lobster on the Grand

MsJ

Like beef could be chicken. Or for that matter, iguana.

Not interested in arguing semantics, but what I was served was cold-water lobster.

Here is some of the iguanas we were served by Princess..........:) ....and they were good.

Anyone expert enough to know what lobster species these little guys are. They look "Like" cold water maine lobsters. I had six of these puppies on one crusie...........:)

DSC00825small.jpg.ed1d63ded6e8427ad39c4b47e5275340.jpg

DSC08273small.jpg.bbde7ccd5ecdd91a32c80982f07ed5b7.jpg

The photo in zydecruiser's photo are Maine lobsters. The photos from JLC@SD are rock lobsters. The photo in the Princes brocure appears to be a cold water lobster, but not a Maine variety. The tail flippers are the wrong shape. This just reinforces my belief that Princess serves whatever is local and fresh. In any case, I'll stick with my contention that broiling lobster is a terrible thing to do to such a delicious meat.

I'll end this discussion with a funny story for you. A friend of mine is a fish monger here. As such, he packs and ships live lobster all over the world. He once received a huge order from a woman in Fla. who wanted the lobsters shipped to arrive on a Sunday for a big party she was giving. When he opened on Monday, he got a furious call from the woman, who said the lobsters had all arrived spoiled and she had had to throw them all out. He couldn't believe it. "Are you sure they were spoiled?' he asked her. "Of course I'm sure", she screamed. "They were all green!!" Ever since then, he has made a point to tell all out of state customers that live lobsters are, indeed, green. They don't turn red until they are cooked. The woman had thrown out hundreds of dollars worth of perfectly good lobster.

Shopping tip: When choosing a lobster from a tank in a restaurant, choose the one with the least red on it. The more red, the longer it has been swimming( and "cooking" )in that oxygenated tank.

The absolute best lobster I've ever tasted was in a small family-owned/operated restaurant in Ensenada, Mexico (Pacific coast). They deep fried them in a huge vat out back and served them piled high on a platter, family style, with beans, rice and tortillas. Once the shells were removed, the meat was wonderful with not a trace of oil or grease. Fantastic!

Archived