Best Snorkeling or Excursions not to be missed

WeeCruiser

WeeCruiser, great islands, all of them! The Baths tour in Virgin Gorda is superb. It was a little dicey climbing through the stones, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to. The guides will take you to a gorgeous cove where you can swim - watch out for the strong currents, though. The scenery on the busride on the way there & back is PHENOMENAL. DO NOT forget the camera.

The Tortola excursion we took was the BVI snorkel adventure - you take a catamaran to Norman Island. This is by far the best snorkeling we've ever done, and we have snorkeled many islands in the Caribbean.

Guadeloupe (are you going to Iles des Saintes?) is small and walkable. I don't think they offer any organized tours (but I may be wrong?). There is an old fort high up on the hillside that we walked to - desert landscaping and iguanas everywhere - it was neat.

St. Bart's is gorgeous, too. Would love to go back there. We didn't do an organized tour but rather walked around town and had a drink at a local establishment.

Have a great time and report back when you return!

We will also be on the cruise embarking next Friday. My wife and have been told the Bath's should not be missed and the snorkeling is wonderful on several of the islands. I am not a big fan of the "official" shore excursions. We would be interested in setting up our own excursions. Any suggestions?

Azgkrudi, thanks for the terrific feedback. Best snorkeling in my life was in Tahiti, it was like snorkling with Nemo! We have been disappointed by snorkeling in the Bahamas so it will be interesting to see what the more southern caribbean has to offer. Think we will definitely be on that Cat to Norman Island.

I was told be other cruisers not on the board that any island is accessible by taxi and drivers are quite reliable about returning to pick you up.

L & M, and gmgrodne, see you on board!

Looking forward to seeing you both on board!

We, too, are looking forward to snorkelling on this cruise. We decided to reserve our excursions online and had already booked the BVI snorkel adventure and the trip to the Baths so it was great to read azgkrudi's comments and recommendations.

Just a few more days . . .!!!!

Azgkrudi, thanks for the terrific feedback. Best snorkeling in my life was in Tahiti, it was like snorkling with Nemo!

We will get to experience this on our Paul Gauguin cruise this June to the French Polynesians - I can't WAIT! I very much doubt the Norman Island snorkeling would top Tahiti, but it does have caves you can snorkel in & out of, so it's a bit unique. The catamaran also takes you to a small, uninhabited island on the way back - I forget the name of it - but the whole experience was very fun. There is a little bar/restaurant there and the locals are so very friendly.

Also, if you don't want to do tours organized through the ship, there is usually a local from each port who comes on board and is at the front desk for awhile to explain tours & activities you can do while in port. We did this in St. Kitts. And of course, you can always just disembark and find your own taxi. They are readily available!

I was on the PG at the end of June early July 2004!

Our ship was 2/3 full, so it felt like we had all the staff and amenities to ourselves. We were able to eat at the res only restaurant Episcious practically every night.

How long is your cruise? 7?

• 2 weeks later...

WeeCruiser, I'm watching for your return to hear about your excursions.

They now have the shore excursions posted for our April 5 cruise. I'm considering the Baths and also the BVI snorkel. Kristin, do these get you back in time for lunch?

I booked the Island Tour that takes you to the Baths for photos and other places.

Blackbird71 can seat on his veranda for hour watching the water, and is a scuba diver, BUT hates sandy beaches.... :p

Not much sand at the Baths, but the barracuda are very curious. :)

There is extremely good snorkeling on St. Barts also. We rent a car every visit and drive from beach to beach and have yet to visit all on our list.

Illes De Saint has good snorkeling within a 15 minute walk - beware the goats however if the beach is isolated - they sneak out when you hit the water -- cover ups, shoes, etc have been known to disappear!

FT

Debbie, for the most part, tours leave in the morning and if I remember correctly, you do get back in time for a late lunch. If not, you can always order room service which is, of course, served 24/7.

I remember our Bonaire sail & snorkel tour didn't leave until 3:00 - that was a first!

DebbieH,

I was so enamored with the bath water beaches that we simply passed on the excursions. However, here are my recommendations.

All of the islands were quite easy to get around without booking an excursion. We taxied to most beaches, and if you make friends the fare is cheaper.

We missed disembarking at Virgin Gorda due to a misfortunate reroute but took a ferry there from Tortola. If you tender to the island, one of the ferry services has safari type buses to the Baths for $5pp round trip. The driver drops you off and then asks when you liked to be picked up. Go EARLY and beat the excursion buses. We had the beach to ourselves until about 11am when a Princess cruise showed up. I recommend reef shoes for the beach and to walk through the Caves. We only got about half way so give yourself at least an extra hour for this - it is unusual and stunning.

We rented a car on St. Barth's and drove to Plage Saline. Rugged but awesome part of the coast line. Not for the faint of heart, if nude bathers make you uncomfortable. Use Budget, they had a car for us without a reservation about 75e. Eurocar did not show up. We then drove to the other side to Flamands. It's hard not to use the word stunning again. Tourquiose water you'd want to drink and not at all crowded even at lunch.

A $20 taxi one way to Nisbet beach does not disappoint either. A plantation hotel offers beach chairs that no one ever asked us to pay for. There is also a decent outdoor bar. The terrain of Nevis is beautiful with a cloud capped mountain that is the backdrop to the beach.

Isle des Saintes - we walked about 20-30 mins to Plage Pompierre. Palm tree lined with a wonderful walk to a secondary beach. Bring a bottle of champage! I didn't and regret it!

Dominica - this island is so verdant it grows watercress on the side of the road! We had a taxi driver named Ashton who was very knowledgeable about his island. We are big Hawaii lovers so exploring the island's environs really showed us what the caribbean has to offer without traveling so far west.

I am still reeling from this trip. Please aks me more questions! I will also refer to my video tape if my brain fails!

Hey L&M, did you see a gal with a large video camera?? That was me!

I asked many guests if they were cruise critic posters and never found you. Hope you enjoyed as much as Wee did!

Thanks for the wonderful tips. I think we will do the organized tours this time, but I would like to go back and do the type of things you are describing. We have done similar (our own thing) on a number of islands and had a ball. I do want to see how SS runs a tour, so will give these a try. We are signed up for The Baths and BVI snorkel. In Antigua, we are doing our own thing.

I'm pretty jazzed about the whole trip.

Archived