Book of Kells ticket timing.

cfly

I will be on Crown Princess on Monday July 15 and it arrives at 11am. Disembarking starts at 11:30. If I want to get off right away should I go to the disembarkation point at 11am? If I take a taxi right to the gates of Trinity College would I be able to get to the book of Kells by 12pm?  How long will the taxi take and what will it cost, approximately? I will buy a ticket online in advance. If I am a few minutes late for the 12pm entry will I still be able to get in? I am thinking about 1 hour in the Old Library and then the 30 minute tour of Trinity College. I could switch to doing the tour of Trinity College first, and then the library but I am worried the Trinity College tour will go over 30 minutes and interfere with my Book of Kells ticket timing. Any comments are appreciated.

I am also interested in the answer to this.  We will be in Dublin off the Viking Jupiter on Thursday August 1st arriving 8 am, and we also want to go see the library and Book of Kells, and would prefer to prebook and not wait on a long line, then have rest of day to maybe do other things, including hearing some great music, I believe we are in port until 11pm, thanks

possible to also go up to see Newgrange and Hill ofTara same day? what do you think? thanks

Judi

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:52 PM, cfly said:

I will be on Crown Princess on Monday July 15 and it arrives at 11am. Disembarking starts at 11:30. If I want to get off right away should I go to the disembarkation point at 11am? If I take a taxi right to the gates of Trinity College would I be able to get to the book of Kells by 12pm?  How long will the taxi take and what will it cost, approximately? I will buy a ticket online in advance. If I am a few minutes late for the 12pm entry will I still be able to get in? I am thinking about 1 hour in the Old Library and then the 30 minute tour of Trinity College. I could switch to doing the tour of Trinity College first, and then the library but I am worried the Trinity College tour will go over 30 minutes and interfere with my Book of Kells ticket timing. Any comments are appreciated.

We were on the Royal Princess (2018) first sailing into Dublin May 4. Princess had a free shuttle to down town Dublin and dropped us across from Merrion Square/Park and it was a short walk to the Trinity College (on Nassau Street).  On our sailing Princess changed the arrival time to 2 PM (due to the tide) and we got a ticket for 4PM and had a few minute to spare once arrived at the place and we were on the 2nd bus leaving port and did not see too many taxi around the port that day due to a free shuttle. 

We do not know if they would let you in if you are a few minutes late, they did not check our ticket too much.  The line for online ticket is on the left and no ticket would be on the right and moving very fast.

The Old Library is upstairs in the same building with the Book of Kells.  There was no time limited on viewing the Book of Kells or the Old Library.

Hope the above information helpful.

Have a good cruise.

ps:  Our ship backed in to Dublin (whole trip) as I understood no place to turn around once reached to Dublin.

On 3/16/2019 at 2:46 PM, ChattTenn said:

We were on the Royal Princess (2018) first sailing into Dublin May 4. Princess had a free shuttle to down town Dublin and dropped us across from Merrion Square/Park and it was a short walk to the Trinity College (on Nassau Street).  On our sailing Princess changed the arrival time to 2 PM (due to the tide) and we got a ticket for 4PM and had a few minute to spare once arrived at the place and we were on the 2nd bus leaving port and did not see too many taxi around the port that day due to a free shuttle. 

We do not know if they would let you in if you are a few minutes late, they did not check our ticket too much.  The line for online ticket is on the left and no ticket would be on the right and moving very fast.

The Old Library is upstairs in the same building with the Book of Kells.  There was no time limited on viewing the Book of Kells or the Old Library.

Hope the above information helpful.

Have a good cruise.

ps:  Our ship backed in to Dublin (whole trip) as I understood no place to turn around once reached to Dublin.

thanks for the info.I hadn't considered the ship not docking on time. That would certainlymess upplans.

I can add our own experience.  We docked at Dublin on a Friday in August 2017 and took the ship’s 10 am shuttle to Merrion Square, arriving 10:15 am.  It was a short walk to Trinity College.  We had booked online tickets for the Book of Kells/Old Library for 11:30 am.  We ended up arriving by 10:35 am.  There was no one in line and they let us in with barely a glance at the ticket.  So I suppose it is safer to book a later time of entrance.

It was a free shuttle scheduled for 10am and there was no line up, but we were not on a Princess ship.

Yes we took a taxi back to the ship, having wandered off into the Guiness Storehouse area.  We did not have to wait too long.  The fare was €18.5.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, cfly said:

your experience sounds positive. I hope I have the same. Is there a line up/wait for shuttles? Did you just take a taxi back at the end of the day?

For our sailing on Princess the line was very long and did not understood the reason.

• Possible the ship arriving late and everyone was ready to get off
  • Because it was the first sailing of the season into Dublin.
  • Once they let us off the line moved very fast.
  • They got several buses awaiting for us to board at the pier.
Edited by ChattTenn

When our port arrival time was pushed back after I had booked tickets to the exhibit, I emailed Trinity College. They were very gracious and told me not to worry.  We had no problems getting in.