Looking to snorkeling excursion in Grand Cayman or Costa Maya

kcooke315

I'm traveling with a group who have varying skill and comfort in the water. Specifically, we are looking to book a snorkeling excursion in either George Town, Grand Cayman or Costa Maya, Mexico (in mid April of this year).

Looking for any first-hand feedback on the following. Specifically, would love details on the tour overall, feedback on provided equipment, depth of water, boat, etc...  Any feedback that would help differentiate and/or omit some of these would help.  We are considering:

• Catamaran Sail & Snorkel (George Town - GCC6)
  • Grand Cayman Snorkel (George Town - GCM3)
  • Sunken Ship And Snorkel (George Town - GCZ5)
  • Nautilus Undersea And Reef Snorkel (George Town - GCZ6)
  • Reef And Wreck Snorkel (George Town - GC33)
  • Catamaran Sail & Snorkel (Costa Maya - CM47)
  • Beach Snorkel (Costa Maya - CM36)

THANKS is advance. 

Generally, the "and snorkel" parts are always in the same place.

If you are really interested in snorkelling and not the other part, you might be better to ask in the ports of call area for the appropriate ports about what is available privately.

1 minute ago, TBone2K said:

Generally, the "and snorkel" parts are always in the same place.

If you are really interested in snorkelling and not the other part, you might be better to ask in the ports of call area for the appropriate ports about what is available privately.

I would be with you on this... That said, a few of the folks in my party are very interested in the vetted offerings the cruise provides. Rather than rock that boat, I am looking for feedback on the specific cruise excursions (as 'off the menu' is not an option for me, unfortunately).

As far as generalities go, the beach snorkel in Costa Maya is a guided snorkel.  Advantage is that reef is very close to shore.  Disadvantage is rocky and weedy and kind of junky area (although a sandy beach is never good for snorkeling).  Guided snorkel trip means you have to keep up with the guide.  Anything in GC is better snorkeling - clearer water and more fish.

Smaller boats are generally better, although newbies can have a lot of problems getting on and off the boat.  We like cats but have been whacked more than a few times in the shin by the stairs.  Cats tend to have fewer passengers so newbies get more attention from staff.

In GC pretty much any of the excursions would be fine, although several you listed are outside the island.  Good snorkeling but more waves to cope with.  Recommend any of the rays/snorkel trips the cruise line offers since these are pretty much all inside the reef and much calmer water.  Advantage in GC is that tours get priority tendering to shore.  RCI does use an operator in GC that takes two busloads of people on a really large cat (it is more like a ferry than a cat) that works well.  Easy to enter water, lots of space to spread out and great staff.  This is GC88 Stingray and Barrier Reef Snorkel.  Liked it so much we have now gone twice.

Edited by LeeW
spelling

18 hours ago, Lovetotraveltami said:

Lee W thank you!  We are doing a similar trip and wondering about Grand Cayman.  I am mobile but need something that is easy to enter due to a leg injury.

The easiest water entry ever is that big yellow boat, but I think it only goes to the rays and doesn't do snorkeling.  The full width of the back of the ship cranks down about 4' into the water. 

GC88 has two sets of double stairs and is much better than most cats.  If you really have a problem, though, you just turn around and the crew will pull you into a sitting position on the steps.  Cats tend to bob around a lot and the stairs aren't very far in the water.  Stingrays are kind of like big kittens, but newbies tend to freak out a bit.  Pictures from GC88 a few years back

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0014.JPG

Cant speak to any specific excursions offered, but agree that the snorkeling will be better on Cayman.  Also strongly suggest you not miss Stingray City, so I'd look for the excursion that does both.  We were on Cayman for a month in December and January, and did a commercial trip that also hit two nice reef locations to snorkel.  They were very close to Stingray City, so it was a very efficient trip.

Edited by grinningimm