Advantage to hiring guide ahead of time?

cruising cheeseheads

Is there an advantage to hiring a guide before we take our cruise? I tried Beno but he's booked so he said his assistant could take us, but I read one review that said they weren't happy with the assistant or the noisy van that he drove. I also tried another guide that was recommended but haven't received a reply from him.

I'm wondering if we can just take our chances when we get into port and take one that's available. There will be 4 of us traveling together.

I think there is an advantage to hiring a guide before getting to the island. You will be able to get right off the ship and begin your tour. The operator will get you to the popular stops before the Carnival cattle calls arrive! You can also work out your itinerary before hand and have your day all planned out.

If you're a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of person.....there will be many operators waiting at the port to take you on a tour. It will be pretty much the luck of the draw whether you get someone good or not.

Now, about Beno and Joseph.......Beno has become very popular for very good reason. We still email each other and I consider him my friend on the island! He has had to purchase another car and hire another driver because of his popularity.

I, too, read the review from the person who was not happy with his tour with Joseph. Everyone has their own experience and I was not there, so I can not say he was wrong. I can only say that, from my understanding, he had contacted Beno, Beno gave him information and never heard from him again as to whether he wanted to book or not. In the mean time, Beno had booked another party of 8-10 people. So when the man showed up, he was put with the second group with Joseph as the driver.

Others have enjoyed their tour with Joseph and there are reviews to that affect. About the vehicle.....this was the same one we took our tour in and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It did not have mechanical problems, the A/C worked perfectly, there was plenty of room, it was not noisy...it was in great shape as far as I'm concerned!

The tour operators depend on the cruisers.....this is how they make their living and support their families. They can not afford to give shoddy service. Beno has a reputation to uphold and can not afford to hire someone that will cost him business. As with anything else, you can not make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time.

Sorry for such a long winded response, but I want you to be as informed as possible and enjoy your time on the island! It really is a beautiful place! If I could not get Beno personally, I would not hesitate to go with Joseph....I really think you should give it a try!!

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

I'm sure that there are lots of guides that can give a pretty good tour of the island of Dominica, but I'm positive that the 3-4 that get mentioned on these boards, get mentioned for very good reason. I would personally book with someone recommended by the great folks here on CC before I took a chance. This is one fabulous island!!! If you cannot reach Beno or get into his tour, then might I recommend Reynold of Reyno Tours?? reynotours@hotmail.com

Archived