Curious about self-excursions in Cozumel & Progreso, Mexico

bigfern

My group will be taking the Elation on Feb. 11, 2006, and would like to know some information, i.e. location, price, activities, extras, etc., for our stops in Cozumel & Progreso, Mexico. I was planning to go to Chankannab Park in Cozumel, but I understand it is still closed. Also, I've heard the beach(es) in Progreso have raw sewage running from them, so I'm leary of a beach excursion there.

We're traveling with a 4-yr-old, a couple of teens, and some late teens/early twenties, young people. I would really love to snorkel in Cozumel, but the cruise excursions have a minimum age requirement that my daughter doesn't meet. Can anyone suggest a good beach to snorkel from, but that has beach activities, plus food and drinks available? Oh, and facilities?

As far as activities in Progreso, I have never been there and am open to almost anything.

I am an experienced cruiser, but I am traveling with several that have never cruised before (imagine that!).

Any suggestions? :)

I just got off the Elation on Saturday - you are going to have a great cruise!

Here's a link to my review and photos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=282262

In Progresso, Corona Beach is about 2 blocks from where they drop you off on the shuttle. While it is not as nice as the beaches in Cozumel, there's definitely not raw sewage on the beaches. We walked around the beach area in Progresso before taking a bus tour to Merida City -- it was really neat - but I don't think a small child would enjoy it.

In Cozumel, we went to Paradise Beach. An experience everyone must try!! For $8 you can get a wristband to use the water toys - water trampoline, inflated iceberg, kayaks. Also, there is a catamaran at the pier on Paradise Beach, that for $35 will take you out snorkeling to a couple of good spots!

I hope this helps! :)

I've been to Progreso several times and have never seen sewage. However, like anywhere, after a hurricane or tropical storm, sewers can get overloaded.

Merida is a beautiful Spanish colonial city that does not depend on tourism for it's existance. It's the state capitol and home to four universities.

Check out the Ports of Call Board. Also check out http://www.yucatantoday.com for more information. This is the real Mexico and not at all like Cancun or Cozumel or Texmex border towns.

We went to Dzibichaltun while in Progresso on the Elation (what room are you in, btw?), I have a link in my signature with some photos of Progresso and Dzibichaltun. We took a cab to Dzibichaltun after walking around Progresso for a couple of hours. The cab driver would stay for 2 hours, and it only cost $40 for 4 of us. Much cheaper than through the ship. Unfortunately we were switching from a digital camera to a print camera, and can't find the print camera, so there may be holes, sorry!

Cozumel we went to Playa Mia, nice but nothing compared to what I heard about Paradise Beach. We were supposed to go to Coz with the Liberty, but have been switched to Costa Maya instead. Had we gone to Coz, I would certainly have done PB. :)

Definetly check out the Ports of Call Message Boards!

In Cozumel Paradise Beach sounds like it would meet your needs the best. It is WONDERFUL!! The snorkeling is not so great but they do offer it from the beach. They also have kayaks, floats, water trampoline, in water climbing "iceberg" all for a very small fee. There are other pay extra options such as bananna boats, henna tatoos, hair braiding, massages etc. Some of the activities (i.e snorkel gear and kayak) require that you give a CC for them to hold until you return the equipment so please not that they do not accept Amex...;) The food there is also very good and well priced and the service was lovely.

In Cozumel the good places to snorkel are NOT from the same areas that make a nice beach setting so it is hard to get it all in one place. Playa Palancar has a dive shop on site which you can use to hire a boat that takes you out a bit to snorkel BUT you wont have the "fun toys" that are available at Paradise beach.

You can really find a lot if info about Paradise Beach on the aforementioned board and Paradise Tom - the manager of the beach - posts frequently and answers questions. If I were going with your particular group this is definetly where I would go - even before Wilma! Both my DD (12 at the time) and myself had a wonderful day there in April 2005!

Okay I have been to Progreso twice and to Cozumel several times...Here's my take on it...I never had a planned excursion in Coz, you can hop a cab to a beach or downtown and fill the day up without a problem.

Progreso requires research and planning, though. My first experience there, I decided I wanted to do the "beach" thing through Carnival. They have an excursion to Corona Beach. That was a big disappointment to me. I could have gotten to that beach without paying for the excursion. Of course I had no idea of this when I booked it. When we got to the beach it smelled so awful! There was some kind of sludge on the beach and I don't know if it was sewage, but it smelled like the wastewater treatment facility we have here where I live. Carnival gave us our money back for that one because so many people complained.

The second time the area near the water was less stinky and there was no sludge on the beach. I didn't opt to hang around town this time. I went to Uxmal (Mayan ruins) and it was AMAZING! It was a Carnival excursion because I was scared to book independently due to the short time in port and the time it takes to get to the site. It's supposed to be a little closer than Chichen Itza but no less impressive. If I had done this the first time I know my whole impression of the area would have been different. I wouldn't mind going back again because now I know what it takes to have a positive experience at this port. Planning is key!

In both places, my wife and I rented a car and did our own tours. I consulted our local library and did some research (Fodor's book). We had no problems, saved money, and saw ruins, merida, and the beach in progresso. In cozumel we rented a convertable bug, it's pretty small place so could probably get away with cab (we had to cab to town anyways). HOwever my wifes favorite memory was cruising in our little bug, top down, while sipping Corona (passenger only).

We booked the Nachi Cocom Beach Break in Cozumel through cozumelcruiseexcursions.com last April. It was really nice & not very crowded. All inclusive...food...drinks..etc. The bus picks you up at the pier & takes you back whenever you are ready to go.

Thanks to all for your responses! They've been so helpful!

I guess Paradise Beach is in our future at Coz! It sounds like a great deal, plus there are so many options for everyone in our group.

As far as Progreso goes, we'll "wing" it, I guess. I'm leaning towards a ruins tour, but still need suggestions for the "most bang for my buck" ruins tour.

Also, I want to give a nod to Queen V. (hehe)

We booked the Nachi Cocom Beach Break in Cozumel through cozumelcruiseexcursions.com last April. It was really nice & not very crowded. All inclusive...food...drinks..etc. The bus picks you up at the pier & takes you back whenever you are ready to go.

That sounded like just what I was looking for, but I just checked and that excursion is closed because of the hurricane. I'm in search of a beach day that's not all families with kids.

...As far as Progreso goes, we'll "wing" it, I guess. I'm leaning towards a ruins tour, but still need suggestions for the "most bang for my buck" ruins tour...

The Uxmal tour cost me a little more than $70 per person from the ship. You can go to Dzibilchaltun (smaller but closer to the ship) for far less. Just research so you aren't disappointed. I wish I'd had someone to tell me that the first time I went to Progreso!

I guess Paradise Beach is in our future at Coz! It sounds like a great deal, plus there are so many options for everyone in our group.

bigfern:

I posted a review of our day in Cozumel including Paradise Beach. You can click here to read the review (Has links to pictures too).

The Uxmal tour cost me a little more than $70 per person from the ship. You can go to Dzibilchaltun (smaller but closer to the ship) for far less. Just research so you aren't disappointed. I wish I'd had someone to tell me that the first time I went to Progreso!

I know that when we got back from Progresso, several people said a lot of the ruins at Dzibilchaltun were closed because they were working on restoring them and such. A lot of people said they wouldn't have done the tour if they'd known this ahead of time. Just an FYI!!! :)

Hi bigfern,

Check out my review of our trip to Merida posted on the Progresso/Merida Forum. We booked an english-speaking guide including an air-conditioned van with driver at the market where the shuttle bus from the ship drops you off. Cost us $95 for 4 persons for a half-day tour. I am sure that you could include a side trip to the ruins at Dzibilchltun for not much more.

Archived