El Morro kites?

colgal77

How much are the kites from the vendors outside of El Morro?  I have tried to find this info online but all I can find is that there are vendors.  Trying to figure out if I should purchase some on amazon and bring them along or buy them there.  Luggage space is not an issue since we are driving to embarkation port so we can easily bring them if needed.

8 hours ago, colgal77 said:

How much are the kites from the vendors outside of El Morro?  I have tried to find this info online but all I can find is that there are vendors.  Trying to figure out if I should purchase some on amazon and bring them along or buy them there.  Luggage space is not an issue since we are driving to embarkation port so we can easily bring them if needed.

IIRC, the cheapest are about $10 total.

Even so, I bought my own kite- a tiny pocket kite that is easy to travel with- which was slightly less than that, and I can take it anywhere.  It does not fly as high as the larger ones, but it's pretty nice to have when you are on a beach with a good wind (we used it in Aruba later on one trip to San Juan).  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 9:55 AM, pyropoodle said:

also, I believe there is a CVS at the port that sells them, so probably cheaper than the ones at the fort as well.

The CVS was crazy busy when I was there a few weeks ago. There were four ships in port and it seemed like half the people on the ships were waiting to be checked out at CVS. 😉 I popped in and walked right back out. So if it's really busy it might be more worth it to buy at the fort. We didn't have that much time there and I didn't want to waste 30 minutes waiting in line. Maybe I just hit it at a busy time. 

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from San Juan. We walked to the area from the ship, and just sat on the lawn watching all the people flying kites. It was breezy and beautiful. And then some people approached us, did we want their kites - they were leaving and didn't need them anymore. So, we had surprise kite-flying-fun, and it was great. And when my kids were done flying kites, they passed them along to other people who were just watching the fun. (PS the kites were like the plastic ones with cartoon characters on them that you can usually get inexpensively every spring in most stores)

I don't know what the last people with the kites did at the end of the day; I did see one of the plaques about the area talking about how there was a lot of plastic and string litter left on the field due to all the kite-flying, and how it has hurt the environment.

I actually didn't even see any vendors selling any kites.