When should I book our airfare for our August cruise to Alaska?

igitur

I know it's a bit of a ways off, but I'm thinking that I should go ahead and book our airfare for our August Alaskan cruise, departing from Seattle. I know that I'd like to get a flight out the day before and a later flight home to Detroit on the day we disembark and I know that I want nonstop on NWA.

I'm going to be using WP miles for one ticket, Traveler miles for two other tickets, and paying out of pocket for the 4th ticket (about $414.)

Knowing all of that, should I just go ahead and book? My husband thinks it's too early but I'm a planner and I like to have things all set.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Deb

If you can get them now, definitely book them now!

Air travel to/from Alaska is different than in the lower 48, there are far fewer options. We generally book our tickets as early as possible, usually 10-11 months out, so that we can get exactly what we want at a reasonable price. I've never seen the prices drop as you get closer, they only seem to go up.

You truly may have waited too long to try to get three miles tickets on one plane.

You may have to look at alternate days (2 or 3 days earlier, not just one-1 day later), alternate airports, or 2 flights with 2 people on each.

FF tickets are even more limited this year, with more people cashing in miles and limited FF seats. The airlines are selling more seats and have NO incentive to open up more free ticket seats. And you are trying to get to a VERY popular area at peak season.

Good Luck!!!

I booked our tickets on Alaskan Airlines in Feb. 04 for a July cruise. My spouse also thought it was too early, but I was mostly concerned about getting the return time that I wanted along with a good price. So glad I planned early, as stated by someone else, the prices did not go down but up. If you are flying out of SEA-TAC be prepared for long lines.

Archived