Shore Excursions (dolphin swim) is the destruction that bad??

Bostontraveler

My fiance and I are traveling on the Carnival Miracle Feb 5th and Cozumel is one of our ports. We were booked on a shore excursion through Carnival that was just canceled and as of right now there are no excursions in Cozumel to choose from. Are there no excursions at all? Has anyone been to Cozumel just recently, I mean how bad is it. Our other option would be to swim with the dolphins are their any companies on the island to book with with such short notice you think?

Any help is much appreciated! 19 more days till we're crusin'!:cool:

How unfortunate that Carnival has not updated you as to what is available as far as excursions go. The captive dolphin program isn't operating in Cozumel and won't until probably May or later. Their dolphin pens were completely destroyed by wilma.

What is operating is just about everything else. I can't tell you what Carnival might actually offer once you are on the ship, but I can link to some other excursion providers. http://www.travelnotes.cc and http://www.cozumelinsider.com both offer adventures geared toward cruise passengers.

Amy,

I just got off the Carnival Elation on Saturday and Carnival IS offering a ton of excursions in Cozumel. I am not sure why they are telling you that there aren't any?!!? I am in the process of scanning all my capers (which won't apply to your ship) and the shore excursion price list (which lists ALL the excursions and SHOULD apply to your ship). When I have everything scanned in tomorrow - I will post the link for you here. Hopefully that will help you some. :)

We were in Cozumel the first week in January. The destruction is amazing, but so is the attitude of the people. We took the Fury Catamaran excursion through Carnival and it was fantastic!!! Charlie and his staff did an excellent job and everyone had a blast. I highly recommend it

We are on a Princess cruise in April,& they have canceled a few excursions there, but still have many to choose from. Have you looked at this site? www.xcaret.com It is a beautiful park over on the mainland, you would have to catch a ferry from the cozumel dock.It's a 30 minute ride over & then catch a taxi to the park. Dolphin Discovery, the same company that offered the dolphin swims from Chaankanaab Park, also has a swim program on the mainland, Puerto Aventuras. You can also go to that website and read more, www.dolphindiscovery.com If you really want to do a dolphin swim, you can,you will just have to travel a little more to do it.By the way, X-caret also has a dolphin program at their park.Hope this helps:) Jaxson

Thanks guys. I think we've decided to just go with the flow and see what the ship has to offer or what we find on the island when we get there! Can't wait!
I think that would be a mistake. It will leave you unprepared to make an informed choice as to which excursion to take or whether to pass on the high price ship's excursions and do your own thing. You should have an initial plan, or at least an idea of what you want to do

We can help you if you will give us some information to base a recommendation on. What are your interests? How active do you want to be?

Navymommd,

Do you remember if Carnival had offered an ATV advernture. That was the excursion we were originally booked on and had been canceled

You can still do that adventure if you make your own arrangements.

If I can jump in on Bruce's comment with a question...

We're going to be in Coz on March 1 (my first time there), and although I'm usually very open to doing non-ship sponsored excursions, I've heard that the Wilma-related tendering makes schedules a little less reliable and those who sign up with the ship get special tendering to their excursion locations.

So, for this reason, and in this unique case, wouldn't paying a few more bucks be worth the peace of mind / convenience?

Just curious -

Thanks to those who keep us newbies informed!

I agree. For Cozumel we'll probably book through the ship. Not only will it be able to ease our mind but I know that in most ports they let you off the ship if you have an early shore excursion through the cruise. We're going to book through carnival not just for the simplicity of it but to get off the ship faster too! I'll let you know how it goes when we get back

Thanks for all your reply's :)

Boston traveler: We are on the Miracle the week before you and the same thing has happened to us. If you go on Carnival and see view excursions, you cannot order anything. Carnivl has put a hold on ordering. I checked and there are 4 other ships in port that day so we are even wondering if we will stop there. I am not sure how limited the port is now. So we also are going to wait until we get more information on board.

Archived