Kilts...formal???

scots

By all means, wear the kilt. As an American of Scottish descent, and one who participates in numerous Highland Games and dresses in traditional garb, including the arisaid, I say that it is a wonderful thing. I have seen men in their kilts on formal nights on several cruises. Just don't be surprised if the curious ask if you are " regimental"!!!

Does anyone know if kilts are acceptable attire for formal evenings on Princess?

DH does, has for a couple of years now, and contrary to prior comment, wears his sgian dubh, too. Okay as long as you pack in the checked luggage. There's usually at least one other guy in a kilt, but he has been the only one, and it does attract attention! ;)

When DH and I travelled to Scotland, I had so wanted him to purchase full Scottish regalia in honor of my dad. DH isn't Scottish, but my Canadian-born dad was of Scottish descent. Alas! The "Wilson" tartan is bu** ugly, and the only pieces that we brought home were a necktie and muffler. To this day, I don't believe that DH has donned either.

Chris

DH does, has for a couple of years now, and contrary to prior comment, wears his sgian dubh, too. Okay as long as you pack in the checked luggage. There's usually at least one other guy in a kilt, but he has been the only one, and it does attract attention! ;)

I emailed Princess and they said it was not allowed as it was deemed a "dangerous weapon" This was for our cruise last Nov as I did not want it to be confiscated. Maybe you were just lucky and noone checked.

I always wear my kilt on formal evenings during cruises. Sometimes, when asked by the uninitiated what is worn under the kilt, my answer is always " NOTHING IS WORN. EVERYTHING IS IN FULL WORKING ORDER"

Happy cruising, Jimmy

I always wear my kilt on formal evenings during cruises. Sometimes, when asked by the uninitiated what is worn under the kilt, my answer is always " NOTHING IS WORN. EVERYTHING IS IN FULL WORKING ORDER"

Happy cruising, Jimmy

Actually, I heard a different answer: "Lipstick!"

Scots, we have been on several cruises and have noticed that whilst there are still the very few kilts being worn, there appears to be a few more men wearing tartan trews than before. This might be due to

luggage weight restrictions being more rigorously applied, or

A luggage space issue (on some ships formal, AND lounge suit AND smart casual are required)

Or it might be due to heat if you are in the hot weather areas.

The full highland outfit is heavy and can be warm to wear. The formal jacket/waistcoat with tartant trews (with finer socks and a dress rather than a ghillie brogue type shoe and no sporran) make a very acceptable alternative.

Its entirely your choice. Both look great.(but then I would say that, would I not) :)

For those who want some fun on this Burns Night with no cruelty to animals involved, http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/

Hi, My DH wears his kilt. The only time we didn't take it was to the Tahitian Princess as we were away for a long time and it weighs a lot. That's the main drawback though. Be prepared for people you've never met asking for photos - it's a great topic of conversation. We've not had any hassle with the dagger. It gets packed in main luggage and t is quite legal like that.

On a recent cruise around the Baltic he wore it on an evening trip to the Yusopov Palace and the stir when he got to quay was amazing. We hadn't known that Scottish things are very traditional there and that Robbie Burns is taught in schools. It was the only time we saw the Russian Immigration people smile - they were giving him a thumbs up and even got a photo with him when we went back through.

HTH Soraya

I wear a full Scottish kilt on formal nights and a Utilikilt on other nights. The UK can be a bit dangerous on first exploration of the upper decks, though, and The Question was answered to a few that first day.

Another question I am also asked is "Do you play bagpipes?" My answer is usually, "No, do you sumo wrestle?"

BTW, I wore my dirk in my sock on the Star Princess on their Halloween cruise this past year. No questions asked.

Hi, My DH wears his kilt. The only time we didn't take it was to the Tahitian Princess as we were away for a long time and it weighs a lot. That's the main drawback though. Be prepared for people you've never met asking for photos - it's a great topic of conversation. We've not had any hassle with the dagger. It gets packed in main luggage and t is quite legal like that.

HTH Soraya

Well you may just have been lucky with the Sgian dhub but I emailed Princess and they said a definite NO as it was an offensive weapon so we did not take a chance. I'm sure it would have been OK to pack it in the case but my son got his stolen from his case when he was travelling home from the US one time so we left it at home.

Archived