have some"Century' questions...

chrismch

Just reading the Century daily patter on cruiseclues.com, it was from 2004 and I was wondering if something I read is still true. It stated that there was complimentary alcohol tasting in the shops on the first evening for an hour or 2. I've never heard of this on any ship before. Am I out of the loop or is this a Celebrity secret? Also do they have appetisers in the lounges before dinner? :p

They had free tasting on the last cruise I went on. It was on RCCL. It was in the shops and they were trying to get you to buy some. We tasted but didn't buy. We were going to buy some the last night but the line was too long.

Michelle in SoCal

Mercury 4/7/06

They had a free tasting on nearly all my Celebrity cruises including the Millie trans. They just give you a small taste - just a sip or two and very similar to the sample food tastings in food stores - to help promote sales. It is held by the shop that sells duty free liquor - either inside or just outside.

There really aren't what most people call appetizers in the lounges before dinner, just nuts, pretzel mixes, etc. like you would find at most bars to get you to drink more. There are breadsticks in the Martini bar.

I was just on the Century (came home today) and they have a Martini tasting for two hours before dinner in the Martini Bar on Deck 7. It looked like you got about six different martinis in a glass about half the size of a regular martini glass. It was priced at about $9.50 but you did get a quite a few varieties and nice size drinks. There were many people having it.

I've had a martinia tasting on the Summit a couple of years ago and it was $5.95 but the drinks were like a double shot. The drinks I saw on the Century were much bigger.

I, myself like martinis but I went for the biggies. I think Celebrity makes the best martinis. The peach one is wonderful and the creamy chocolate one is to die for.

They were letting people try the differnet rums in front of the liquor store.

Keep in mind they also have a nice choice of three special drinks for the day (not the ones in souvenir glasses). They are very good. I had a Barcardi Breeze and if was fabulous. Celebrity knows how to do drinks.

The Century is definately in need of a refurb and I will go back on her when she comes out of it. The ship is a nice size. It didn't feel too crowded.

I've had a martinia tasting on the Summit a couple of years ago and it was $5.95 but the drinks were like a double shot. The drinks I saw on the Century were much bigger.

On Summit in December 2005 the Martini tasting was six 3 inch diameter glasses filled from 1/3 to 2/3 full depending on day (we had two tastings) and person doing the mixing. The price is now $9.50 + gratuity of 15% of course.

They have the liquor tastings more than once sometimes. You can try several different, for instance, rum flavors, and get the equivalent of a drink, if that's what you are trying to accomplish. But mostly, it is for people who want to buy and therefore want to sample before they buy.

Don't forget the gourmet bites in the lounges at around 11:30. I don't think these are offered every night. I'm not usually up at that hour, but did sample a few during karaoke last weekend on Century. I'm waiting for the mini beef wellingtons. We had a breaded, fried ham and cheese stick, a chicken salad one, and other non-memorable ones.

Archived