tourist gouging in Roatan?

AndrewM

See my thread "Do your own thing on Roatan" for ideas. The snorkeling at Half Moon Bay was excellent right off the beach, but that was my only experience snorkeling on Roatan.

I read your other thread and I appreciate the information but I just want to get to the West End and I don't want to pay 60 bucks to get there particularly when there is a minibus that will take me there for 60 cents. I wouldn't pay $60 to go that distance and back in my own country.

I'm getting the idea that tourists are being taken advantage of in Roatan.

I can get around Barbados and St. Thomas for 1 dollar no problem.

There's a lack of information on this island and I think it's because it's one of the newer ports. I hate having to be the guinea pig.

andrew.

there is plenty of information available, you just need to do the research.

As far as being taken advantage of in roatan, sure it could happen, but it could and does happen in every major us city and smaller ones as well as pretty much every city in the world.

the thing you have to do is, do the research, know what things cost, know what cab fares should cost and negotiate before you get in.

PT Barnum said it best, there is a sucker born every minute.

Do the research and you will be fine

there is plenty of information available, you just need to do the research.

I have spent days looking for experiences by tourists on the Roatan Tica minibuses and rental cars. I have yet to find one anecdote online by any traveler (save one scuba diver who took the bus one way). I've searched in multiple forums, google, deja, usenet not to mention multiple guide books on Honduras and the Bay Islands.

You must be aware of some information that you're not sharing with me if you think I haven't done my research. Please don't hold back. Also when I was saying being taken advantage of I was clearly refering to the $60 cab ride.

why not try doing a websearch for the Roatan chamber of commerce or tourist board or something like that.

Usually they have a ton of info

just for the heck of it i just did a google search for "roatan tourist board" and got a ton of hits.

even if you contact someone on the island who has nothing to do with what you want they can usually answer the question as a local

good luck

why not try doing a websearch for the Roatan chamber of commerce or tourist board or something like that.

Usually they have a ton of info

just for the heck of it i just did a google search for "roatan tourist board" and got a ton of hits.

even if you contact someone on the island who has nothing to do with what you want they can usually answer the question as a local

good luck

There is a load of information on Roatan online but no firsthand accounts of the Tica minibuses. I've phoned tourist offices in Roatan and they claim they exist and give me a price but it seems that they can't verify anything past that. No one on this board or other boards can comment past that either. I will give a first hand account late in March just so that it's available online for others. They're asking me to be the guinea pig for them. If you never hear from me again, I'd suggest not taking the minibuses.

We do have "collectivo" mini buses. These are used by islanders and gringos alike. The buses stop a lot along the route to West End, and will take you up into a large Colonia in Sandy Bay. The trip may take at most an hour, so a one way to get to West End is advisable. You can pick up these buses just past Warrens Supermarket in Coxen Hole or behind the Mercado, also in Coxen Hole (ask for directions). You'll need lempira change or $1.00 bills.

For you to get back to Coxen Hole and to be on time, I suggest hailing a cab, negotiating the price before getting in in Lempira and having it be what we call "Directivo", this means that the driver will not pick up other passengers along the way. Have the driver drop you back to Warrens and you stroll back to the ship. This is probably the only way to get past the large fees.

I hope this helps.

Island Dweller

We do have "collectivo" mini buses. These are used by islanders and gringos alike. The buses stop a lot along the route to West End, and will take you up into a large Colonia in Sandy Bay. The trip may take at most an hour, so a one way to get to West End is advisable. You can pick up these buses just past Warrens Supermarket in Coxen Hole or behind the Mercado, also in Coxen Hole (ask for directions). You'll need lempira change or $1.00 bills.

For you to get back to Coxen Hole and to be on time, I suggest hailing a cab, negotiating the price before getting in in Lempira and having it be what we call "Directivo", this means that the driver will not pick up other passengers along the way. Have the driver drop you back to Warrens and you stroll back to the ship. This is probably the only way to get past the large fees.

I hope this helps.

Island Dweller

Thank you so much! You wouldn't believe how much time I've spent researching this. How difficult is it to hail a cab from West End and where is the best place to try and do so? Also, do I have to pay in Lempira on the way back and if so how much Lempira should I be prepared to pay on average? I really appreciate your help!

andrew.

Archived