If you have been to Coz. recently Please Help

missinde

We are going to Cozumel Feb. 3 on Explorer. I have read that the tenders "really aren't a problem". This is our first cruise, how long does that mean.

1. If we don't do a RCI ecursion so don't get 1st tender tickets how soon can we expect to be off the ship.

2. We want to go to Xcaret, how far are the tender docks from the ferry docks (minutes)?

3. I read once that you could take a tender from Playa Del Carmen to the ship, is this true? Or just for RCI excursions?

4. We are leaving from Miami my Royal Caribbean Itinerary says Cozumel 7:00am - 5:00pm, Cozumel is on central time does this mean we will be there from 6:00-4:00 central time?

I am so confused about times, and we leave in two weeks, I would really appreciate some help. Thank you

Nicole:o

We were in Cozumel last week. Tenders were not a problem as they are using huge ferries. There may be a 10 minute wait for them to get loaded, but it never took us more than 15 minutes in either direction including loading times. They'll likely have two running, so as one is leaving from the ship to the pier, another one is transiting in the opposite direction.

Tender tickets were not needed, so you'll just need to go down to the tender area when you're ready to leave. As for the time, the ship will change enroute to central time, so you'll be there from 7 am to 5 pm.

The only time I went to Playa off of the ship, we tendered ashore and the ship continued to Cozy. We then ferried over after the tour to Tulum.

I would suggest that you use the package through the line, 'cuase the logistics are an issue in Cozy right now. Most of the piers are gone, and if you ain't on a ship's tour, they ain't waiting.

We were there a week ago. Tendering is always a pain. But it was as good as anyplace where you have to tender...the piers are a different matter, you will see when you get there.

You will have a lot of fun. Wish I were going, instead of just getting back.

I just got back from Radiance on the western carib. itinerary last week. The whole time we were on the "ships time" which if I remember correctly was the same time that my watch read (which I never changed from when we left port in Miami).

The tenders for the ships tours go directly to the mainland and return directly to the ship. Otherwise, you have to take the tender to the tender dock which is the same as the ferry dock to catch the ferry to the mainland and reverse that at your return. I would not try it.

We are going to Cozumel Feb. 3 on Explorer. I have read that the tenders "really aren't a problem". This is our first cruise, how long does that mean.

1. If we don't do a RCI ecursion so don't get 1st tender tickets how soon can we expect to be off the ship.

2. We want to go to Xcaret, how far are the tender docks from the ferry docks (minutes)?

3. I read once that you could take a tender from Playa Del Carmen to the ship, is this true? Or just for RCI excursions?

4. We are leaving from Miami my Royal Caribbean Itinerary says Cozumel 7:00am - 5:00pm, Cozumel is on central time does this mean we will be there from 6:00-4:00 central time?

I am so confused about times, and we leave in two weeks, I would really appreciate some help. Thank you

Nicole:o

I would not do the tour unless it was through the ship, as some of the tenders that they are using used to be ferry's to the mainland, therfore limiting the ferry schedule. When you tender into cozumel you may not end up at the ferry pier, as it depends largly on the number of ships that day, all piers are within 10 minutes of each other, and would require a taxi ride. Some of the ships excursion will tender you directly yes. The time is normally ship time, which does not change. Hope the info helps, enjoy your cruise!

We were in Cozumel last week and there was a problem with tenders on the day we were there. There were 5 or more ships in port that day and there were just not enough tender boats to go around. They started tendering at 9am but we didn't get off the ship until 11am. It was very chaotic that day. I wouldn't bet on getting there at a certain time. You need to be very flexible.

Tenders were fine when we were there in December. Took a cab to Paradise Beach and loved it. If you go, try the chicken nachos, delicious. The beach waiters never pressure you to buy anything. Respect the Mexico sun; I got quite a sunburn on my left thigh. Excaret is a long way from Coz and when you get there you still have a bus ride to get you there. Do not do this unless it is thru the ship.

Do you mean Feb. 2nd on Explorer ? We are a family of 10 going. What other excursions are you doing? Any kids? We're taking our DD 7 out of school and are getting worried there won't be any other kids on board. Last year we we're on Navigator at spring break and she had a great time. We're treating my DH mom to this cruise for her 75 birthday. Can't wait.

Carnival is spending the money on the pier repair which means that Carnival ships will have first priority when the pier re-opens.

That should also mean that Tendering will speed up if your ship happens to not get pier space the day you are there. But DO NOT count on using the pier.

This information is from a local who lives in Cozumel, not from a web site or web board

I just got back from Radiance on the western carib. itinerary last week. The whole time we were on the "ships time" which if I remember correctly was the same time that my watch read (which I never changed from when we left port in Miami).

It was the same when were on the Voyager for an Eastern cruise last month. The ship's time never changed, so we never had to change our watches either. Even though in some ports it was an hour earlier, they announced to us to stay with ship's time to make it easier for everybody.

This apparently varies from ship to ship. When we were on the Enchantment in November, we changed from ship's time (FLL) to central (Mexico/Belize) time and changed back to eastern time on our sea day back to FLL. I've done Western Carib on a few (mostly Carnival) and we didn't change time, so this was a new thing to me.

While I can see that tendering probably goes smoothly during good sea conditions - that is not so while the seas are rough. Now in saying that, expectations need to be appropriate, we can not control or anticipate the weather - but it can definetly slow the process down.

Was on the Marnier for the 1/2 Sailing and seas were so rough that ALL water excursions were cancelled by RCCL - as far as we could tell. Tendering started late due to the conditions, but they did ok. It did take a significant amount of time to tender - but we survived.

It was our understanding that the pier will not be able to be completed for 2 yrs.

Good luck and happy sailing

I just wanted to add that we were in Cozumel less than two weeks ago with seven ships in port and tendering went extremely well. We may have lucked out, but we never had to wait for a tender and our ship was being serviced by two tenders. Thus, as one went to the ship the other headed towards shore. And this was with two Voyager class and one Grand class ship in port as well. The port itself was crowded, but not the tenders in our case.

When we were in Cozumel on the Splendour, we did change to local time. It all depends on what the captain wants to do. Our friends were on a Carnival ship and they stayed on ship's time.

There will be an announcement at the top of your daily paper, (I cannot remember its name!) and there will be a sign by the gangway telling you if you are on ship's time or local time. Also posted will be a reminder of time you need to be back on the ship. If you are unsure, ask some crew member that will be near where you get on the tender. They really don't want you to miss the ship.

Well, I guess one never knows. We were on the Radiance Western in December, and we did change time one day....can't remember though whether this was before Cozumel or Grand Cayman. Regardless, there is no way that anyone on the ship can NOT know when they change the time on the ship....everywhere you go/look there are reminders to change your watches.

I would imagine that RCI excursions would be on the ship's time, as that is how they have you set your watches. This is not something to worry about too much. There will be plenty of people on the ship to help you and answer any questions. The only way I can see a huge problem is trying to schedule your own excursion in advance on a really tight timeline....which I wouldn't do, personally...but I would imagine that the proprieters are accustomed to the inconsistencies of the ships' schedules.

Tracy

Archived