Winter Attire

We're sailing on Hurtigruten next February and are very excited. I'm used to cold weather, but even the upper peninsula of Michigan doesn't qualify as arctic. Would you advise us to bring our polar expedition parkas or is that a bit over the top?

Thank you and looking forward to sailing on Hurtigruten. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We’re equally excited to have you! Tell me, where are you headed in February? All of our expedition cruises gift a complimentary parka to all guests; this does not apply to our Coastal Norway cruises, however, so that depends on where you’re going. If you’re headed to Norway in February, I think a polar expedition parka is just the ticket. We recommend a thick winter jacket, hat, gloves, wool sweater, and scarf. Layers are essential. Wool thermal underwear is also recommended, both top and bottom, as are winter hiking boots with a good grip and warm socks. Please just be sure the boots are broken-in! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice.  We're starting with coastal Norway, up and back. I am from an island in the Great Lakes and visit home most winters so have a Canada Goose expedition parka. Pond hockey tournaments on the town bay mean lots of standing around, sometimes at -17 F. We're hiking in Yellowstone Park this spring, which should break in the boots. We're talking about Hurtigruten to Greenland or the Northwest Passage in 2022. We haven't made a choice, yet. I suspect we'll do both!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1