Miami Car Rental--port drop off?

ladybugmc

We are coming in late friday night for our cruise departing Sat. and are staying at a hotel west of the airport. I was thinking of renting a car so I wouldn't have to bother with taxi from airport to hotel and then again to port. I thought I have read that you can return your rental car at the port, is this correct? If it is, are there only certain companies with a return at the port? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I thought I have read that you can return your rental car at the port, is this correct? If it is, are there only certain companies with a return at the port? Any help is greatly appreciated.

No this is not correct. There is NO car rental drop off at the port. The closest rental agencies to the port are Avis and Hertz with offices in downtown Miami, 5-10 minutes from the port. All of the other agencies are at the airport.

We have rented, and are renting again next week, from Alamo. They also will take you to the port from their site by the airport. This worked well for us last year so we are hoping for a smooth transaction this time as well.

Happy Travels!

Shan

There are NO companies with a drop off at the port, However Avis has a downtown pick up and drop off point that is about 5 min from the port. We are renting there when we return from cruise, husband take taxi to location and come back for me at the port. you could certainly do it backwards, though it would cost you more than the taxi to the port from your hotel which should be about $25.

There are NO companies with a drop off at the port, However Avis has a downtown pick up and drop off point that is about 5 min from the port. We are renting there when we return from cruise, husband take taxi to location and come back for me at the port. you could certainly do it backwards, though it would cost you more than the taxi to the port from your hotel which should be about $25.

Ok, I have a dumb question and I'm only asking because we are thinking of renting a car for post cruise stay in Miami (1 night). Why wouldn't both of you just pack the luggage into the taxi and go to the rental car place? We've never stayed after a cruise so I'm just trying to learn everyone's tricks/tips. Is there a reason for not taking all the luggage to the rental car place, other than it's a little cumbersome?

Do the downtown Avis or Hertz locations offer shuttles to the port or do you have to take a taxi? The ride is shorter from these locations than the airport but the airport is offering a free shuttle (some companies anyway) so I'm curious if the closer locations will shuttle to the port for free. Thanks.

Ok, I have a dumb question and I'm only asking because we are thinking of renting a car for post cruise stay in Miami (1 night). Why wouldn't both of you just pack the luggage into the taxi and go to the rental car place? We've never stayed after a cruise so I'm just trying to learn everyone's tricks/tips. Is there a reason for not taking all the luggage to the rental car place, other than it's a little cumbersome?

reasonable question, the answer is there will be Me my Daughter and her husband, six large suitcases and a few carry ons, a wheelchair with me in it, and an electric mobility scooter.

and they do not run a shuttle from the port to or from the downtown location only get to it by cab. The shuttles that leave from the port only go to the Airport location.

Archived