Princess Cruises | Royal Princess | 3/23/2019

brianlc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave and Mark!

I’m getting excited!  Only 18 more days!

I’m assuming there will be a mixer as well.  Princess usually has them.

Have you been on this ship before?  Been on this itinerary before?

This will be my 5th cruise on Princess, 3rd time on this itinerary, first time traveling alone.

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Well, this will be my 11TH cruise on Princess and my 5TH Mexican Riviera cruise.  However, this will be my first time on the Royal Princess.  I chose this itinerary (again) just for the ship.  Booked a deluxe balcony cabin in the aft section of the ship.  

Dave  

This will also be my 5th Princess cruise although it won't "count" because I am sailing on a Friends and Family (my buddy works for Holland/Princess). I did this itinerary in 2016, Alaska in 2005 and 2015, and a coastal in 2011. I've only been on the Sapphire and the Ruby so it will be nice to be on a new (to me) ship. It will be my roommate's first ever cruise. 

We are celebrating the 30th anniversary of my friends. There are thirteen total in our party (three gay couples, my roommate and me, and several family members of the anniversary couple). 

Mark

22 hours ago, californiadave said:

Booked a deluxe balcony cabin in the aft section of the ship.  

I booked a balcony as well but took an upgrade to a mini-suite... I hope I hate the mini-suite so that I’ll be satisfied with just a balcony cabin on future cruises. 🙂

Any plans to do anything in particular at the ports?  I’m not planning anything in particular for Mazatlán or Pureto Vallarta, but am considering an excursion in Cabo (possibly the Hotel California and Todos Santos tour).

Are you So Cal locals or where are you traveling from?  I live here in the Long Beach area.

-Brian

Hey Brian,
I'm doing the Dolphin Swim at San José del Cabo from 12pm-3pm.  The other excursions I "thought" about doing were already full.  :classic_wacko:  Probably will visit
Blue Chairs in PV for relaxing time on the beach.  Nothing else set in stone... yet.

Dave

Just an FYI:  The U.S. State Department  (travel advisory from November 2018)

Sinaloa state – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime.

Violent crime is widespread. Criminal organizations are based and operating in Sinaloa state.

Travel for U.S. government employees is limited to the following areas with the noted restrictions:

·         Mazatlan: U.S. government employees may travel by air or sea only. U.S. government employees are limited to the Zona Dorada and historic town center, and must use direct routes when traveling to and from those locations and the airport and cruise terminals.

Well guys, not a lot of activity on this roll call with just days left until boarding.  Are you guys planning to do formal nights?  Trying to decide if I should even pack a suit.  I guy in a suit dining alone is just sad. :classic_unsure:  But, I'm keeping my hopes up that there will be more gaytivity on board.

I did purchase the Premier Beverage Package today.  So, if you see me crying into my Martini somewhere on the ship, stop and say "Hello." 

Dave

Yes, hopefully we will have a good turnout at Friends of Dorothy who aren't on Cruise Critic. I think my group will be dining together most nights but with 13 of us, I don't think they will be able to fit us all at one table. Looking forward to meeting you both.

Mark

PS: Gin or Vodka martinis? I'm gin. 

Not much of a martini person but I do love a good bottle of wine. 

I got the premium beverage package free when I booked this cruise (almost 2 years ago, i think!). I’ll try to get full use of the beverage package (i think the limit is 14 per day?) but i doubt I’ll make it that far. I get too loud when I drink and lose what few filters I have. 

I’m planning on packing something nice for formal nights, so you won’t have to dine alone. 

5 days to go! 

-B

The limit is 15 alcoholic drinks per day :classic_blink:.  But, the package includes bottled water, fountain sodas, fresh juices , specialty coffees and teas, Gong Cha items, Frappés at Coffee & Cones and Red Bull energy drinks.  Apparently, they do NOT offer milkshakes on the Royal. :classic_angry:

Okay then, I'll pack a suit or at least a navy blazer.  

I tried to have 15 alcoholic beverages per day on my last cruise so I could really make the most of the free package, but my traveling companions cut me off after 3 or so on the first day and limited me to 2 on subsequent days.  (I guess because of the aforementioned issue with my increased volume and lack of filters when I drink.)

I notice they aren’t offering it for free on bookings any longer, but for as much as I drink, maybe the onboard credit and free gratuities is just as good.

I have one more cruise with the free beverage package.  That’ll be for LA to Hawaii Cruise in March 2020.

5 more days.  Woo hoo!