Self-Debarkation

STLcruiser

STLcruiser - we have done self-assist the last 5 cruises. We like it because we drive to the FL ports and want to be able to get home in one day so getting off earlier is MUCH better.

You are correct, you do not put your luggage out - you simply keep it and carry it off. Self-assist are the first folks off the ship. On the Glory and Celebration, this was around 7:30/8:00. On the Liberty last week, it was at 6:30.

Be advised that at some ports, they do not always have taxi's available when self-assist get off the ship because it is so early. That was the case last week in Port Everglades. The taxi's show up at Liberty's pier around 8:15 so you will just be left standing out in the cold morning if you don't have a cab company's # and a cell phone. The Liberty didn't start general debarkation until 8:30.

I like self-assist not only because you are able to leave so much earlier, but also because you don't have to hunt your luggage in the warehouse and the lines through customs are much shorter (or non-existant).

I highly recommend taking the elevator down to ground level once you get into the terminal after leaving the ship. I've seen more than a few folks stumble on the escalator as they try to handle their luggage. The terminal reps will direct you towards the escalator - if you just ask, they will point you to the elevator.

You know, jleq, we were just talking about that. We have always had a one-hour window on the Glory & Celebration but the Liberty actually gave 2 hours (6:30 - 8:30). Wonder if it was because we were in port so early...hmmm. Also, I don't know if the ship usually gets in that early or if it was just because we missed Nassau the day before due to weather and were able to port earlier than "normal".

You also have to be able to carry all of your own luggage if you do self-assist. This might seem like an easy task, but when you take into account suitcases, carry-ons, liquor boxes, etc, you sometimes realize too late that you have quite a bit more to carry off the ship than you anticipated.

Sailing on the Liberty in a couple of weeks and was thinking of doing the self disembarkation as my flight is at 11:50am. If the cabs are not available at the early time can I use a Carnival transfer? Or do the buses start later also?

I'm traveling alone but would be willing to pay the cab fare, but don't have a cell phone to contact one if they are not lined up.

What if I got off early and then just caught the first bus when they start running? I really don't mind waiting a bit but would like to beat the rush to the airport if possible.

Doug

Hey, Doug!

Nope - no buses either. The "mass transportation" shows up within a few minutes of the general debark time.

A couple suggestions... perhaps you could call a cab company prior to your cruise and tell them you will need a cab early - maybe pick an in-between time like 7:30 that will allow for a later debark time but still early. And, the cab company may be able to check with the port to see when self-assist is scheduled. Your idea of getting off self-assist and being one of the first folks on the bus is a good idea. You will know the day before when the self-assist times will be so if you get a 2-hour window, you will know that you don't have to be off in the first 5 minutes...but I wouldn't wait much longer than 45 minutes before the last self-assist time because it does get crowded in the halls, etc. despite the crew's best effort to keep passageways clear. The other possibility - and I don't know if this will work or not - is that one of the security or port people outside the customs area might be able to call a cab for you (for a tip, of course).

I think that everyone just assumes the self-assist folks either have their own car at the pier or are having someone pick them up. There was a family who got off when we did on Sunday thinking they could catch a cab to the airport early. They were really upset when there were no cabs.

Have a great cruise. The Liberty is a beautiful ship.

Please post a review when you get back. I'd like to hear your thoughts comparing the Liberty to Princess. I see you've done a lot of Princess. I'm booked on the Island Princess (Hawaii) and would love to hear a comparison Liberty to Princess (to Island Princess, even better!) when you return. Thanks!

DougH

Just got off Liberty last week. Our flight was 11:30 am. We were off the ship in regular disemarkation by 9:00 am and in line at airport security at FLL by 9:30 am. Probably don't need self-assist if your flight is 11:50 am. At the disembarkation talk on the ship two days before we got back to Port Everglades, Brent Mitchell (CD) said the week before all passengers were off the ship by 10:20 am.

Each cruise may be different as it depends on when customs clears the ship, but in our case last week, they said the day before that self-assist was going to start around 7:30 am, but the first announcement for self-assist was about 6:40 am or so. The last announcment on board for self-assist was around 7:20 am. By 7:40 am those who had proof of early departure (before noon from FLL or before 1 pm from MIA) could get off the ship. Maybe a half hour later regular decks were being called already. If the ship were to clear customs as early as ours did, I think even if you were the last person off the ship, you would be at FLL by 10:45 am.

For those who need a taxi (like us) as Port Everglades, just walk outside of the drop-off/pick-up area since there are so many buses there. The taxis were waiting just outside the gate on the side of the parking garage area. Jump in and you're off to the airport. Again, this was 9 am, don't know about other earlier hours. Not sure why someone would need to be at the airport 7-8 am for a flight after 11 though. Just enjoy the last few hours on the ship while you can.

Mr saging...I heard the CD say that the last passenger was off by 10:20 but that wasn't the case. I watched passengers leaving after that time. I would bet that the majority of passengers were off by that time but definitely not all. The only reason I bring it up is that I've been on other ships that decks were still being called at 10:30 and you never know when something like that will/can occur.

Also - I noticed that you sailed on the Emerald Seas. That was my first cruise. I think it was '75 or '76 when we sailed her. If I remember correctly, I was 11 at the time. I remember being wow-ed by the ship. Imagine how small she must look today! Started a lifelong addiction!!

The Emerald Seas has had around 11 different names. According to February 2006 issue of Cruise Travel magazine it was sold in December 2004 to Indian shipbreakers to be torn apart and sold as scrap metal. It was just under 19,000 grt - yes, pretty small compared to most of the 100,000+ grt ships today. Same fate for the Festivale in June 2003. The Jubilee still sails under a different name (Pacific Sun) for the P&O brand in Australia. Same with the Tropicale.

Wow! Thanks for the info, Mr Saging! I'm sitting here laughing...19,000 grt...I think the yacht off the starboard side of the Liberty while we were in Tortola last week was bigger than that! (Did you see the yacht? Seven Sins. Wouldn't have minded counting her in my personal property inventory!)

Amazing how ships have changed. I realized that recently when we cruised the Celebration again. We had sailed her on her inaugural cruise and again shortly after that. She was big back then. More than a decade later, we took her again (this past April). I couldn't get over how small the elevators were. I think that 4 people were the limit! Heaven knows how they move luggage on that ship.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've really never had a problem getting to the FLL airport before but have heard the horror stories about some Carnival disembarkations. As this is my first try at Carnival figured I would rather be safe than sorry. Guess I'll see what they say about times once aboard, best option I think is to be the last off at self disembark then catch the Carnival bus transfer.

Doug

Wow! Thanks for the info, Mr Saging! I'm sitting here laughing...19,000 grt...I think the yacht off the starboard side of the Liberty while we were in Tortola last week was bigger than that! (Did you see the yacht? Seven Sins. Wouldn't have minded counting her in my personal property inventory!)

Amazing how ships have changed. I realized that recently when we cruised the Celebration again. We had sailed her on her inaugural cruise and again shortly after that. She was big back then. More than a decade later, we took her again (this past April). I couldn't get over how small the elevators were. I think that 4 people were the limit! Heaven knows how they move luggage on that ship.

I still prefer the small ships. Never been on one over 7500 tons. Elation in May will be intersting. I am sure it will feel like I am on dry land, since that thing is so big.

Zqvol I'm with you. I prefer the smaller ships. My 1st cruise was also on Celebration back in '90 and I loved it. Of course part of it may be that I was just in awe of being on a cruise but after being on RC Explorer of the Seas 2 yrs ago I prefer the smaller ships. Maybe I'll just have to keep switching back and forth between the 2 sizes until I can make a really educated opinion... that's as good an excuse as any I figure on why I should keep cruisin'.

What if your flight is at 1:00 p.m.? This is AirTran if that matters. Got off at Miami last week and the lines in the airport were unbelievable. Is Fort Lauderdale better? It sounds like if you do self disembark you have to get off really early and can't have a leisurely breakfast. If you wait you are going to have to search for your bags in a sea of luggage. In Miami we had a late flight and just waited to the end to get off. We were at the airport before noon but this wouldn't have worked for a 1:00 flight.

deb380 - a Carnival transfer is a ticket issued by Carnival for transportation to/from the ship. If you book your air through Carnival, they are included in the cost. If you book your own air but would still like to take a bus chartered by Carnival instead of a taxi, you can purchase the transfers separately. I don't know what they run right now - I haven't used them in years. They were $25/person at that time (that was for round-trip).

The airport in FLL is only 10 mins MAX from the pier. However, I've read some horror stories about long lines of cars and buses so that could potentially add a bit more to the meter as you sat in traffic. If you get into FLL early - like before 11:00, you will be fine. Any time later and you will probably hit more traffic.

If I had a choice, I'd opt for the taxi. I think it is a much easier choice. (just the logisitics - you are alone, you only have to wait for your bags, in and out quicker, etc)

Enjoy!

deb380 - . I don't know what they run right now - I haven't used them in years. They were $25/person at that time (that was for round-trip).

That's still about the price between FLL port/FLL airport

Our flight is at 12:50 from FLL - we're sailing on the Triumph out of Miami. Any suggestions? I'd rather not get to the airport too early - a nice breakfast first would be great. Will we have time to do the regular debarkation? Can we just keep our luggage with us and get off the ship whenever?

Archived