LEGEND 9th - 23rd APRIL SUGGESTIONS

dmb707

does anyone have any suggestions for trips, things to see on the above sailing, i have never cruised the caribbean before so have no idea of what is good etc

i am not a fan of organised tours, much prefer to go out exploring etc on our own

any good beaches etc to visit

thanks

deb

Deb, St. Bart's is one of my very favorite Islands. Go to "Le Select" and have lunch. This is Jimmy Buffet's favorite cantina.....have a "Cheeseburger in Paradise"......he wrote the song there. Many of the colorful locals hang-out here. Shopping is wonderful, too. Rent a car and tour a 'round. The island is quite beautiful.

Don't miss the picnic on Prickly Pear Island. (Virgin Gorda) Many love "The Bath's" excursion. I believe you can do both.

Your cruise sounds very exciting.......enjoy!

MB

Hi Deb

Can't help you with suggestions but as a fellow Londoner I thought I'd say Hi and look forward to seeing you when I board in Charlotte Amalie halfway through your cruise. I'm staying on for the crossing to Lisbon as well.

See you at the Sky Bar!

Deb......excuse me~~~just "caught" your sailing is 2 weeks!

Martinique is a fun island to explore....don't stray too far from Fort-de-France, though.

St. John's you might enjoy going to Caneel Bay Resort for lunch......

picturesque and charming. 'Old San Juan is wonderful to walk around in the downtown area.

Beautiful beaches on most of the Islands.

I too enjoy "going and exploring on my own."

MB

Hi Deb,

My Mom and I will be cruising with you (Apr. 9 - 23) looking forward to meeting you. Many of these ports we haven't been to and while we both like to book an occasional excursion, we also love to explore on our own.

Norm, I didn't realize you would be boarding halfway through and am looking forward to meeting you as well.

Lisa :)

Hi all -- I am on the first week of this cruise April 9 - 16. St. John the beaches and snorkeling absolutely incredible so that is definitely going to be a day touring beaches for me. St. Croix I hear Buck Island is a do not miss and I have had some previous discussion on this board of trying to arrange a private excursion there directly from Fredericksted as the others go from Christiansted which is some distance from our port and in my opinion are too short a time at Buck Island -- only one hour. Looking for contact info on how to do that and if anyone wants to share a charter . . . Martinique I hear language is an issue and may be most difficult port to arrange things on your own so I think I am going to do Seabourne's tour of Martinique . . .Nevis I am really torn because the art tour looks great as does the special Exclusively Seabourn Excursion and I also want to visit the Four Seasons Resort (husband playing golf there) and see Nisbet Plantation Beach Club (possibly for a future trip) so just not enough hours in the day there . . . St. Kitts totally undecided!!!! For those of you going to San Juan the second week I have been there a number of times most recently in November when we toured El Yunque which was just great, we took a relatively easy hike to the waterfall there. This is better done by renting a car as a group and going at your own pace and seeing what you want rather than on a tour, it's about a 45 minute drive from San Juan. Wish I was on the second week too but can only take one week as I have kiddies at home!

In San Juan, if you're in the downtown area, is "The El Convento" Hotel would be a nice luncheon spot. If you go to the area of "Isla of Verde" there is a lovely Ritz Hotel......also the El San Juan Hotel.

(quite lovely--On Thursday evenings they have a lobby "Tango" dance)

Many great resorts to visit around the Island.

MB

Thanks for all the suggestions, MB i love your ideas, as they seem to involve nice places for lunch (which is always very appealing) although i do love lunch in the restaurant, so it is always a toss up do i stay ashore or go back! Lisa, Norm and Alisonjames i look forward to meeting you all at the skybar!

thank you all again

deb

Hey Deb...hello again all. I am on the same cruise. Did you receive your shore excursion booklets today? Since it's such a small ship, I guess there won't be a "crush" at the desk, once we're aboard, to sign up for excursions. On Holland America, you could book them online before you sailed, which was nice. Anyway, I jumped up and down this morning, getting a package from Seabourn! :) As time draws near, I look forward to meeting you all.

Blessings!

Jane :rolleyes:

Since it's such a small ship, I guess there won't be a "crush" at the desk, once we're aboard, to sign up for excursions.

You will find a form in your suite that has all of the shore excursions listed with prices. Usually there are new and different ones that the shore excursion booklet you get pre-cruise so be sure to read it over! The excursion guy/gal will hold an informational talk about the ports of call which will be re-played on TV throughout the cruise. All you need to do is drop your order form off at the excursion desk, which I have never seen with a line! :)

Bon Voyage!

I love, love, love these boards. You all are the absolute best. It's so great to have info beforehand on all these things. Thanks so much!

Jane :)

Have you received your Cruise Information book yet? WE got ours yesterday--It's our 3rd time on pretty much the same itinerary--this is the best set of tours etc. yet. We have picked 3 already, and we have been to each place before! Don

No i have not received my tour booklet yet are they similar to the ones on seabourn web site? although i'm not sure that i will be doing many ship tours, the only time i have was when in St Petersburg last July where i booked too late to get a visa in time so had no choice!

deb

Hi LaPaloma. Yes, I got the shore excursion booklets. I would be very interested in your opinions, since you've been on this itinerary before. I am going to be trying to scuba dive in most ports, but my brother in law was particularly interested in the St. Kitts Rail Tour. He loves trains. I'm also looking forward to the two Seabourn complimentary excursions. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Took this shore excursion shortly after it started in late 2004. We found it pretty boring. It was fine for the first hour but after that it was repitition of the same scenery banana plants, sugar cane? etc. Train is narrow gauge and moves pretty slowly over the rough track. Three hours was just too long. A beach day might be a better choice.

Hi LaPaloma. Yes, I got the shore excursion booklets. I would be very interested in your opinions, since you've been on this itinerary before. I am going to be trying to scuba dive in most ports, but my brother in law was particularly interested in the St. Kitts Rail Tour. He loves trains. I'm also looking forward to the two Seabourn complimentary excursions. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

I agree with JImmy that the sugar cane rail tour is a bummer--we didn't take it, but those who did thought it was just ok, and to long. We are not on your 1st week, but we did close to the same itinerary a year ago--the people that did the scuba dive on St Kitts thought it was great--I believe on Nevis the short "garden and fort tour" was good. On St Johns-- the Island tour is good, but the people who did the snorkle(sp?) tour loved it, and on the way to the site they saw all the best parts of the Island Tour. The 2nd week we are doing--Sites of St Barts(its short)--Historical San Juan and Bacardi Rum, and Virgin Gorda Experience(this is a can't miss experience). On St Maarten the people that do the 12 Meter Regatta loved it. On St. Barts and St. Maarten town wandering is fun--St Barts is kind of classey, and St Maarten is wild--some good duty free shopping! Having lived in the Caribbean for many years our choices of tours is a little tainted, and we don't like long tours! I think you have picked a great two week trip. We will see you at the Skybar the16th, before life boat drill!! Don

Archived