Breaking Queen Mary Two News

NBCNewsGuy

Karie,

It does not work like that - she can comfortably do 22 knots on 2 pods - and only uses the extra engines (in the funnel housing) and pods (the forward, non-azimuthing ones) to get up to 28 knots +. So I don't know how fast she will be able to go on 3 pods, but I would guess 25-26 knots. The economics of express liners was always very dicey as the fuel bill frequently doubled for those last couple of knots.

Peter

Peter,

I can't imagine her making *all* her ports in S.A. if she can only do 26 knots. She's already a day behind and would have to do at least 30 to catch up.....They're going to have to cancel one of the ports of call just to make it to S.F. on time if they're running on only 3

Tracy

Peter,

I can't imagine her making *all* her ports in S.A. if she can only do 26 knots. She's already a day behind and would have to do at least 30 to catch up.....They're going to have to cancel one of the ports of call just to make it to S.F. on time if they're running on only 3

Tracy

Tracy,

I don't know what average speed they have assumed for the SA trip. It is bound to be well below her top speed. I know they prefer to run her at 22 knots or so to save on the expensive gas turbine fuel. Mickey said as much in a quarterly earnings conference call. For the Transatlantic for example, on the shortest route she can cross at a little under 24 knots - and keep to schedule - the reserves of speed are there so she can take a longer route, or catch up delays - which on a Transatlantic you cannot do by dropping ports. Any other ship, down one azipod, would likely have to scrap the whole trip. Lets see how QM2 does.

Peter

On the third or fourth day of the 20/11 crossing we came

to a what seemed like full stop for a couple of hours in the late afternoon to make a check of the engines. Fortunately, we started going again during dinner. Would rather be stuck in

Florida than somewhere where you might have to sit

and wait for the Carpathia.

Tim

I posted on page 3 of these Boards 'What I learned on the Nov 20th voyage' and with various comments etc, I paste the 'event'we had---

If they have bad luck now- Well they can change the blades (see my

comment on how they do this on the Nov 20th post) but anything more

serious,dents in the pod etc.will will be hard to correct without a call to

GWB and a trip to Norfolk for the dry dock there. A cruise to Chesapeake

would be fun,but the weather is not up to St Kitts?

Events- 4th day or so,fog horn blowing as we met the usual Labrador/Gulf

current fogs the Captain announced at 5 pm- 'we shall be turning off the

engines to make an 'adjustment'- don't be concerned with the few shakes &

shudders for a few minutes-'Then on the cabin TV the GPS readout went to O

then -0.3 then -1.7kn- by now the propellors were not turning and the boat

was going eastward over ground with the Gulf Stream. Later the Captain

explained to me that the boat was 'never dead in the water' so he did not

hoist 2 vertical Red lights for 'not in command' - the Coast Guard lighting

rules when a boat is stationary (not under command) at sea. Anyway the Chief Engineer later told me they used the 'adjustment time' to check the Rolls Royce pod engines

which had just had new bearings in the re-fit last week in Hamburg dry dock.

Apparently one engine was fractionally running warmer and they used the time

with the props stationary to check the oil level in each of the electric motor

pod engines- as these cost several $m they don't want to damage then after

he refit etc. Fortunately there was no serious problem & we were underway

again after a short while- The boat never rolled,pitched or tossed mid Atlantic

even when stopped in fairly calm foggy conditions,but I have never been 'dead in the water' in any boat except my own 50' sailboat in mid- Atlantic!

Karie,

It does not work like that - she can comfortably do 22 knots on 2 pods - and only uses the extra engines (in the funnel housing) and pods (the forward, non-azimuthing ones) to get up to 28 knots +. So I don't know how fast she will be able to go on 3 pods, but I would guess 25-26 knots. The economics of express liners was always very dicey as the fuel bill frequently doubled for those last couple of knots.

Peter

Okay,

I had a lovely post ready, was adding a shot of the QM1 (trying to resize it- the picture, not the ship!) and I crashed my ancient squirrel-driven computer. So I'm back.

Peter, thank you for educating me. Just as well I didn't post the other post and show how really stupid I am! I based the 17-18 kts on what one of the reports had said- It sounded as if he could only do that due to the loss of one. Maybe he was just being cautious. It's good that the ship can run fully on the three, or even two.

Now- I suddenly realized I know absolutely NOTHING about ship propulsion, or even the true purpose of the funnels. Or how the outside stuff translates to the inside stuff! I do plan to study up. I'm not sure how the funnel relates to the engines other than being an exhaust port. Does the funnel housing extend all of the way to the bottom of the hull and encapsulate the engines/gears/whatever translates from the outside of the hull I.E. "pods" to the inside where the little mice "stoke the coal"? (Actally- diesel schmiesel, it runs on our leftovers from the Brittania Grill.) I guess I had only vague ideas of how the ship actually runs! (isn't it like that little scuba guy you got in your cheerios as a kid? You put the baking soda in the little pot on his feet, add vinegar, stick him in the bathtub and watch him GO-O-O-O!) So what is actually inside the funnel, and how far down does it extend? Are there turbines inside the funnel that are translated into lateral movement by gearing? And what runs the turbines? Diesel normally, and gas when they need the extra speed?

Fortunately, I bought the John Maxtone Graham book on the QM2, and I expect that will have some explanations (additionally, I bought "the Only Way to Cross" and the Commodore's book on the QE2) I aslo bought the cruise DVD (I'm in it!) I understand it tours the engine room and other add-ons I am looking forward to. I meant to do the history tour of the decks with my video-cam, but never did. Of course I read many of them, but I would like to have them all. I think that is included in the DVD.

Funny aside- Our stairwell/deck had the one on the Riband races. Marc delighted in telling me one day about a conversation he had with the band's piano player- the one who played the duet with the comedian/pianist on the cruise- about the Blue Riband races (and several other interesting insider facts about the ship). Well, I delighted in telling him about the fact that he obviously didn't read the mural right in our own elevator lobby!

So anyway, thanks Peter, for setting me straight, and I'd love to learn more about what makes her go.

I guess I will meander on over to that other site now, and see the posts.

Karie

P.S. I promise I will try to post that QM shot.

I'm not sure how the funnel relates to the engines other than being an exhaust port. Does the funnel housing extend all of the way to the bottom of the hull and encapsulate the engines/gears/whatever translates from the outside of the hull .

Karie,

The QM2 has two types of engines - big heavy diesels, burning cheap bunker oil, down in the hull, and much lighter gas turbines (like jet engines) mounted in the funnel housing - so its easy for them to get the air they need - burning more expensive stuff. Both produce electricity which is used to drive the azipods. The two at the back are the ones normally used as they can turn through 360' to steer the ship. When they need to go faster the two further forward, which are fixed and don't turn, are used too. What they would have done if they had damaged one of the aft steering azipods I don't know - it might have been quite a bit more serious.

Peter

Tracy,

I don't know what average speed they have assumed for the SA trip. It is bound to be well below her top speed. I know they prefer to run her at 22 knots or so to save on the expensive gas turbine fuel. Mickey said as much in a quarterly earnings conference call. For the Transatlantic for example, on the shortest route she can cross at a little under 24 knots - and keep to schedule - the reserves of speed are there so she can take a longer route, or catch up delays - which on a Transatlantic you cannot do by dropping ports. Any other ship, down one azipod, would likely have to scrap the whole trip. Lets see how QM2 does.

Peter

Peter,

good point :) I'm a little concerned as I'm on the Hawaii voyage and my Husband is going to be a lecturer on board during that time. This, potentially, affects his lectures and our trip. I'm just hoping they don't decide to shave off time or cancel the Hawaii voyage but I'm having a hard time seeing how they can avoid it.

I dont' think they'd let her go too long without repair but I don't remember any dry docks between her South American ports of call and Los Angeles that would do the trick. The only one I'm remembering is San Diego (if they got the OK from the Naval yard there). I mean, with one pod out they're going to have to get her in dry dock to replace it aren't they? Is there some other way to do it?

I suppose they could wait until South Hampton again but that seems highly unlikely. Any thoughts?

And, they could always cancel the 3 day Ensanada cruise.....that would buy some time. But, I have a friend booked on that one and I think she'd be reduced to tears if it cancelled.

Tracy

I mean, with one pod out they're going to have to get her in dry dock to replace it aren't they? Is there some other way to do it? I suppose they could wait until South Hampton again but that seems highly unlikely. Any thoughts?

Tracy,

I understand your concern - LA to Maui is a little over 2500 miles or around 2175 nautical miles. The QM2 is due to depart LA 5pm 26th Feb, arriving Maui 8am March 1 - I make that 89 hours - but I may have my time zones muddled - so she needs to average 24 knots - which I would think should be doable on 3 pods....I don't think we know whether its the pod itself thats damaged, or just the blades - but I would guess that either would need dry dock.

The Normandie lost one of her 4 screws and more or less maintained her timetable for several voyages....so this is nothing new.

Peter

Thanks, Bollinge. From the bottom, I think I can faintly see NCC-1701 etched on the side of one! <G>

Tracy,

I don't think there is a chance of Hawaii getting cancelled. For one thing, Kim's parent's live there. And in terms of operating income/PR/Passenger satisfaction, it is too important a trip. I could see the Ensenada "cruise to nowhere" cancelled before I could see something as big as Hawaii! Besides, she's only lost 1 full day. That can easily be made up, unless there are further repercussions or a lot more troubles (such as adverse weather coditions) down the road. I am quite certain a decent amount of "scootch room" is built into the schedule, mechanical beasts, the seas, weather, and other items beyond one's control being what they are.

When you are talking the amount of ocean she has to play with, I am sure they can alter little things, such as hugging the shore more closely, (or going further out if there are more favorable currents) before they would need to cancel an entire cruise (and lose all of that revenue!)

Hey! perhaps my idea of the original Queen Mary.... Nah!

Karie

P.S. What is your husband lecturing on?

Tracy,

I understand your concern - LA to Maui is a little over 2500 miles or around 2175 nautical miles. The QM2 is due to depart LA 5pm 26th Feb, arriving Maui 8am March 1 - I make that 89 hours - but I may have my time zones muddled - so she needs to average 24 knots - which I would think should be doable on 3 pods....I don't think we know whether its the pod itself thats damaged, or just the blades - but I would guess that either would need dry dock.

The Normandie lost one of her 4 screws and more or less maintained her timetable for several voyages....so this is nothing new.

Peter

'nother good point :) And, now that I think about it, she must be do for a retrofit/time off/re-paint pretty soon so they've got to have her scheduled for something before too much longer (she's been in the water a while as I remember). AND, I think she's headed toward Italy before she lands at SH. The Franketelli yards could probably do it a repair of that magnitude.....Come to think of it so could Alstom.

she must be do for a retrofit/time off/re-paint pretty soon so they've got to have her scheduled for something before too much longer

Unfortunately she's just had one in November - so I doubt another one is due for two years or so - they are going to have to dig a hole in the timetable somewhere - but my bet would be AFTER her West Coast debut.....back in Europe.

Peter

Unfortunately she's just had one in November - so I doubt another one is due for two years or so - they are going to have to dig a hole in the timetable somewhere - but my bet would be AFTER her West Coast debut.....back in Europe.

Peter

And AFTER the much touted and multi-press-released meeting of the Mary's at Long Beach!

Karie

well, I haven't finished my azipod (and non-azipod) schooling yet, but I know that if you have a twin engine airplane and lose one engine, you have an instant problem beyond what you would have from simple engine out (after all, they have airplanes called gliders that can land perfectly adequately with NO engine!) What you have is adverse and instant yaw. You have thrust on one side and drag on the other, causing the airplane to want to turn violently to one side, therefore you need to quickly feather or neutralize the prop. If only one pod is down, does it make sense that they would have to account for the differential in thrust from the remaining paired pod, which might entail some serious reworking of settings? Does anyone know if the props on the static pods are adjustable as to pitch? Or is pitch their one control to begin with? I do not know!

Ignorant Karie

:confused: Good evening all,......

If one is downright practical about the problem and the need to solve it quickly;; the best solution, IMO,: scrub the 3 days Ensanada short trip, line up a shipyard in SanFransisco or SanDiego to do a 48-60 hours drydock repair ( both have had experience with azipods '' problem'' in the past, Celebrity's Infinity in SanDiego & Summit in SanFransisco, twice)after she arrives on the WestCoast...1 day late.....and you have her back on track and you also avoid further damages which could cost a lot more than 2-3 days later on when back in Europe...

My opinion....but let's face it; they got a problem....they need to solve it....

Cheers

CG

:rolleyes:

Of course, all of the above is pertinent if the spare parts or complete azipod is available. And then available where?

I suppose they could ship via air. Do FedEx do a cardboard box that big?

The propellers are all fixed pitch, so you would want to remove a damaged propeller altogether to cut down on drag.

More news:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/sfl-cqueenmary19jan19,0,5650239.story?coll=sfla-business-headlines

scrub the 3 days Ensanada short trip

Don't they need to do that to get round (or comply with, depending on your pov) the Jones Act? IIRC non-American ships are not allowed to sail between American ports - hence the trip to Ensanada.

Peter

As a rule of thumb, if it takes 75,000 shp to drive your ship at 25 knots, it will take 75% more than that to achieve 30 knots. Due to hydro dynamic friction and the fact that propellors become increasingly inefficient at higher speeds.

:confused: Good evening all,......

If one is downright practical about the problem and the need to solve it quickly;; the best solution, IMO,: scrub the 3 days Ensanada short trip, line up a shipyard in SanFransisco or SanDiego to do a 48-60 hours drydock repair ( both have had experience with azipods '' problem'' in the past, Celebrity's Infinity in SanDiego & Summit in SanFransisco, twice)after she arrives on the WestCoast...1 day late.....and you have her back on track and you also avoid further damages which could cost a lot more than 2-3 days later on when back in Europe...

My opinion....but let's face it; they got a problem....they need to solve it....

Cheers

CG

:rolleyes:

:( That's the worst scenario!! For us, at least. We're booked on that cruise, docs in hand. This was booked the moment we heard of it, in November 2004!

I was telling my husband just last night I fear this is what will happen. It was going be special for us, our 20th wedding anniversary is on Feb 23, the second day of this little cruise. However, from what I understand there were to be a lot of Cunard employees on this trip, probably easier to cancel than a cruise producing more revenue.:(

Only time will tell, we'll be watching the news closely!

BTW, I think the only port that could dry dock a ship this big in the Pacific is actually in Hawaii. That's why we don't have the really large cruise ships out here (plus the Panama Canal thing).

Archived