QM2 Pod damage leaving Ft Lauderdale?

Navaleye

At about 3pm EST the ship had slowed to a stop a few mile East of Ft Lauderdale, FL. Commodore Warwick announced they were evaluating a mechanical problem. Again at 5 they announced they were still in the "assesment mode" and after 7pm the ship returned on 3 motors at about 17K to the Port, and was along side before 11pm. We were not aware of structural damage, but divers are evaluating that now. Passengers are being offered shore excursions ($59) or a complimentary bus to a mall, and have been told the plan is to leave by 6pm.

I have learned more from the boards than from the staff at this point.

It is a marvelous ship, however, and we are having a great time.

Rick

At approximately 11a.m. EST a large crane sits at the stern. The bow davit/crane has been raised, as if to remove the spare propellor blades. I spoke with two passengers who said they definitely heard and grinding, scraping vibration, but nothing "official" has been announced.

Rick J

MIAMI - The Coast Guard will conduct an inspection and investigation of the Queen Mary 2 when it arrives at Terminal 21 in Port Everglades about 10 p.m.

Approximately 5:30 p.m., the Captain of the Queen Mary 2 reported to the Coast Guard the ship had experienced a noise and unusual vibration in the engine room at approximately 1:50 p.m. five miles outside of the Port of Everglades and had reason to believe they may have struck a submerged object.

According to a statement released by Princess Cruises, bridge instruments indicated a problem with one of the ship’s four propulsion motors.

A Captain of the Port Order was issued by the Coast Guard requiring the Queen Mary 2 to use tug-boats to assist in returning to port.

The vessel will be required to remain at the pier until the Coast Guard determines if the vessels and its passengers are safe. There have been no reports of injury or pollution as this time. The cause of the noise and vibration are not known at this time.

The Coast Guard will be working with the ships crew and flag state officials. The Queen Mary 2 is a United Kingdom flagged vessel.

http://www.d7publicaffairs.com/

Following the propeller damage she has sustained, it seems that the Queen is to set sail with only three of her four azipods operational.

This will severely curtail her service speed, and I suspect there will be lots of chopping and changing and cancelling of ports of call as the (now) 35 day voyage proceeds.

If the damage is more than just the propeller blades, there will probably have to be a dry dock to repair or replace the pod. Don't wish to be a doom-monger but that would inevitably involve cruise cancellations.

We are booked on in April. (Smug)

Another link to Florida TV station

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI14280/

PORT EVERGLADES, Fla. (AP) -- One of the Queen Mary 2's four propulsion motors hit the side of an shipping channel, but the world's largest and most expensive ocean liner should be able continue on its voyage to South America, Cunard Line said Wednesday.

It is 8:30pm Wednesday evening, has QM2 left FL? Any new updates?

Thanks again for the all the posts. I do have a question not exactly related. When I was on the Dec 8th cruise our cabin was 8124 and when walking the halls or 8 deck or above I could hear a whistling sound in the inside corridors while the ship was at sea. Did anyone else hear the noise? Sound was like air was coming into through a crack.

Thanks again for the all the posts. I do have a question not exactly related. When I was on the Dec 8th cruise our cabin was 8124 and when walking the halls or 8 deck or above I could hear a whistling sound in the inside corridors while the ship was at sea. Did anyone else hear the noise? Sound was like air was coming into through a crack.

We just left cabin 8095 Sunday.

What I discovered is that if you open the doors to the service alleyways, they seem to be connected (some have stairwells) to some interior portion of the ship which allows a draft. You may find tht some of these doors don't close too well. I found as we traipsed up that lo-o-o-ng corridor up to the library, bookstore, and up one flight to our beloved Commodore Club and Paul, one of the bartenders, in my dressy shoes on my sore feet, I might stop to lean against one of these to take said shoes off and tip-toe stocking-footed past those early-to-bed types already sleeping (instead of my usual elephant stampede.) That is generally where I found the sound to be coming from. And sometiems, in windy conditions, I found it difficult to pull my balcony door tight enough to prevent whistling- especially that last night coming into colder areas where that temperature differential will also create a pressure differential. Even locked, I had to yank pretty hard to get the whislting to stop.

Not the same as the "other sounds" on 6 deck! Those were more of an "other-worldly" kind! <G>

Karie

Missing our Girl already.

We were on the 11th deck on the 12/8 cruise. When it was windy, and we had our balcony door opened, the wind traveled into the hallway. We heard the whistling sound as we walked in the corridor in front of other cabins, and thought that someone's balcony door was opened.

Archived