Magica Mexican Magic 06.02.25

blowers

Hi I am new to the site and from the UK

First Cruise was Costa Mediterranea Ancient Treasures last Oct and we loved it (especially Venice/Istanbul)

Wife has the big C but in remission and currently doing well so it's quickly off to the Caribbean -first time!

Was a minority Brit on Meditearrnea but not a problem ....and not put off by some of the neg Magica comments

(think there are more important things in life than odd queues and amusing insignificant issues such as having to log credit card 24 hrs later)

Anyway your advise sought pse:

1) Flight to Atlanta from Gatwick then change to Miami -how long will that be all in pse? (we stay in hotel 1st night)

2) How long is the tf to Ft laud (I guess depends where Costa put us up the night!)

(NBre below - we did one organised trip on the Med but found it a little too long winded -prefer to grab a taxi where "safe" then back to ship in 2-3 hours -wife is reasonably ok to walk etc but we won't be doing anything too strenuous)

Where is safe -ish doing this ourselves where do we need to be carefull?

Also just bought nice digital Slr -where should I gio for good pics and where should i not take camera on excursions?

Is Everglades a good/worthwhile trip -book ourselves or need to do via Costa ?

Key West Trolley Tour -what is that about?

Cozumel-recommendations pse

Ocho rios -must be the Dunn Falls for a look/photos only -pre -book one of those web advertised tours perhaps? The rubber rings trip on the river? (see above re camera-maybe leave on ship!)

San Juan 5pm or later-just a walk around?

Catalina -seems like a beach trip -is there a beach BBQ organised by Costa if I read threads correctly?

Grand Cayman-Stingray City seems a must

La Romana -seems a waste of time or maybe the show that is mentioned?

Nassau -maybe a cab around island?

Any other advice welcomed many thanks

Sorry about lots of questions!

Geoff

Hi Geoff!

First of all, welcome to the forum! Never too many questions... questions are always welcome and encouraged...

Let me answer at least a few of your questions:

Everglades:

While staying in Fort Lauderdale the Everglades National Park is not too far away. Although I don't know Costa's excursion, but it is fairly easy to do the Everglades by yourself as well, by simply renting a car for a day. The entrance to the actual Everglades National Park is located just west of Homestead, which you can reach easiest via the Florida Turnpike. Once in the park (there is a nominal fee per vehicle) you have several stops with boardwalks and overviews and interesting facts about the different areas and stages of the Everglades. At the end of the road (approx. 35 miles) you'll find the small town/village of Flamingo. Flamingo has a marina, where you are able to rent small boats and you'll be able to explore the Everglades as close as you can get.

Key West:

The Key West Conch Trolley Tour is an ideal way to explore Key West and get a good tour of the city. It is narrated and has several stops along the way, where you can exit the trolley, go eat, shop, etc. and then catch a later trolley to continue the route. Just make sure you do that with plenty of time to spare, so that you don't get under time pressure later on.

Cozumel:

That is an ideal place to rent a car. We rented a Jeep and toured the island and the historic sites. It's easy to navigate (one main road around the island) and you can stop on beautiful and deserted beaches, bars and shopping opportunities.

Grand Cayman:

Don't miss Stingray City... that is an exceptional and once in a lifetime experience!!! You don't have to book through Costa, there are plenty of private charters available once you tender to port.

Ocho Rios:

We loved to climb the falls... again we went out by ourselves and hired a driver (with assitant), who brought us to the falls, a private beach and shopping opportunities, before dropping us back at the ship.

Catalina Island:

Beautiful beach and great spot to relax. Yes, the BBQ is all arranged by the Costa staff and they bring the items from the ship to the island. DO NOT DRINK the water from the island... they warn about that. Only drink items, which were brought from the ship directly... you can't miss it... just look for the huge Tikki Hut.

Nassau:

If you like shopping and haggeling for deal... the straw market is a fun place to visit. Otherwise just along the busy shopping streets or even a trip to Atlantis might be fun as well...

Please feel free to ask additional questions...

Andy

Andy many thanks for the info

Not keen on hiring a car after a bad experinece first time hired a car abroad (someone drove into us) ...so will keep to taxis

Are taxis mainly licenced and ok in the areas mentioned?

Any other Cozumel options without a car?

I guess as we will be on back to back trip and go to ft laud halfway on cruise then Costa's trip to everglades could be best option?

Geoff

Any other Cozumel options without a car?

As we stayed in MX last year we did the day trip to Cozumel..doesn't take long to take a taxi around the island--so when our ship pulls in in March we plan to just take a taxi to Paradise Beach & veg out--have heard they now have it back even better than before.(hurricane) Also shopping downtown--am hoping they have put their 'jesters' back up on the poles along the street. They make nice pictures.

Well I attempted to post this before--sure hope 2 don't pop up--but have been on and off & it didn't post..so if TWO go thru I am sorry..

Archived