Brighton area? Leaving from Southampton

My husband's family allegedly originates from Brighton or that area.  We have roughly 4 days and while we would like to do some genealogy research there, I am not sure we want to stay there.  I think we would prefer a small classic English town but somewhere close where we could get back and forth easily.  We will have a car, and don't mind driving a bit.  Any suggestions?

Can I suggest Steyning or Hurstpierpoint, both attractive villages, both within a 30-minute drive.

Or further out at 45 minutes, more-attractive Arundel. If you are sailing to/from Southampton, that's 45 minutes in the right direction. 

At 60 minutes out the little picture-postcard town of Petworth.

Or if those are too far out, the historic town of Lewes is much bigger and only 20 minutes out. But do check parking arrangements at or near your chosen lodgings.

Those are all inland in the Sussex countryside - if you don't fancy Brighton itself you won't be happy with the built-up resorts and consequently-crowded roads along the coast. Places like Worthing or Lancing.

Shoreham / Portslade are industrial ports conjoined into the Brighton & Hove conurbation.

Newhaven is an industrial and ferry port.

Peacehaven is rather bland.

If you feel you must be by the sea, probably Saltdean / Rottingdean is your best bet - but they're not as historic or attractive as the towns & villages inland. 

But as a rider, there are doubtless little hidden gems tucked away in a quiet corner of those places along the coast.

Wherever you stay, the area has lots to offer.

Do check out  Brighton's promenade & pier (popular for day-trippers from London, with its kiss-me-quick hats etc) and "The Lanes" - a maze of little streets and shops.

Do find the time to drive east along the coast to the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head, and west to Arundel with its restored castle, cathedral and antique shops - and lunch at the Black Rabbit on the bank of the River Arun.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

I'd also recommend Alfriston, about half an hour's drive from Brighton. It is one of the oldest villages in Sussex and so has loads of historic buildings and lovely gardens. However, it is east of Brighton so if you want it more towards Southampton, then I'd personally go for Arundel. Love that place!

If you do decide on Arundel, and I recommend it, you could do worse than the St Mary's Gate Inn. http://stmarysgate.co.uk/. We stayed there a few years ago and splashed out on the room with a four-poster bed and a view of the Castle grounds. I gave it five stars on TA.