Chillean Fjords, Straits of Magellan

florisdekort

Dear All,

On March 5, we will be taking the 'Cape Horn' cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. Millennium is currently sailing the same cruise in opposite direction, and I have been following the bridge cam during the past couple of days to obtain more information on 2 sea days listed in the brochures as 'Chillean Fjords scenic cruising' and 'Straits of Magellan scenic cruising'.

Apart from one stunning glacier early morning on the 'Straits of Magellan' day, I only saw lots of ocean (big waves!) and some hilltops... I checked every single picture of the webcam archive.

Are then any cruisers around who made this journey last year and who can provide some information on what there is to see on these two days?

Also, when Millennium pulled up to the glacier, there were lots of people on the helicopter pad. Is that area open for viewing?

As always, many thanks for your input!

Floris

Hi Floris - Cabo here again.

We did this itinerary two years prior to the Machu Picchu/Valpo to FLL cruise. We went from Rio to Valpo around the Horn on Mercury (they stopped using Rio as the embarkation point after '02 because of the lack of acceptable coordination by the Cariocas, I believe).

We left Ushuaia at about 5 pm, so we saw the glaciers while preparing for dinner - we had a tough time living our starboard side cabin as the views were spectacular. The next day through the straits and fjords was excellent weather for viewing and photo opps.

You will love this cruise - look for my post on one of the upcoming roll calls for this itinerary for more details about which excursions we took.

Cabo

Archived