Lose by April 30, 2006

tjwcs

Hello! I'm a 26 year old guy desperatly trying to get his 6 pack back (not talking about beer either- thats one reason I'm in such bad shape) :D

I've just started my workout routine this week, trying to get into better shape by the end of april (cruising on may 6th) I was in great shape 12 months ago, but let myself go. my goal is to get rid of 20lbs I gained between then and now. I currently weigh 200 even. My workout is a simple circuit workout for 30 minutes a day (resting on Saturday and Sunday). It worked GREAT for me a year ago. (lost a total of 20 pounds in 2 months and was in the best shape of my life.)

who else has has a weight-loss goal by the end of April? we need some friendly competitoin to keep us motivated! :D

sounds like you're pretty much on my timeframe as well!

we cruise for the first time at the end of may/beg of june and i am trying to drop at the very least 5 lbs per month. this month so far so good - i've lost 7 lbs, but i am quite sure that most of that is water!

trying the eating proper portion sizes of healthy foods and exercise combo - that is at least one hour of 'intense' (for me) cardio 3 times per week, plus any other classes or dvds that i can fit into my busy schedule:)

i know that weight loss in guys and girls is kinda different, and sometimes the things that work for one, don't for the other, but if you find something in particular that is working for you - please pass it on and i'll do the same!

good luck to you!

also, in response to the 1st post - haven't tried jazzercise, but have wanted to ... do you do a class or a dvd?

7lbs, great job!!

I have always ate pretty healthy, so my diet has not changed much- smaller protions i guess.

My wife has been doing Taebo while I've been on my circuit workout. Taebo wasn't getting me winded at all, and I wasn't seeing very good results when i was doing it a year ago. My wife on the other hand has had a lot of luck with it...?

My routine goes like this:

5 mintues of intense cardo (I change it up, usually stairs, jump rope or running an incline)

1 minute lunge/bicep curls

1 mintue wide squat/overhead press

1 minute narrow squat should shrugs

2 minute butterfly sit-ups

2 minute push-ups

I do that routine 3 times in a row, 5 days a week resting on the weekends. it works really well for me- instead of counting reps, you just push out as many of the excercise as you can- never stoppping.

No DVD's or tapes or classes, just my IPOD for a little musical motivation.

thanks for the heads up on taebo - i've heard great things about it from others and thought that the hubby and i could do it together, but now that i know that it may not work for everyone, we won't be disappointed in case it doesn't work for one of us.

we've found that the stability ball workouts are extremely good for both sexes, though - if you want to try something else.

at the end of jan i expect that i will hit a plateau and need to switch up my workout routine (right now 20min xtrain, 20min stepper, 20min tread plus cooldown) to include weights (this has worked for me before), but i never thought about just going for a timeframe, instead of counting reps (i always lose track!:o ) - maybe i'll try it though...

also, we booked our cruise today - so we have a firm date! we don't sail til the 28th of may, so i think i'll be able to lose a few extra pounds before i leave (i hope!)

good luck exercising and keep me posted as you lose!

I don't see anyone saying they warm-up first then stretch. Very important. Also stretching at the end. 10 to 30 seconds each stretch. Muscles get tight and need to be stretched at the end.

Hi everyone!

I love hearing about everyones workout routines.

I have lost 2 pounds already!

I really enjoy doing Jazzersize. I go 3 times a week.

So far so good!

It is a 60 minute workout. I have never been able to exercise that long, but with the way you warm up, work, and then cool down it goes really fast. I have never really done weights before and this has a really nice weight part every time.

Well, good luck to everyone.

Teena

wkm -

you are right - stretching and warm-up are two important parts of any workout (including all of mine) - i just didn't mention them because they don't contribute to the core calorie-burning of my workout. a sample warm-up for me would be 3 different leg stretches and 2 arm stretches followed by 5 min of brisk walking/slow jogging on the crosstrainer to slowly raise my heartrate. same stretches are done at the end of my workout, after my final cooldown (5 min at 2.5 on level incline on treadmill). when i do any workout dvds, they incorporate the stretching into the process.

thanks for pointing out that none of us had mentioned stretching or warm-up!:)

jocey

• 3 weeks later...

not sure if anyone is still checking this thread or not, but i was wondering how we are doing with our weight loss and exercise...

i'm down 10.5 lb total from the beginning of jan. from what i can tell, i am right on track (if not ahead by a couple of weeks!)

hope you guys are losing and toning too!

jocey

• 4 weeks later...

been a while, been real busy working out and trying to nurse a broken leg. it's tough to hit your goal when cardio is out of the question, but i've managed 12lbs so far and the doc said my leg will be good to go next week :D

ouch! sorry to hear about the broken leg! i can imagine how tough that makes things. i've had some ups and downs since i caught a ridiculous cold that took a while to cure, and then i hurt my ankle so i can't run, walk inclines and it really hurts to climb stairs! but i'm working on that and should be back to it next week!

good job on the 12 lbs - i'm down about 14 lbs now...still a ways to go, but i feel much better about it than i did when i was sick and gaining a couple of weeks ago...

keep up the good work, and you'll be back to a normal routine before you know it!!!

jocey

thanks for the encouragement. As of monday I'm back to my normal routine...Shaky legs and all. it's amazing how much your body compensates. my upper body is solid, my legs (which were the only part i was happy with) aren't so much...I'll be able to gain the leg mass I'm looking for though, it's all just a matter of time.

I didn't gain any extra weight as a result of the bum leg, but it slowed my progress. I'm at the point now where I'm really happy with the amount of weight I'm putting up (excercise wise), so it's time to tone!

14lbs is a great accomplishment, keep to it- we'll be the best looking people on our cruises! :D

Archived