Panama Canal Excursion thoughts for 12/3-18 trip

CarolandNate

We are going on Emerald  Princess for our trip eastbound through the Panama Canal in December, 2019.  

We have decided to do everything through the ship.  We have identified that in certain ports of call, there is one thing that we consider must see, that we would disappointed if we were to miss that.  In a number of them, there are limited options, so we feel we should book in advance.  There are a couple that we figure we can wing it and book on the ship, because there are many options.  Any advice is welcome.

Must see or do

Puerto Vallarta-  We want to do a beach and PV is big on that.  The Las Caletas getaway looks to be the best option given that we want to get there and be free to do a lot of things while we are there.  It's four hours of  beach, food, hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, did I mention food, and no hopping from place to place.  That is a lock in as far as I am concerned

Puntarenas-  Rainforest is what I see for Costa Rica.  Rainforest, Tram, TarcolesRiver crocodile cruise looks to be more bang for the buck.  It's not cheap and there is one for about $25 less, that does not do the crocs.

Fuerte Amador-  Not overly interested in seeing the locks from land and since we will be doing the transit the next day, I want to avoid redundancy.  People keep mentioning the Embera Indians as a highlight of their trip.  I'm sold.

Book from ship

Huatulco-  City/Countryside, bay cruises appear to be the highlight here, but there are lots of options.  For this we will chance it.  Any advice from those who have been there would be welcome.

Cartagena-  It's the city and there a re a lot of options, including some hop on hop off.  I don't anticipate being shut out of all of them.  Again advice welcome

Book ahead, but need advice

San JuandelSur-  Nicaragua and Volcanoes.  That's what we want.  There are three that visit Masaya volcano, have lunch, are the same price and have what appear to be minor differences.  I would like to hear from people who have been to them.

Masaya Volcano & Hacienda Los Altos Cultural Experience  45 minutes at volcano and cultural trip to a farm with lunch for 2 hours 7 1/2 hours total.

Granada, Masaya Market, Volcano, Lunch and shopping.   Hour at volcano, hour and a half in Granada with lunch;  hour or so at Masaya Market.  8 1/2 hours total

Nature experience, Masaya Volcano, Apoyo Lagoon and Granada.  1:15 at Masayavolcano; brief visit to Lagoon; see Mombacho from distance; hour and a half in Granada with lunch.  8 1/4 hours total.

• 7 months later...
On 2/23/2019 at 1:38 PM, CarolandNate said:

Book from ship 

Huatulco-  City/Countryside, bay cruises appear to be the highlight here, but there are lots of options.  For this we will chance it.  Any advice from those who have been there would be welcome.  No need to book from the ship unless you feel you need to. My friend, and my daughter with Down Syndrome booked with  Huatulco Tours Enrique. He will set a tour to exactly what you would like. I set this tour up for my family of 3. I then offered it to other shipmates before we cruised. Everyone had a wonderful time. I would book with him again. We did the city tour and Got some great pictures. He is very passionate about his home. And very prideful of his country. He is very reasonable as well. He did not charge more or less no matter how many we had. He would of took just us 3 if no one else was interested. You pay him when you meet up. 

Cartagena-  It's the city and there a re a lot of options, including some hop on hop off.  I don't anticipate being shut out of all of them.  Again advice welcome . I have a good friend that I met when we had an emergency in Columbia. That's another story for another day hah. Anyways, I posted where you can do the tour yourself. It is very safe. Again my daughter, and friend did this on our own. We hailed a cab and agreed on the price before we ever got into the cab. I will see if I can find the whole letter and post it for you. Enjoy your trip. We are heading out of Fort Lauderdale in Dec to do a partial this time of the Canal. Looking forward to it.

Found it... Here you go.....

On 2/23/2019 at 1:38 PM, CarolandNate said:

Edited by lillulu