To rent a car or not to rent a car? In FLL

emilyrose

So, I've been reading these boards for days and am super grateful for all the wonderful information that's been posted. I have a question though. My hubby and I will be cruising May 7 and got a FABULOUS airfare deal to come in the evening before. So we'll be there around 6. We are looking to get a hotel on SE 17th per TrentS's recomendation. However, we can't decide on the car rental issue. Seems we can rent a car for about $30 a day. Should we

a: Rent a car, galavant around Ft. Lauderdale and drive to Port of Miami?

b: Rent a car, galavant, return it in FLL and shuttle to Miami?

c: no car, shuttle to hotel, galavant on foot, shuttle to Miami?

Also, we are both young and not too concerned with a luxury stay. We are more concerned with budget and convenience. I'd rather spend extra money on the cruise.

Any advice from previous travelors or residents would be greatly appreciated.

My choice would be "a". Keep the car overnight and drive the next day to Miami.

As you may realize there is no rental car drop-off at the Miami port. The closest drop-offs near the port are Hertz and Avis. The cab ride would be under 10 minutes and the cab fare under $10. The other rentals have locations off site by the Miami airport. If the rental agency doesn't offer a free shuttle to the port a cab rides going to set you back $24. ;)

Thanks so much. That sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the info on the drop off points. It's difficult to figure that stuff out if you aren't familiar with the area. Our airfare was only 48.00 pp (YAY!) so we can justify the rental car expense and still come out ahead of a normal airfare.

Thanks again!

The port drop off is probably the MIA airport. I would just drop it off at the MIA airport anyway-then grab a free shuttle. I just did it and used Dollar. No problem. I also know that Alamo has a shuttle. I think Hertz does too but I would confirm that.

Harry

Definitely rent. There have been posts on this board that the shuttles from the Miami airport only run on weekends, so be sure to call the rental company's location at MIA to get your information straight from the horses mouth.

Archived