Renting a car in Port Canaveral for the day

lizzy911

We will be docking at Port Canaveral on an Anthem of the Seas cruise out of New Jersey in March. We would rather spend the day at the beach / walking around Cocoa Beach than the other excursions. We have a 3 and a 6 year old. The 6 year old can ride in a backless booster but the 3 year old is in a 5 point. It looks like Uber would be out as we have the carseat for the 3 year old. What are our options for renting a car for the day? Ideally we would like to be able to walk to and from the port or a nearby free shuttle as we will have to bring the carseat along with us.

The Anthem docks at terminal 6 meaning you have no walking choices. There are no free shuttles.

For beach excursions (15 minutes) you can rent a car, rideshare, book a taxi or private car or use the cruise ship shared shuttle vans. 

If you just want to go to the beach then renting a car is perhaps not the best option.

Uber Car Seat is not yet available in Canaveral but who knows by March. You can bring your own. 

888-transportation taxi and private shuttles can include a carseat with prior notice.

You do not need a car seat for the cruise line shuttle as far as I know.

The car rental companies will send a shuttle van to meet you. Unfortunately they close early (4pm?) so after hours you have to make your way back to the ship via taxi/Uber. Best to drop the family first in that case. Budget does not allow after-hours returns so keep that mind! 

You can read this: Cocoa Beach Beaches for Cruisers.

9 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

Would you know where Grandeur docks and what might be walking distance from there? Once on Anthem we were docked at a pier from which we could walk to a beach ( I forget the name of the beach). Other times we did not dock walking distance.

Yes terminal 1 or terminal 10. Hard to say at this time.

You walked 1.5 miles to Jetty Park! 

Jetty-Park-Beach-3.jpg

On 11/19/2018 at 8:18 AM, SteerageJoe said:

Yes terminal 1 or terminal 10. Hard to say at this time.

You walked 1.5 miles to Jetty Park! 

Jetty-Park-Beach-3.jpg

We did walk there one time and yes it was Jetty Park. I do not know what dock it was but it was the one closest to Jetty. Only time I ever docked there. It was a walk but not 1 1/2 miles. Loved it there. Would take a taxi or Uber there but would be worried we could not get anything to go back to ship.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:24 PM, SteerageJoe said:

It you walked less than 1.5 miles you docked at Terminal 3 which is now under renovation for the big ships!  It is an easy stroll from there to Jetty Park! 

Darn, then I guess I will not be docking there anytime soon.It was great being able to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also looking to rent for a day later this month.  Can anyone suggest the best car rental place to use? 

By best I mean closest or easiest to get to and from the cruise port (Norwegian).  The ship is in from 1pm to 9pm, so I assume it will have to be an after hours return.  I plan to drive to Daytona Beach and back.  

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, CrGuy said:

I'm also looking to rent for a day later this month.  Can anyone suggest the best car rental place to use? 

By best I mean closest or easiest to get to and from the cruise port (Norwegian).  The ship is in from 1pm to 9pm, so I assume it will have to be an after hours return.  I plan to drive to Daytona Beach and back.  

Thanks.

Budget does not allow after-hours returns so they are out.

There is little to choose between the rest of the rental car companies near the Port. We have our favorites! Just pick one based on rates and perhaps your membership if you have one.

You will have to get on their shuttle from cruise terminal to the office. Furthest one is only 4 miles away but you will save a few minutes with Alamo-Enterprise-National.

Then Uber back in the evening after drop-off.

Rental-Car-Map-Web-1.jpg

Edited by SteerageJoe