Buying cigarettes on the Elation

Bubba

[quote name='kujobie']THere is no fine if you declare your items to customs and pay the duty willfully. The allowance is not the maximum allowed, just the amount that is duty free. For example, if you go to the west carib, your allowance for liquor is one bottle. You can bring back 10 bottles but will have to pay tax on 9 of them. Still not a bad deal since the tax is only about $2 per liter. Same goes with smokes. If you do exceed your allowance, you have to see customs before you leave the ship to pay your duty. Bring your checkbook or cash. This can be a long line, too. Before the other long line to get off the ship. The only thing to consider is that if you try to bring back 40 cases of liquor and a few hundred cartons of cigs, the customs officials might deduce that you are participating in some sort of enterprise. Then you might have some problems.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that since this post was active, Texas has exacted a new law that in fact limits Texas residents to 1 liter of alcohol, period, and non-residents 4 bottles (I think). There's no paying duty on extras, they take them from you. I'd look into seeing if they enacted the same ridiculous restriction on cigarettes, also, if you're sailing from Texas.

but be careful of those cigarettes in Mexico, and make sure they are not made in Mexico.

I was just on a land vacation there, and when I bought Marlboro, they were made in Mexico, and they are NOT the same. Smoking them just about killed me, in more than the normal way.

Bought some at the Puerto Vallarta airport, and those were NOT the same either.

Ones on the ship are good old made in USA.

Archived