***** Qm2 July 3/2006

GRIFFITH1

Sounds To Me Like We Are All Going To Have To Be Surprised When We Get On Board . Better Be Prepared For Formal And Informal Nights.

One Thing I Do Believe Is That We Will Have A Red, White And Blue Ball Since That Is What Has Been The History On The Queen Mary2 In The Past 4th Of July Sailing . We Could Have One Or Two Formal Nights . We Only Have 5 Nights So I Guess It Won't Be Too Hard To Bring Clothes For Those Few Nights.

It Will Be Our First Time On A Ship For The 4th . We Are Excited About The Fireworks Display That We Are Thinking We Will Be Entertained By . We Should Have A Great View .

I'm Ready To See The Documents So We Will Be Able To See What Is Going To Be Available For Us To Go See While We Are In The Ports .

If Anyone Could Tell Me That Has Been On The Queen Mary2 For The Red,white , And Blue Ball , Just How Informal Was The Dress . I'm Thinking The Day Time Is Just Very Casual For The 4th Of July But I Figure It Might Be Dresses And Jackets For Dinner. We Are Trying To Decide About Our Packing And Are Really Wondering About The 4th.

Linda,

The evening of the July 4 is essentially a semi-formal dress code with a red, white and blue theme. On the maiden voyage most passengers were fairly spiffed up for this occasion.

According to my chat with Cunard last week it appears as if we will have two additional formal evenings, one of which is the Captain's Cocktail Party and the other I'm betting will be a special tribute ball for Commodore Wawrick.

Jonathan

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION ON THE FORMAL NIGHTS. I AM SO READY FOR THIS CRUISE . WE ARE WANTING TO START OUR PACKING LIST . WE WILL HAVE TO MAKE OUR CHOICES ON WHAT TO PACK AND THEN HOPE WE HAVE THE RIGHT AMOUNT WHEN WE GET THERE . IT'S EASIER TO PACK CORRECTLY IF YOU ARE AWARE OF THE AMOUNT OF FORMAL/SEMI-FORMAL NIGHT THERE WILL BE .

WE ARE NOW GETTING ANXIOUS FOR OUR DOCUMENTS TO ARRIVE . CUNARD TOLD ME WE SHOULD GET THEM THE LAST OF MARCH . HOPE THAT'S RIGHT . IT'S OUR FIRST TIME ON CUNARD SO WE WONDERING HOW DIFFERENT THE SHIP WILL BE RUN FROM THE ROYAL CARIBBEAN LINE .

WE WENT AHEAD AND BOOKED OUR TRANSFERS WITH CUNARD . IT WAS TOO MUCH HASSLE ANY OTHER WAY WITH ALL THAT LUGGAGE AND MY PARENTS AGES . THE PRICE IS REALLY NOT THAT BAD . I COMPARED THE PRICE OF A TAXIS FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE SHIP TERMINAL . WE BOOKED TO FLY INTO NEWARK . AT THE TIME WE BOOKED OUR FLIGHT , THE TRAVEL AGENT DID NOT KNOW OF THE CHANGE OVER TO RED HOOK . WE HAVE DONE OUR TRANSFERS WITH ROYAL CARIBBEAN IN THE PAST AND IT WAS SO EASY . HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE THE SAME WITH CUNARD . WE ARE FLYING IN THE SAME DAY WE SAIL . IT'S A SUMMER CRUISE , SO THERE SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM WITH THE WEATHER .

I'M SURPRISED WE HAVEN'T HAD MORE POSTS FOR THIS CRUISE . THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE ALREADY BOOKED . I THINK THE SHIP WILL BE SOLD OUT SINCE IT IS ONLY 5 NIGHTS AND 4TH OF JULY . PERFECT !

LINDA

We Got A Note From Our Ta About The Departure Time Changes . Just That Our Departure Will Be 30 Minutes Early And We Leave The Ports A Little Earlier . Not A Bad Change . At Least There Are No Missed Ports .

Less than 3 months till our QM2 Independence Weekend Cruise Adventure from Brooklyn. 3 months today we'll be in Boston awaiting an evening of champagne and fireworks over the harbor. Just 2160 hours till that magic embarkation day!

Jonathan

Had word from a friend in Boston, that the fireworks are not over the bay, but on the other side of the city. He's not even sure we'll be able to see them from the ship.

That being said, perhaps Boston will do something special for the Queen and have fireworks were we can see them. Also, I hear we're now leaving port by 10PM so they better have the fireworks early enough for us to see from the ship.

Had word from a friend in Boston, that the fireworks are not over the bay, but on the other side of the city. He's not even sure we'll be able to see them from the ship.

That being said, perhaps Boston will do something special for the Queen and have fireworks were we can see them. Also, I hear we're now leaving port by 10PM so they better have the fireworks early enough for us to see from the ship.

:confused: Hi All,

I am also concerned about the viewing of the fireworks from the ship.

Quite sometime ago my wife and I took the QE2 on a New England/Canada cruise. This was the very first time the QE2 was docking in Boston on July 4th for touring and also to view the fireworks. It was one of the key features for landing in Boston. We had a great day touring Boston and it's sites. The ship to accomandate the fireworks viewing even changed the dining times so we would be finished and able to gather on the decks for good viewing.

We had a portable radio to monitor the activity more up close. Well, it got dark and the time came close. All of a sudden we heard the fireworks and could not see them at all. The ship even got permission to leave the dock and backdown the harbor toward the Charles River Bridge as close as we dared. It did stop halfway down. But the viewing of the fireworks were thru the skyscrapers and mostly saw very little and alot of flashing off the buildings. After positioning the ship finished we only saw the last 10 minutes.

We had to start on our way rapidly since all the yachts and pleasure boats were exiting the Charles River from their all day berths.

I am concerned that this will not happen again as it was very disappointing it was not planned out. Yes, it was the first time they ever tried it. Don't know if it was attempted since then.

Wouldn't want to disappoint the other passengers no less my parents. It is suppose to be part of the cruise experience in Boston.

:confused: Regards,

ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

All we can do is hope that Boston has plans for fireworks for us, but I suspect we are SOL on this one. I guess we can always watch them on tv from our cabins like we would if were sitting home!!!! Seems a pity. I pictured it to be a perfect 4th July in a historic place, fireworks overhead, dressed in my Red/White/Blue with champagne in hand.

I spent a July 4th on a friends boat in Winthrop Harbor which is on the other side of Logan Airport which is in Boston Harbor. The fireworks that Boston put on could be seen over the sky line, but the Winthrop fireworks would be unobstructed, in my opinion, from out by Fort Warren.

It may be that QM2 cannot get too far into Boston Harbor and will have to moor further out towards the inlet.

Winthrop fireworks were spectacular. I hope it works out for all of you going.

I'm booked on an August WB transatlantic. There have been a few things I've read that have disappointed me too. Such is life! Have another champagne and all will be well.

Sue

It seems likely that the fireworks we will witness on July 4 will indeed be the Winthrop display. According to the internet the Winthrop fireworks begin at dusk, somewhere in the vicinity of 9 pm, which would work out fine.

According to this link:

http://www.bostonusa.com/visitor/resdet.php?seqnum=9562&type=event

the Boston Charles River fireworks don't actually begin till 10:30 pm which is a half hour after we are due to depart.

Then again I wouldn't put it past Cunard to make a last minute itinerary change to Newport, Rhode Island, it wouldn't be the first time.

Cruiserking

It would be great if we could plan a Cruise Critic get together aboard the QM2. In the past we've had successful meetings during the first day, although this might be difficult with our port stop in Boston and folks scurrying around on excursions.

It seems a shame to put the meeting off till later in the journey as we're only aboard for five days. I propose we try and have drinks in the Commodore Club on deck 9 on the first evening at 10 pm. This will give CC members dining late plenty of time to finish supper and attend the get together. Yes, the first day aboard is tiring, but, it would be a great capper to meet everyone the first evening after conversing on these boards for some five months.

I suppose we might also try a late day meeting in addition on July 4, say around 3 pm in the Chart Room Lounge, how does that sound?

I look forward to meeting all of you and putting Cruise Critic handles to faces once we're all finally aboard the Queen Mary 2.

Jonathan

Queen Mary 2 - July 3, 2006 -

Independence Weekend Traveling Cruise Critics

Griffith1- Linda

Betsy's Mom

Cleacat - Sue & Katie

Travelgals - Carol

Cruiserking/Cq6 - Jonathan & Elene plus Stu, Linda & Joe

Atticus - Revell & Chris

Eslo - Bev & Ed- Lottie & Stanley

sdb1s - Sam & Ivy

Bill and Ray - Ray and Bill

ljs0928 - Linda & Friend

Malinda1229 - Malinda & Mia

jyoung - Lee & Rindy - John & Julie

CruiseShelly - Shelly

CRUISERKING:

SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PLAN . COUNT US "IN "" ALSO .

THAT SEEMS LIKE A REALLY GOOD TIME TO MEET . WE SHOULD ALL BE BACK FROM OUR ADVENTURES AND IT'S WELL AFTER DINNER TIME .

I REALLY CAN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE MEETING PLACE AS WE HAVE NEVER SAILED ON THE QUEEN . IN JUST 84 DAYS WE WON'T HAVE TO SAY THAT AGAIN . :D

LINDA

Excellent, thanks for responding Atticus, CruiseShelly and Griffith1. I look forward to meeting you and the the rest of our contingent of July 3, 2006 QM2 Cruise Critics - 10 pm on July 3 at the Commodore Club on Deck 9.

If some folks can't make the initial meeting we will have a second meeting at the Chart Room Lounge, deck 3, at 3 pm on July 4. Below is a picture of the Commodore Club we're we'll be clinking glasses in just 84 days!

Jonathan

v4cx8y.jpg

Betsy's Mom will be there if Betsy's Dad (John) can remain awake! Otherewise will be at the Chart Room on the 4th. Trying to put a packing list together as this sailing will be sandwiched between NYC and Easthampton trips to see the Grandchildren. Does anyone else go see the Grandchildren rather than saying seeing the Children? Oh, my!:)

B.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME , HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO TRAVEL FROM THE AIRPORT IN NEWARK TO THE CRUISE TERMINAL IN RED HOOK ? WE ARE FLYING INTO NEWARK AND TAKING THE CUNARD TRANSFER . WE WERE JUST WONDERING WHAT THE DRIVE TIME WOULD BE TO THE SHIP . OUR FLIGHT IS SCHEDULED TO LAND AT 12:30 PM SAME DAY .

THANKS FOR ANY INFO .

LINDA

Hi All & CRUISERKING:

Yes, Father Time is ticking faster each day and time has no control or pause button. 80+ days to go and we (our family) will be visiting the New England/Canadian run for the 5th time. Once (1) on the Cunard Caronia and Triple (3) Times on Cunard QE2 - Now the QM2.

I am very happy to see plans are in progress for a Meet & Greet for this voyage.

We the ESLO's, the four of us, must see what our plans will be on each day of the planned M&G's. Being the first time on this brand new massive marvel, we must see how we will plan our time to try to cover this vessel in the number of days we have to see it all. If we all can't make it together, we will see who can attend which one's, but we will try.

It would be a pleasure to meet & greet those of us that have registered CC names on this forum. I have heard about different gatherings and how helpful each of us can be with valuable information gathered.

Yes, we will communicate the closer we get to the date..... and especially when the Document Dance will commence.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Just received trip brochure with description of formal nights, shore excursions, spa treatments and other on-board information. I did not see any way to pre-book any of the shore excursions just a reference that if there were any excursions available for pre-booking that it would be "listed in the excursion registration at the end of this brochure". No form followed the brochure. So do I assume that there are no excursions for pre-booking? Anyone know if you can pre-book shore excursions and, if so, how?

Linda

BTW - my friend is Nancy.

Linda,

As per my experience on the QM2 you are not able to pre-book excursions. Grill passengers are able to pre-book the Canyon Ranch Spa, however. Best bet is too choose your excursions and purchase them the day we embark. I'm quite sure the tour office will be open on July 3 as we have a port stop in Boston less than 24 hours after we board the QM2.

Since you have received the pre-cruise docs that contains such sought after information, what then is the story with formal nights on this journey? Is it two formals, two casuals and one semi-formal? Is there any mention of a special ball to celebrate Commodore Wawrick's Career?

Thanks.

Jonathan

Ljs0928 ,

Did You Receive A Brochure On The Cruise Or Did You Receive The Actual Cruise Documents ? Can't Wait To Get Mine !

We Are All Still Wondering About How Many Formal And Semi-formal Nights There Will Be .

THANKS,

Linda G.

Yes, I got the pre-cruise brochure with mailing saying that I would get actual cruise documents shortly. There will be the following Royal nights: "the fantastically English Ascot Ball, an informal and swashbuckling Pirate Ball, a Captain's Gala Ball (Formal, Black & White attire) and an Independence Ball (Red, White & Blue attire) with a hint of "surprises"...

For those interested in the spa menu for pre-booking 21 days or more in advance: http://www.canyonranch.com/spaclubs/queenmary2/index.asp

Archived