CruiseShelly - Shelly

Global G - Deb & Adam

Sab490 - Steve & Norma

2Cruisers in Georgia - Ed & Wanda

Bexxma

Andiamo - Jeanne & Michael

Cml3 - Carol & Albert

Carol:

I have a small group (12) leaving from the Bonanza bus station in Providence July 3rd that will bring us directy to Red Hook and back to Providence. For a whopping fee of $60 round trip door to door!! The train is about $115 round trip plus the cab ride and tips. Bottom line this is less expensive and its direct.

Please contact me directly for more info. Malinda1229@cox.net

Malinda

Hello again to all of you. I have a few questions. I've been on three other cruises and on those there is a stage show immediately before or after your dinner seating. Is this the same on the QM2? If so then the balls would be after the second seating, I guess. Cunard told me there is only one formal ball. Does this mean that theoretically you could dress semi-formal for dinner and then change into formal for the ball? I am soooo confused.

And are teenagers allowed at the balls?

Also, does anyone know about taxis from Manhattan to Red Hook? A hotel employee told me a taxi would be cheaper for four of us than the transfer offered by the ship. (We're spending 3 days prior to cruise in NYC).

Thanks for any guidance you all can give concerning dress code on this Grand Lady.

Bexxma,

On our recent QM2 cruise this past January 3 the shows were held at 8:45 and 10:45 pm. So there is plenty of time to get to the Royal Court Theater if you are in the late seating.

The Formal Balls run from 10pm to 12:15 am. As far as dress is concerned on these evenings, you would dress in your formal wear for dinner and remain in that outfit for the duration of the evening. The whole appeal of these nights is strolling around in your finery and admiring your fellow cruise mates decked out to the nines. Everyone is welcome at the balls.

I would agree a taxi on your own from NYC to Red Hook would be cheaper as Cunard will be tacking on an extra fee so they turn a profit on each transfter.

See you on July 3 at the Commodore Club.

Jonathan

How many times have we been over this? I just got off the phone with Cunard and I was told that it would be

casual

casual

semiformal

semiformal

casual

What, what, what?!?! No formal!!

I guess I'll pack my formal clothes and hope for the best. You may just see me out by the pool one afternoon dressed in a silk gown!

Bexxma & Atticus,

I sometimes wonder if Moe, Larry and Curly have taken over the operations dept. at Cunard. We'll never really get a straight answer until we cast our lines and we're sailing off upon the high seas.

Jonathan

QUOTE:

Andiamo- I found a 3/4 length red halter style dress for July fourth. It is fun and flirty and I feel patriotic in it. Best of all my husband Adam said WOW when I came out of the dressing room :)

Deb,

You are a lucky woman. Kudos to Adam! I hope I get the same from Michael when I put mine on the night of the Fourth. Decided to have fun and hold out on him. He won't see it until then. (I went out of character a bit.) It seems the older I get the more fun I get out of doing the silliest things.

Anyway, wishing you and Adam and the rest of our shipmates a lovely Memorial Day Weekend, with special thanks to the Vets on Board.

Jeanne

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be easier to drive directly to the port--or we should take the train to Penn Station and then a taxi to the port. (coming from RI)

Thank You,

Carol

Seems real now! Can't wait. :) I was a bit surprised that there was no real info specific to this cruise. Our TA always sends us profiles of each port so that should help. I also see where they have staggered checking according to deck. This seems like a good idea, but it does not seem applicable except for people (like us) arriving by car or taxi. Does this really work? We are on deck six - 1:30 or later - which is a little late for the buffet lunch which is always our first priority upon boarding. :( But if it means a more efficient check- in I am all for it! :)

Seems real now! Can't wait. :) I was a bit surprised that there was no real info specific to this cruise. Our TA always sends us profiles of each port so that should help. I also see where they have staggered checking according to deck. This seems like a good idea, but it does not seem applicable except for people (like us) arriving by car or taxi. Does this really work? We are on deck six - 1:30 or later - which is a little late for the buffet lunch which is always our first priority upon boarding. :( But if it means a more efficient check- in I am all for it! :)

Hi All & sab490,

We too were surprised with the little information supplied with the folder this time. Skinny folders seem lacking, fat folders add interest and excitement! We cruised the QE2 in the past and found all the information to be fulfilling and very informative and complete. Must be the way they issue documents now a days.

We are lucky to be boarding at 1230 being on 11 deck. We too also head for the food then unpack and see the ship. We have been monitoring the advise of past passengers on the Mary and how to handle the food situation in the Kings Court which has mixed opinions of how to search out all the food and also how to handle the crowds.

We also hope the checkin works out for everyone.

Till the 3rd.........

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

We will be joining you on Deck 11, actually the same stateroom we had two years ago! The King's Court is fine, just take your time and enjoy! My daughter said the Roast Beef from the Carvery was the very best! See eveyone very soon.:)

B.

Hi All,

Just posted a kind Memorial Day Wish message on below thread to all and surprised with the returns. Meant well.

Have to becareful to whom you converse with and what (subject) to converse about on a international cruising ship? We are all going on a Cunard Ship soon. Much different responses came from those on the Holland America Site.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=6749401&posted=1#post6749401

Oh Well.....

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Today we received our "Voyage Information" booklet. For our cruise it lists:

Captain's Gala Ball (Formal, Black & White Attire)

Independence Ball (Red, White, Blue Attire)

I would assume the other three nights are casual.

It doesn't say which nights are which, but at least we know what to pack!

So now I am doing frantic searching and shopping for clothes for our informal/formal/who knows evenings.

Are any of the men who are going planning on bringing their tuxedos in the event that we do have a true formal night?

Of course, I'll be resplendent in my tuxedo for the traditional captain's cocktail party, the Black and White Ball. The pre-cruise docs state that we'll have at least one formal evening. Just running off to the cleaners with my tux in tow now.

Maybe, we can plan for our second Cruise Critics affair to be a formal occasion and get some extra use out of our spiffy duds.

Jonathan :rolleyes:

So now I am doing frantic searching and shopping for clothes for our informal/formal/who knows evenings.

Are any of the men who are going planning on bringing their tuxedos in the event that we do have a true formal night?

Hi All,

Without a doubt, the tuxedo will be coming along as well as the white cocktail jacket for the Red, White & Blue evening.

No matter what, a tux should always be brought aboard the QM2.

As for a second meeting, let's see what time is available with all we have to see being on the Mary for the first time. Alot of area to cover.

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

WOW , WE ARE REALLY GETTING CLOSE TO OUR SAIL DATE NOW !

I JUST LOOKED BACK AT THE POSTS I MISSED WHILE BUSY DOING OUR MOVING . WE ARE ALL SETTLED INTO OUR WEEKEND HOUSE SO WE CAN NOW CONCENTRATE ON THE FUN THINGS LIKE THE CRUISE ON THE BIGGEST AND BEST SHIP I'VE EVER HEARD OF . I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO LAY MY EYES ON HER . IT'S SO EXCITING TO JUST THINK ABOUT ALL THE FUN WE WILL HAVE .

STILL MAKING PLANS ON THE PORTS . I GUESS WE WILL DECIDE ON ALL TO DO AFTER WE GET ON BOARD . I KNOW WE INTEND ON EATING LOTS OF LOBSTER IN MAINE .

WE WILL BE BUSY PACKING SOON . I LIKE TO START PACKING ABOUT TWO WEEKS IN ADVANCE OF THE TRIP . GETS US EXCITED TO SEE THOSE BAGS SPREAD OUT READY TO GO ON THE NEXT ADVENTURE . GIVES US TIME TO THINK ABOUT WHAT WE NEED TO BRING AND WHAT NOT TO BRING AS TO NOT OVER PACK . I HATE TO DRAG ANYTHING ALONG THAT IS NOT NECESSARY . I GUESS WE ARE ONLY PACKING FOR TWO BALLS SO NOT MUCH TO DECIDE ON THE FORMALS . THE FIRST AND LAST NIGHTS ARE USUALLY CASUAL SO I'M NOT SURPRISED TOO MUCH .

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW EASY THE AIRPORT IS IN NEWARK ? I FLEW INTO NEWARK MANY YEARS AGO (LATE 70'S) AND I AM SURE IT HAS CHANGED . JUST FLEW LAST WEEK INTO LAS VEGAS AND IT WAS SO EASY . THEY REALLY ARE SET UP TO HANDLE THE BIGGEST CROWDS WITH NOT MUCH TROUBLE . SEEMED EASY EVEN WITH MY PARENTS ALONG . WE FLEW BACK INTO HOUSTON (IAH) AND IT WASN'T BAD EITHER . HOW DOES NEWARK COMPARE ?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO ON THE AIRPORT,

LINDA G.

WOW , WE ARE REALLY GETTING CLOSE TO OUR SAIL DATE NOW !

THE CRUISE ON THE BIGGEST AND BEST SHIP I'VE EVER HEARD OF. I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO LAY MY EYES ON HER. IT'S SO EXCITING TO JUST THINK ABOUT ALL THE FUN WE WILL HAVE.

STILL MAKING PLANS ON THE PORTS. I GUESS WE WILL DECIDE ON ALL TO DO AFTER WE GET ON BOARD. I KNOW WE INTEND ON EATING LOTS OF LOBSTER IN MAINE .

WE WILL BE BUSY PACKING SOON . I LIKE TO START PACKING ABOUT TWO WEEKS IN ADVANCE OF THE TRIP . GETS US EXCITED TO SEE THOSE BAGS SPREAD OUT READY TO GO ON THE NEXT ADVENTURE . GIVES US TIME TO THINK ABOUT WHAT WE NEED TO BRING AND WHAT NOT TO BRING AS TO NOT OVER PACK . I HATE TO DRAG ANYTHING ALONG THAT IS NOT NECESSARY . I GUESS WE ARE ONLY PACKING FOR TWO BALLS SO NOT MUCH TO DECIDE ON THE FORMALS . THE FIRST AND LAST NIGHTS ARE USUALLY CASUAL SO I'M NOT SURPRISED TOO MUCH .

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW EASY THE AIRPORT IS IN NEWARK ? I FLEW INTO NEWARK MANY YEARS AGO (LATE 70'S) AND I AM SURE IT HAS CHANGED . JUST FLEW LAST WEEK INTO LAS VEGAS AND IT WAS SO EASY . THEY REALLY ARE SET UP TO HANDLE THE BIGGEST CROWDS WITH NOT MUCH TROUBLE . SEEMED EASY EVEN WITH MY PARENTS ALONG . WE FLEW BACK INTO HOUSTON (IAH) AND IT WASN'T BAD EITHER . HOW DOES NEWARK COMPARE ?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO ON THE AIRPORT,

LINDA G.

Hi Griffith1 and (All),

Yes, it is getting very close. Less that 26 days to go.

We have seen her several times from a distance going under the Verrazano and even leaving up to two days ago. Also once at the Redhook terminal on a by chance ride by. YOU HAVE A REAL TREAT WHEN YOU SEE HER!

Looks like we will maybe doing alot of walking around in Boston and Bar Harbor. And one of the Titanic tours in Halifax looks interesting. We too will make a choice by the time we walk onboard. Have to see if they add anything extra to the order sheet.

We are also thinking of what to take since it is only 4-5 days. Also not to haul unnecessary items not to be used. I know I have my tux and also white jacket for the two balls. Bev has gotten 2 new dresses for the balls

one being a white lace one for the Red White and Blue.

Sorry can't tell you anything about Newark. I know you will do your research before hand. I know we are only 20 minutes away and have a 12:30PM arrival time assigned in the tickets.

Till next time.......

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Good evening all July 3 cruisers. Just checking in.

Our conversations have been quiet lately, so I'm just doing my part to keep them alive.

Still not sure if we will drive to Red Hook or hire a service. We have always driven to the NYC and Bayone ports, but this terminal seems a bit of a pain to get to from Westchester County. Running out of time though (a lovely thought), and dislike depending on family, so will have to decide real soon.

Again, looking forward to meeting you all soon and enjoying, hopefully, a unique cruising experience.

Jeanne

Hi all,

Had to stop myself from packing already... and have been daydreaming about the ship far too much :)

I know with the transatlantic cruises there are lecture series and classes, do you think they will have things like this on our cruise?

Deb

Greetings July 3 QM2 Cruisers,

The next time QM2 arrives in Brooklyn will be July 3, 2006 when our Independence Weekend Adventure begins. I can practically taste that welcome aboard champagne now. Suitcase dusting begins shortly:D .

125i4p3.jpg

Jonathan

Greetings July 3 QM2 Cruisers,

The next time QM2 arrives in Brooklyn will be July 3, 2006 when our Independence Weekend Adventure begins. I can practically taste that welcome aboard champagne now. Suitcase dusting begins shortly:D .

Jonathan

Hi cruiserking and all,

Yes, we saw her from a distance from the Belt Parkway going up to Park Slope to do some shopping on 7th Avenue. She still stops traffic going towards the Battery Tunnel on the Gowanus Expressway along 3rd Avenue. She certainly towers high above the buildings along the waterfront.

We also have a surprise in the harbor today down the street from us just outside the VZ Bridge, the Princess Crown who will go on her maiden voyage from Redhook on Wed, June 14th. She is also attracting attention along the Shore-Belt Parkway. She came in yesterday and is doing her PR in and out of NYC till the 14th. She was docked in Redhook yesterday and had to come out here since the Mary was coming into port. I expect she (Crown Princess) will go into Redhook after the Mary leaves later.

My wife and I are expecting to see the QM2 leave by the VZ Bridge in about a half hour. Should be a great site with the Crown Princess nearby.

Will try to Photo it if possible.

Till next time.......

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Hi cruiserking and all,

Yes, we saw her from a distance from the Belt Parkway going up to Park Slope to do some shopping on 7th Avenue. She still stops traffic going towards the Battery Tunnel on the Gowanus Expressway along 3rd Avenue. She certainly towers high above the buildings along the waterfront.

We also have a surprise in the harbor today down the street from us just outside the VZ Bridge, the Princess Crown who will go on her maiden voyage from Redhook on Wed, June 14th. She is also attracting attention along the Shore-Belt Parkway. She came in yesterday and is doing her PR in and out of NYC till the 14th. She was docked in Redhook yesterday and had to come out here since the Mary was coming into port. I expect she (Crown Princess) will go into Redhook after the Mary leaves later.

My wife and I are expecting to see the QM2 leave by the VZ Bridge in about a half hour. Should be a great site with the Crown Princess nearby.

Will try to Photo it if possible.

Till next time.......

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Ah! This explains it!

Maria called me tonight. She lives near enough to see the ships through the trees in winter, but with all the vegetation on them now, You really can't clearly see from her place who is in the harbor.

However, when they left tonight, she said she could see the funnel (Which sticks up,) but not the other ship. But she said it sounded like a symphony of toots back and forth to each other as they repositioned themselves for the QM2 to leave! And, of course, the Queen Mary has a distinctive horn~

Karie,

who thinks it mus be grand to live near enough to see them majestically and gracefully sailing up harbor and turning around!

Archived