Any Good wine suggestions?

chorder

Lately I have started drinking wine I prefer red wine,have found I like shiraz the best so far .But I am a true rookie ,any suggestions for onboard purchases or just something good to try at home? Oh yeah not to pricey maybe in the 12 to 15 dollar range thanks.

Well, to start with, you are not going to find anything for under $20 on the ship. And that was for a white zin, not a good red wine. We tried, and really liked, the Coppola blue diamond merlot. It goes for about $15 shoreside, but it was around $40 on the ship. Might explain all the talk about "smuggling" now, huh? Anyway, that's my recommendation--and I like shiraz too, so we may have similar tastes.

Try a zinfandel (not a white zinfandel!!). Big and jammy, just like the shiraz's can be. The perfect winter wine. And the best "go with any food" red is pinot noir - will accomodate everyone at the table (well, not the delicately poached dover sole, but you don't get that on RCI anyway, ha ha). Happy wining and dining!

There was a Rioja on the middle-level package that I really enjoyed. I'd signed up for that package because of the Cline Zinfandel, but they were all out of it. The substitute was okay, but not the Cline.

Since I signed up for the wine and dine, I never saw the full wine list, but I can assure you that there won't be anything worth drinking for $12 a bottle (if anything at all). Your best bet might be to order by the glass and find what you like that way.

Tracy

Well you picked a good fun expensive hobby. I am spoiled cause I am in the restaurant business. I can drink a cheaper white but not much for cheaper reds. Since you are new to wine especially reds you will be okay. If you like shiraz you might want to go to a wine called "The Zin". About $18-$20. Red zins and merlots are a good next step. The best all around good red is Silver Oak Cabernet. You can get it for about $50-$55 on sale at a lot of liquor stores. You will love that stuff. For the special occasion I love the Chateau Lafite Rothschild(their off years are better than most domestic perfect years). I know it is expensive and sounds crazy, but you can get an off year that gets a 94-95 rating for $125 that you would pay $350-$450 in a restaurant. Okay back to the cheaper ones....

Red Zins

The Zin

seven deadly zins

rocking horse

Merlots

Robert Mondavi

Fetzer

Firestone(kinda dry)

Rutherford hill

Rosemount

These are some more in your price range.Some more ideas are on the way.

"The best all around good red is Silver Oak Cabernet. You can get it for about $50-$55 on sale at a lot of liquor stores. You will love that stuff."

Sheeeeeeesh! The way I drink wine, I would be in the bread line at the end of the first week! Maybe in my next life I'll be able to afford Silver Oak....meantime, back to my Yellow Tail........

(sobbing heard in the background)

I second the Silver Oak! We were in California in May and went to Silver Oak and I was hooked. Unfortunately, we can't get it in Canada so we pick up a bottle or 2 every time we're in the US. It's certainly not a "drink everyday" kind of wine though, not for that price!

Hi Chorder,

You have been getting some good suggestions here. As usual the Cruise Critic folks come through!

We live in the Napa Valley (premium wine growing region for Ca.). My husband owns a CPA firm and they do the accounting for about 50 wineries and vineyards here. We drink a lot of wine and especially enjoy all kinds of reds, expensive and inexpensive. I agree with the previous posters suggestions and will add these:

For low cost reds that you might like at around $10 a bottle...can be purchased at Costco or other discount store...

Ravenswood, shiraz and merlots

Rosemount Estate, shiraz

Francis Ford Coppola's "Rosso" label, classic (a cabernet) and shiraz

and his blue diamond label a previous poster mentioned.

There is a reason that Fancis Ford Coppola's wines are really good. His winery, Niebaum-Coppola, used to be Inglenook. Not the jug wine from the central valley but the Inglenook in Rutherford, Napa Valley that was one of the first important premium wineries in CA. His wines are made from grapes from some of the best vineyards in the entire state. So they are all good, the low end and especially the high end.

For lighter reds, try the Pinots from the Russian River area and some Zinfandels as mentioned before.

For more $$$ try Shafer reds, B.V., Grgich Hills, Caymus, Mondavi or Joseph Phelps...cabs and merlots....and there are many, many more. Why not plan a trip to the Napa Valley and try some!!!

KathiB:)

I forgot to add...for our Med.cruise this June we plan to smuggle on 2 or 3 bottles of good Ca. wine. One will be a gift for our tour guide in Villefranche. Then we plan to buy some good Rioja in Spain and some French wine to bring on the ship to get us through the first few days. Then if we need to we can but more throughout Italy. All great places for inexpensive red wine.

Kathi

I have tried the Yellowtail and the Rosemount,also tried a shiraz called Woop Woop that was very good also and in the same price range.I haven't got into the whites they seem to be a little sweet for me ,but, like I said I'm a real newbie to this. Oh yeah ,I have got to try the Silver Oak now, but we have to get our cruise paid off 1st (LOL)

There is no need to pay $55 for a bottle of wine in order to have a good wine UNLESS you are wanting to impress your friends that you know how to throw around $$. (But of course derekandkimberly have a $1000 bottle of wine, as posted a few days ago on another thread.)

My suggestion is to find a good wine guide. Andrea Immer writes an annual wine guide with wine ratings.

Will you like what Immer likes? Maybe, maybe not. But as you start to be able to detect the subtle characteristics of wine in taste, texture and scent, you will start to know what appeals to you.

Since you like shiraz/shirah, I would stay away from the heavier reds like cabernet.

A great resource is an area wine store...even Whole Foods and Sam's Wholesale Club often have an awesome wine selection. (although you aren't likely to run into a knowledgable salesperson at Sam's!)

Don't be shy if you don't know how to pronounce the names of the grapes...many people don't! It's not expected that you'd know tannin if it bit you on the proverbial butt right now either!

All of this comes with time...and you don't have to spend a fortune to learn. There are plenty of good wines under $15 per bottle.

:)

Yeah texas diver we love to throw the $$$ around for sure on vacation. We have some great wines that go for more than $1000 in restaurants and can't wait to open them on our anniversary. You definitly fine great wines for under $15 as I told her. That is the great thing about wine. When she gets up there in the awesome wines whe will love the other choices. Until then....See ya all on the Serenade next saturday!!! Come on by the table for some wine tasting!!!

KathiB: You've got some excellent suggestions in your post. My only quibble is that you should say "one of the premium wine growing regions in CA." (Not surprisingly, we live in one of the others. LOL.)

One thing I never agree with is when people are told that they must "graduate" to heavier reds. (This is not directed at you, KathiB; it's just a general observation.) I like many different varietals. What I want to drink today might be a light gamay; tomorrow I might want a big zin with my steak. Bottom line: drink what tastes good to you. One little inexpensive one we've had lately (merlot and cabernet) is The Little Penguin (I think that's right). It's less than $10 here and quite fine for an every day wine.

beachchick

Bottom line: drink what tastes good to you.

Beachchick,

You couldn't be more right!!! I don't know if people here remember the cajun chef, Justin Wilson. He would say in his heavy cajun accent "Everyone asks what kind of wine to drink....I say 'the kinds you like!'"

When I was collecting wines in the dot com boom, my hobby was buying yummy cheap wines by the case (under $15 per bottle). The majority of my collection were french wines, some australian, some from spain. (the best wine experience I ever had was a shockingly delicious '98 Abadia Retuerta Rivola from Spain...I think it was a $12 bottle)

Find a good wine shop, describe what you like, and they will hook you up every time. My favorite wine purchase ever (for you Californians, and wine afficionados) was a case of Pesenti Old Vine Zin for $18/bottle. A guy at "my" wine shop called me to tell me about it, and I was there the same day to pick up a case.

The vinyard had been purchased three years prior by the infamous Turleys, and it was the last year they would bottle under the old label (while they were perfecting it for themselves). The next year, this wine would sell for upwards of $100/bottle. It was yummy stuff, and I just drank the last bottle a week ago. :(

For my b-day cruise on the Freedom, I plan to tote along one of my '98 Chateauneuf du Pape's to celebrate. There is no such thing as a bad '98 CDP. :)

To those just starting out....taste taste taste, and when you find one you like, buy a case, because it is soooo disappointing when you can't find it again!

Tracy

I forgot to add...for our Med.cruise this June we plan to smuggle on 2 or 3 bottles of good Ca. wine. One will be a gift for our tour guide in Villefranche. Then we plan to buy some good Rioja in Spain and some French wine to bring on the ship to get us through the first few days. Then if we need to we can but more throughout Italy. All great places for inexpensive red wine.

Kathi

Kathi, we visited Napa a few years ago and visited many wineries. That is where I first tried Coppola's wines and really have enjoyed just about everything I've tried under his label. Are you familiar with V. Sattui? I love their wines and we mail order from their winery several times a year. I think they have excellent wines at a very reasonable price.

Enjoy your med cruise.

My wife and I aren't into dry wines at all, and would rather cruise than buy expensive wines anyway.

If you're don't have a high end budget, and you like semi-sweet white wines theres a very inexpensive one around now.

It's "Relax" Reisling, it's in a blue bottle, and they sell it in Costco for $6.00.

It's a very clean smooth wine, that has a hint of citrus taste to me.

Our previous favorite was a local Michigan wine "Fenn Valley Lakeshore Demi-sec", for $12-15 a bottle.

1/2 the price and not having to drive accross the state made it quite the deal to us.

Archived