure you take the same company's van back to the pier.

HTH!

14 hours ago, SleepingUgly said:

It's usually a 10- or 12-person van that charges a RT fee to take you to a certain location.  For instance, we went to Rainbow Beach for $6 per person, RT.  You keep your ticket stub and show that to them to get a seat on the return trip.  There are different companies that run these vans so the ticket colors may differ, to ensure you take the same company's van back to the pier.

HTH!

Thank you for your prompt reply.  This is very good.

• 1 month later...

You mentioned you couldn't scuba, but since snorkeling is different I thought I'd mention snorkeling at Buck Island.  

It was beautiful.

We took our excursion through the ship, but I'm sure there are other options.  The guide pointed out highlights on our way to where we would get on a boat and then we had a nice ride to the reef at Buck Island.  

Here is a video from both pictures and videos of the island and snorkeling.

https://youtu.be/l4oz6bjiAgE