Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi BJ andMrsC,

As Mummsie said, there are not self service laundries onboard Gemini.

Yes, SSG will dock at Ocean Terminal near the Marco Polo.

I have not stayed at the Majestic Hotel, but have been there a few times. It's quite nice and convenient.

You can walk to Ocean Terminal. It is about 20 minute walk. But, if you are toting luggage, best to take a taxi.

Here is a link to the hotels location on Nathan Road.

Note that Ocean Terminal is at the bottom of the map.

It's really a pleasant walk.

http://www.majestichotel.com.hk/sitemap.htm

Regards,

Mike

hbellman hello,

Cabin 6011 is an CA category, which is the top category of outside cabins. The next step higher is a Junior Suite.

The CA cabins are definitely more spacious than the other outsides, and are in a very good location.

Inside versus outside. Well, this is not an easy question to answer as personal likes and dislikes play an important part.

If the saving of money is an issue, then take an inside.

While the inside cabins all have the same amenities as the outsides, they are dark. Having no window(s), naturally there is no natural light coming in. Some people feel perfectly fine in an inside.

I, for example, dislike insides, because I like to be able to know if it's night or day. I always wake up completely disoriented when I occupy an inside.

Some of my friends who travel with me book insides and they love it. Of course they are only in the cabin to shower, change clothes and sleep (very little;) ).

Really, insides are not bad at all. It is just a matter of personal preference. No matter which cabin you finally edecide on, you will love Gemini and feel comfortable in the cabin of your choice.

Hope all my above ramblings have helped you some.

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks mate, and Mummsie, you are most helpful as always, another question if I may.

We are doing the half cruise on the return leg of the cruise from Singapore – HK - Singapore, joining in HK, and the Gemini arrives at 0900 and is due to sail at 2100, given that this is for the Gemini a Port of Call, when do you recon they will allow us to board?:)

Given that one would expect that probably half of the passengers are on for the full cruise and given we will have to check out of our hotel by noon, do you think they would start embarkation for those doing the return leg then, surely we wouldn’t have to wait until later in the afternoon?:(

I mean even if we could check in our luggage and go shopping!:p

I know, I should be asking Star Cruises about this, but their representatives in Aus didn’t seem all that responsive, anyway any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Kindest Regards BJ and Mrs C

Hi BJ and Mrs C,

When Gemini calls at Hong Kong as part of a cruise, and arrives at 09:00am and sails at 21:00pm, embarkation will begin at 18:00pm and gates will close at 20:00pm.

I would suggest that you leave your luggage with the hotel concierge until you are ready to head to Ocean Terminal. Arriving at Ocean Terminal about 5:00pm would be ok. Please note, that there is no place to store luggage at OT, hence my recommendation to leave it with the hotel concierge.

Hope this helps in letting you plan your activities for that day.

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks again mate for the info, that’s a bit rough having to wait until that late for embarkation, why do you recon that is?:confused:

We will do as you suggested and check the luggage in at the Hotel and catch a bus out to the Stanley Markets for the day.;)

Regards, BJC

BJC hi,

It is normal practice for Star Cruises to begin embarkation 3 hours before the ship sails.

This gives the crew time to clean cabins and the ship in general. Also, it gives time to add/delete names to the immigration manifesto to comply with all governing laws.

Don't sweat it, just enjoy your day at Stanley Market, which is a really nice area.

Best,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike, you still out there?

It’s probably a bit late now that we have booked for May / June’07, however as you live in the area, so to speak, I thought you might be able to tell us when is the Cyclone / Typhoon season for the South China Sea, especially between HK and Singapore? :confused:

I know you have to take your chances no matter when you book, and I am sure that Star Cruises plan their cruises around the best weather conditions for the time of year and location, however I was just wondering?

Any Info much appreciated thanks mate.:)

Regards, BJC

Hi BJC,

Yup, I'm still out here, but have been busy lately.

Officially, the typhoon season is from May through November.

They can form out of nowhere and quite unexpectedly.

The Philippines, Taiwan and the southern Japanese Islands usually get the most typhoon activity.

Hong Kong does get typhoons as well.

As a matter of fact HK was just spared the most recent typhoon that turned and hit Vietnam.

Singapore does not however get typhoons.

Sailing the South China Sea during typhoon season is "luck of the draw."

The Star Pisces which sails ex-Hong Kong will change the customary itinerary and head in a direction where the seas will be smoother if a typhoon is near to Hong Kong.

Taiwan is a different matter. Typhoons usually hit Taiwan from the South and will cover the entire Island and the Naha, Okinawa Japan area. There is nowhere for a ship sailing ex-Keelung to go to. Therefore the cruise is cancelled and the ship stays at the safe port of Keelung.

Sure there is always the risk of your cruise being affected by a typhoon, but I never let that bother me. I just always hope for the best.

Your chances of having a great cruise in May/June are very high. Don't worry about it.

Best,

Mike

Hi Gemini Cruisers,

Hi Mike, if you are reading this, what is the situation with Laundry on the Gemini, does it have somewhere passengers can do their own washing, and not just your "smalls" in the hand basin but real washing, or do you have to use the ships service?:)

Any assistance much appreciated.

Regards, BJ & Mrs C

I just got off the Gemini last Sunday and remember seeing a note in the room about laundry service for Thursday night. It is a one time special at I believe something like 40% discount whatever that comes to.

Hi there Hbellman,

We like to stay down that end of town, and usually stay at the Swissotel Merchant Court, directly over the river from Clarke Quay, there is a foot bridge right outside the Hotels side door and the new MRT station is just out the front door.

If you stay there, get a room facing the river, it’s so nice to look out over all the goings on, on the river, and we did the same in the spar pool that is on the first level overlooking the river, you sit it there under the frangipani trees with a G&T and watch the world go by.:)

However on our post Cruise stopover this time we have booked, as part of a package deal, into the Grand Plaza Parkroyal Hotel just two blocks up the road from Clarke Quay, and next door to St Andrews Cathedral, and one block from the City Hall MRT.

It looks like a nice hotel and actually rates higher at 11 of 142, than the Merchant Court at 30 of 142, on the Trip Advisor Web Page.:)

We like to wander around, and to take the MRT when we go out so it’s a must to be close to a MRT Station, and both of these hotels are.

There is the Excelsior and the Peninsula Hotels just over the road from the Grand Plaza, we have stayed at the Excelsior, but it is a budget hotel with small rooms, you have to go out into the hall to change your mind!:p

Anyway there is something for you to look at, there are good maps available at a web page called streetditectory.com Singapore or something like that, Google it.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any other info.

Regards, BJC

hi,

we have booked acruise on the staits of Malacca at this time next year, can you tell me about the boat and what to expect also the weather and food etc, am so excited never been on a cruise before.

we have booked window on sixth deck

all info appreciated

hazel

I just got off the Gemini last Sunday and remember seeing a note in the room about laundry service for Thursday night. It is a one time special at I believe something like 40% discount whatever that comes to.

I have posted a question to you further down on the posts. I am new at this and did not include it in your message

sorry

hazel

Hi BJ and Mrs C,

We are currently planning a cruise on the Gemini departing Singapore May 20, 2007. We hope to do the full round trip. Tried to find the Roll Call page, but I'm new at this, so will keep looking. I think it's a great idea to 'meet' some fellow cruisers before departure.

Mike, your info so far has been very helpful, thanks.

Hi,

I see there has been much discussion regarding laundering of clothes on the Gemini. I don't have a problem washing out smalls and hanging them in our cabin, but I've never used a laundry service before. It might seem like a dumb question, but do you have to name tag the clothes you send to be washed??

Also, we will probably stay at the Parkroyal on Coleman St in Singapore pre-cruise. Any thoughts?

If the Gemini departs at 1800 hours, what time might boarding begin?

Thanks, Tracey. :p

Hi Tracey,

No questions are dumb! This is how we all learn.;)

No, there is no need to name tag your clothing if you do decide to send them to the ships laundry.

As was posted before, Gemini usually runs a "special" on laundry. For a fixed price, you can jam pack one of their laundry bags full. No piece charges or weight charges. Just one fixed price for the bag.

Star Cruises usually begins boarding 3 hours prior to departure. So in your case, boarding will begin at 3:00pm.

Sorry, I can't help you with any Park Royal hotel comments, but I am sure some of our other posters may be able to help.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Tracey,

You will note in my response to Hbellman above, we are also staying at the Grand Plaza Parkroyal in Coleman St, you must be using the same Package as we are.

Anyway while not having stayed there, it looks’ like it’s a nice hotel, based on the Trip Advisor rating, which over the years and hotels we have found to be very accurate, being based on the reviews of people who have stayed there and not just their PR machine.:)

As with most hotels we chose, it's more about location than fancy lobbies, gyms, spar’s and ball-rooms which we rarely use, as long as the beds are comfortable and the bathroom is decent, we would rather have the location.

Have you been to Singapore, do you know the area, if not e-mail me at BJC49@ Telstra.com, and I will give you some information?

Like Mike said, the only dumb question is the one not asked, so as for the business of the Laundry, is about if there were "public" washing facilities on the Gemini, some of the larger Cruise Ships have what can be described as a Laundromat, where you can wash and tumble dry your clothes, and do the ironing if you like, it’s still coin operated but cost a heap less, however Gemini does not have one.

They normally have lines in the cabins for the smalls, when we first went cruising we also tried to wash out t-shirts and shorts the same way to save a few $’s, but since then we just get it all done, having spent thousands on the holiday why try to save a few $’s and have all the hassles, so now we just pop it in the bag and it comes back the next day and the cost just gets added to the bill.;)

By the way your Cabin Stewards are very good at looking after your clothes, they check them out and back, and they normally end up little numbered tags on them, even you socks, anyway I wouldn’t worry!:)

Anyway hope your planned Cruise comes off and it is a special way to spend your 25th, I think we were on a cruise for our 30th, by the way we married young, :D anyway any other questions this is the place or you can e-mail me.

Regards, BJ and Mrs C.

can anyone recommend a good hotel in singapore for pre and post cruise accomodation I was thinking somewhere around clarke quey but any suggestions thanks:o

First time in Singapore we stayed at the York Hotel which is about a 5 minute walk from Orchard Road. Last time we stayed at the Phoenix on Orchard Road and it was fantastic. They have a cafe downstairs that sells sandwiches cheap which we used to have for lunch. The rooms were very nice and they have those massage chairs in all rooms - it was a godsend after spending hours walking around Singapore. We would definately stay there again. We booked online and got very good rates which included breakfast :D They also use a smart card system so that your room key can also be used on the MRT which made it very convenient. :D Gayle

We have stayed at the Marina Mandarin and the Carlton in Singapore and for location etc. I would recommend the Carlton over the M. Mandarin. The M. Mandarin was a lot more expensive and consequently a lot more impersonal and also quite a bit out of the way.

The Carlton is on Bras Basah Road right at the end of Orchard Road and directly behind the Raffles. We walked to Little India, Chinatown, Clarke Quay, Boat Quay and Orchard Road easily. The MRT station is just behind Raffles Plaza over the road and there is also Chijmes for a quiet drink or light meal as well as a good coffee shop/cafe within the hotel. It is not a 5 * hotel, catering mainly to business people and tourists but the location is just so handy to everything.

Singapore is very easy to get around in, so as long as you choose a hotel that is fairly central you can't go wrong.

Hi all,

Hope I am not late or reiterating previous comments.

Oriental Hotel is the best breakfast ever seen whilst overseas and it is reasonably priced for quality accommodation approx 218au per night incl bf.

Also stayed at Conrad Hilton which was very good room wise just a little dearer.

My recommendation is definitely Oriental - you wont be dissapointed.

Regards

Simon