Summit to the Southern Caribbean, 11/17-11/24: A Probably Overlong Trip Recap

BeeMinor

On 12/7/2018 at 7:58 PM, zdad59 said:

We loved Hotel Casablanca.   Stayed there when we pre-gamed for a cruise a couple years ago.     Funky, not fancy, but great location in OSJ.    Did you use the rooftop concrete bathtubs ?

Ah, we did not, but a neat space up on the roof! I really liked the art around the hotel too. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 2:56 AM, swigso said:

Hi 

i really enjoyed your review and the comparison to Silversea. We have toyed with trying it 

my brother is a big fan.  You may want to look at Azamara, the ship food is fantastic and 

the breakfast served on the balcony in the morning was one of the highlights of our cruise. 

The staff are amazing and the opera singers brought on board in Portifino

were the highlight of our cruise. The downside is that we favour the bigger ships

and feel that they fit us better. Having said that we will probably sail Azamara if the 

itinary fits but not for more than a seven day port intensive trip.

Thank you! The smaller ships are really great for itinerary purposes, I think, because they can access so many ports that are off-limits to the bigger ships. We have looked at Azamara before but it just hasn't worked out--I'd be interested in trying them (especially if they have opera instead of weird chandelier-themed production shows) and Oceania, too, which I have heard has even better food than Silversea. When we sailed Equinox we felt like it might be too big for us, but the bigger ships definitely have the upper hand in variety and depth of activities. I am very curious to see if the ship-within-a-ship on Edge offers the best of both worlds but at the current prices I can't imagine booking another suite-class cruise on Edge.