Rhine River northbound

heavchev

Looking for recommendations for a reasonably-priced line for this river cruise.  We did an Avalon cruise from Paris to Normandy back in June of 2017, which cost my wife and I $5200 before airfare for the 7 day cruise.  The price for the same cruise for next spring is about $3000 more than we paid.  They're charging over $8000 for the same cruise now and about the same for the Rhine River northbound for 7 days.  Not sure why the price has escalated so much, as the dollar/euro was exactly the same value then as it is now.  We loved the Avalon cruise, but we're wondering if there's something comparable on another line that's more affordable.

Edited by heavchev

heachchev,

looking at your query from the European side I recommend that you include such lines. I cannot go into details and the sites for the American market are different. So just look out for CroisiEurope, Riviera Travel river cruises (a UK company), Arosa (German) and possibly Nicko cruises (German). They will offer different levels of luxury and amenities included in the price. I would suggest a good TA to advise you on air fare and insurance. I know Riviera includes air fare from the UK but you will need to check carefully what works best for you logistically and financially.

Basel to Amsterdam is a very popular itinerary and there are many options.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

On 11/23/2018 at 5:35 PM, heavchev said:

Looking for recommendations for a reasonably-priced line for this river cruise.  We did an Avalon cruise from Paris to Normandy back in June of 2017, which cost my wife and I $5200 before airfare for the 7 day cruise.  The price for the same cruise for next spring is about $3000 more than we paid.  They're charging over $8000 for the same cruise now and about the same for the Rhine River northbound for 7 days.  Not sure why the price has escalated so much, as the dollar/euro was exactly the same value then as it is now.  We loved the Avalon cruise, but we're wondering if there's something comparable on another line that's more affordable.

Were you on one of Avalon's older ships? We did the same cruise on the Luminary in September of 2016 for around $5000, due to a last-minute sale.  The Avalon fleet now has only the new Panorama ships with larger staterooms and fewer passengers, so the price per person has increased. Avalon does have occasional sales, usually  earlier in the year.  We have also been looking at 2019 cruises and have been dismayed to find that they are offering free air, which doesn't work for us, instead of price reductions.  You might want to look at Gate1.  I read somewhere that they purchased Avalon's Creativity and Luminary and had them refurbished.  Their prices are considerably cheaper and I've read good reviews.  Here's a link to their Rhine cruises:

https://www.gate1travel.com/river-cruises/europe-river-cruises/2019/rhine/rhine-river-cruise-9damsbsl19.aspx

• 1 month later...

Spring on the Rhine is Tulip Time so the prices go up considerably!  Same as the price hike for December for the Christmas Markets.  If you don't mind  possible heat and crowds you might consider  The Rhine in August! Prices really drop then.  Remember you get what you pay for so be careful of prices that are too low !