QM2 Labor Day Cruise

planetcadillac

Anyone going on QM2 Labor Day Cruise Out of NYC? Not much of a cruise really 4 nights but I was able to secure a past passenger deal pp ~ $600 pretty good for the QM2. Never been on the QM2 and want to see it. Booked on the QE2 for the start of the World Cruise so this will be a nice diversion.

My wife and I are booked for Labor Day...it's a great way to experience life on this great ship at (relatively) modest expense. We did a 3 night out of NYC in May 2004 when the ship was new and loved it...We also were aboard for a luncheon in August, and the food in the main dining room was even better than we remembered. I'm surprised the entire cruise isn't booked already!

Hello Everyone,

We booked this sailing, just to see this magnificent ship!!

I have waited a long time to sail on her.

Yes the price was the reason we were able to go this year, although $600 was cheaper than I saw. The lowest we found with all taxes and port charges was $694.pp, with 4 in a stateroom the price drops to $525pp. I am a past cruiser with their sister companies, but I believe the only discount recieved was the early booking price.

I haven't been to Nova Scotia for a few years and it will be nice to return there.

We booked a 2 night stay in in NYC, but I was told the ship may start sailing out of Brooklyn in 2006, wonder when that notification will arrive? Do I need to start shopping for the Limo service from Manhatten to Brooklyn? LOL

Looking forward to that long weekend.

KIM

Hi,

We are booked on this cruise, too. It is a great way to experience the ship at a relatively modest cost and short commitment of time. This will be the second time that we have cruise aboard the QM2 (we did an eight-day Caribbean cruise in May 2004). I am a big fan of Cunard (have also sailed aboard the QE2 seven times and cruised aboard the Vistafjord and Sagafjord). Even though it is a short cruise, it has two days at sea. Also, we are planning to extend the trip by spending some time in NYC.

Apparently the QM2 has called Edurban and Seacruise back for a second sailing, She must be as grand as I expect.

Seacruise, Nice to hear you will enjoy some additional time in NYC, how about the others, are you doing any pre or post stay? Last time we were in NYC it was too cold to enjoy much of sight seeing.

Has any of you gotton any information on which port in NY the QM2 is sailing out of?

Kim

Was seriously thinking about booking it for much the same reason - never been on the ship and always wanted to do Cunard. But then I really wanted a 7 day cruise and not another 4 day'er so I thought for sure I'd be abandoning my hopes for Cunard once again. Well my plans to book a 7 day Carnival cruise turned into a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the - yep, the QM2. LOL!

Anyway, I would have loved the trip to Halifax so I hope you have a great trip and enjoy the ship before I get to do so.

I am going on the Labor Day cruise. It cost me somewhat over $1200, and I couldn't figure out why yours was so cheap until I realized that I was paying for a single.. (It should be cheaper!). I have been on the QE2 for a double transatlantic, and look forward to trying out the QM2. I understand that the ship will be coming into Brooklyn as of the spring. I will have to find out if the van from Philadelphia will stop there... I have been to Halifax before, and the maritime museum (with some Titanic items) was very nice. There were hardly any birds (other than pigeons and starlings), and I didn't see a whale. That area is very heavily over fished.

Welcome Finch, Oh yes those single rates can be just about the same price as 2 people, but then again what catagory are you in too. I am at a gty. but then again I am only along for the ride,lol although a great upgrade would be fantastic!

As you all can see Cruising is our favorite vacation, sometimes it is a balcony, and other times an inside gty just has to do. Just seeing so many of you cruising on QM2 more than once surely convinces me she will be as elegent as I expect. Look at Bramcruiser, a 4-dayer wasn't enough, they held out for a 7 day one, even going as far as waiting longer, I am sure it will be well worth it too, wonder where theirs will be sailing to and from. QM2 seems to cover a variety of places.

Kim

Nova Scotia Tours: Our last visit we rented a car and drove to Peggy's Cove and the Citadel Hill, Where are you considering?

Kim

I got into ships as a child reading about the Titanic so when we go to Halifax I will likely try and see what ever I can whatever there is regarding the Titanic. Cunard doesn't post excursions online like the other lines so I guess we will just see. Never been on the QM2 either - I have a brother in NYC that I don't see often so we will likely spend those couple of days in NYC looking the place over going to Ground Zero etc. We are already booked for the start of the World Cruise in January 2007. This cruise, unlike the Independence Day cruise which is twice as expensive for one more day only makes one stop with lots of sea travel time. That will be great for me to explore the ship - later booking a more extended cruise after getting acclimated to the ship. Unlike the QE2 Britannia on the QM2 will be more than adequate!

Truly, QM2 is a very special ship. I think I've been on 12 others or so, some very old and some brand new, but there's nothing quite like the Mary. First, she's a true liner and in 12 foot seas you really have to look out a window (try the Chart Room or the Golden Lion Pub) to remind yourself that the conditions are rough...we felt no movement at all. Then there are all those fabulous public rooms, not so much the lobby and the Brittania Dining Room...all big new cruise ships have cavernous dining rooms and many have lobbies (or centrums, or whatever they call 'em) taller and jazzier than QM2's, but on 2 deck and 3 deck, all the lounges, bars, etc are double height...a full two decks high. It's like being on one of those liners in Hollywood movies of the 30s, where all the rooms are impossibly grand and huge...except that those ships were just vast soundstage...this one's REAL. (Not to mention that unless you sailed First Class on those 30s ships you would never have gotten so much as a glance at all the amazing rooms that filled the brochures.) The two dedicated theatres, the planetarium that features the 'are we alone?' show straight from the Museum of Natural History's planetarium, an amazing library and bookstore, marvelous terraced aft decks that recall ships like the Normandie, the Queen's Room where the dance floor had room for 20 couples to take waltz lessons without a single collision. I don't always go for dressy, but this ship is as dressy as they come: on a three night cruise I wore a suit once and a tuxedo twice. More concerts, plays, lectures (the charming Marnie Nixon talking about being the on-screen voice of so many movie stars) shows, book signings, painting classes (and God-knows-what-other-classes) than any sane person could possibly take in...my wife cried when we disembarked. We have a special feeling about QM2 that no other ship, and there are a lot of wonderful ships out there- can match.

Can you tell we had a good time?

Planetcadillac sounds like your going on a hunt to see artifacts, nice to have somewhat of a mission. I am going to see if I can find anything online for tours.

Edurban, WOW I am glad to hear there are real differences about QM2. I hope we do not need to test out the stability of the ship. We are going during the dreaded hurricane season, but this ship is the only one I do not seem to have a care about it. Maybe because we watched PBS show of her being built.

I am glad to hear about the dress for the ship, I do enjoy the opportunity to don evening wear. swimwear by day, dresses by night.

Finch you live close enough to take a van or train to port that would be nice. We are going on another cruise out of Philly in April and was concerned about parking there. Do you have any suggestions?

Kim

Kim:

I have not been to the new passenger terminal in South Philly, but I imagine there must be parking there. While you are in Philadelphia, and South Philly at that, go north a bit from the passenger terminal to where Delaware Avenue (now Columbus Blvd.) and Snyder Avenue meet, along the Delaware River. Parked there (about five blocks north of the Walt Whitman Bridge) is the S.S. United States. This ship was built in the late '40s and early 50's, and is bigger than Titanic. There are two huge funnels. She has been bought by Norwegian Cruise Lines, and the president of NCL, after doing a feasibility study, has stated that she will hopefully be refurbished in a few years; their idea is for the ship to travel through the Panama Canal, back and forth between the two coasts. She is extensively built with aluminum (not all), and is so "light" that she is very fast; in fact she still holds the Blue Ribbon for speed- no other liner, then or now, is faster. This poor ship has peeling paint, but is still VERY impressive.

Anyone going on QM2 Labor Day Cruise Out of NYC? Not much of a cruise really 4 nights but I was able to secure a past passenger deal pp ~ $600 pretty good for the QM2. Never been on the QM2 and want to see it. Booked on the QE2 for the start of the World Cruise so this will be a nice diversion.

Not booked on Labor Day cruise, but booked on QE2 World Cruise.

Finch, Thank you for the suggestions in Philly, locals always know what the best things are to see. So NCL has a new terminal, that's great.

4 years ago we went to NYC for New Years Eve, but not down in the maddness of times square, we went to a New Years party on the USS Intrepid. It was fantastic to explore this navel ship even though there were limitations to where you could go.

Tell me about this van your taking to NYC? Maybe we can consider this as 1 of the choices for transportation into NYC. I haven't made transportation plans yet because I am looking at all my options along with it still being early. Train, drive, plane, Van?

Bobby world cruising.....humm... well Cunard is the right line to sail with I am sure about that.

Who else is joining us Labor Day Weekend? Drop a line.

Kim

My friend and I will be on this cruise. This will be my second on QM2 (did Caribbean in Nov 04 - loved it!) and my friend's first cruise ever. She's nervous about being at sea (sea sickness issues) so we thought this 4 day to Nova Scotia would be a perfect introduction for her. And, she gets to go on the QM2 (which she is sooooo excited about). Just sorry that we won't be leaving out of Manhattan which is so magical. Not sure how we're getting to Brooklyn but will figure that out. Looking forward to seeing QM2 again. Am hoping to do a crossing on QE2 in April '07 but am not sure if finances will allow. Anyway, looking forward to meeting some (or all) of you onboard QM2 in September.

Just to answer the original question...........

It is my understanding........ from the 15 April 2006 all Cunard ships will be using the Brooklyn facility. Then, the Pier in the Hudson is going to be taken out of service for a rebuild.

QM2 is scheduled to open the dock with her arrival from the South America voyage, before leaving on a Transatlantic run the same afternoon.

Like everything........... subject to alteration, should the terminal not be finished or other problems, I presume.

Welcome to the board Johnsy. Your friend might consider purchasing Seabands, they really worked for our 10yr old the last cruise. When he removed them @ night and did not put them back on 1st thing in the morning, it did not take long for him to be sick, within 1/2 an hour of putting them on his nausea left.

Emu thanks for giving us dates when the move is expected, now I know when to start looking for the confirmation of the Brooklyn move. Guess I will have to locate a reasonably priced limo service from Manhatten to ship port once it is confirmed.

Kim

Kim:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the S.S. United States isn't at an NCL dock at the passenger terminal (now down in the tip of south Philly in what had been the Navy Yard), but is some blocks north on the Delaware at Snyder Ave. It was parked there by its original owners, and was sold to NCL; it awaits the eventual removal for rehab. .. I will try to take Dave's Limosine, a Philadelphia based van service that goes to Philadelphia, Newark and New York airports and piers.

Kim:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the S.S. United States is not at the passenger terminal... She is at her own pier, a number of blocks north from the passenger terminal at Snyder Ave. and the Delaware River. She was parked there by her previous owner. She has since been sold to NCL and awaits eventual removal for rehab. ... I will be taking (hopefully) Dave's Limosine, a Philadelphia van service to airports and piers.

Hello All

We will also be on the Labor Day Cruise. As was mentioned earlier the ships leave from Red Hook in Brooklyn. We are going on the Crown Princess in October and were told that all Carnival owned ships will depart from there starting in the Spring.

Parking at the pier in Philadelphia is no big deal. Depending on how long you are going, you may want to park at a hotel near the airport, and they will take you to the pier and get you on the way back. This is if you are a guest. Sometimes it is less expensive than the parking fee and you can spend the evening at the hotel. Hilton uses to do this.

Finch - I don't know if Daves will go to Brooklyn. In November they wouldn't go to Newark airport, and we got a private limo.

Maria and Marshall

Hello All

We will also be on the Labor Day Cruise. As was mentioned earlier the ships leave from Red Hook in Brooklyn. We are going on the Crown Princess in October and were told that all Carnival owned ships will depart from there starting in the Spring.

Parking at the pier in Philadelphia is no big deal. Depending on how long you are going, you may want to park at a hotel near the airport, and they will take you to the pier and get you on the way back. This is if you are a guest. Sometimes it is less expensive than the parking fee and you can spend the evening at the hotel. Hilton uses to do this.

Finch - I don't know if Daves will go to Brooklyn. In November they wouldn't go to Newark airport, and we got a private limo.

Maria and Marshall

Upon discussion with travel agent and people in the know in NYC (thanks in part to Norwegian Cruise Line for some info) - the switch to Red Hook was not entirely or even substantially a Cunard decision. It is an accepted fact that the West Side piers leave much to be desired, although they are conveniently located. Port Authority of NY-NJ got together with the major ship operators in NYC, Cunard, Norwegian, Carnival, and Holland America, in addition to cargo lines that may use the terminal, and it was all agreed upon. I suppose like building a sports arena in a city, it will be a joint public-private venture. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean use a developed port in Bayonne (Cape Liberty) NJ across from Staten Island. So all of this is not entirely a Cunard gripe.

My brother and his wife live near the Village in SW Manhattan island convenient to the westside piers. We are trying to talk them into joining us for the Labor Day cruise. They do not own a car since they live and work in Manhattan so going to the West Side piers would have been nice. We are travelling from Charlotte to NYC via overnight train to Penn Station. It would have been convenient for them to meet us and travel to the piers even with luggage. Now subways will be complicated (especially with luggage) and taxis more expensive because of the distance. It is more of a pain in the butt but we haven't done QM2 yet and I am dying to check her out so that is small pains, lol!

Hey Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl!!! Sorry about that, I am a Pittsburgher.

Welcome Artvlay, Thanks for telling us the name of the port Red Hook that is good to know, I can now shop for the Limo service from Brooklyn. I called Cunard when I recently recieved their new booklet, it was offering a $100 pp discount for every stateroom book in 2006, since we booked in Nov 05 they would not give the discount, and was informed our category was booked up with a waiting list for this category. Looks like this sailing will be selling out.

KIM

Hi Everyone,

Just booked this cruise also. Was on the QM2 12 day from 1/3 to 1/15 and had a great time. Lots of things to do and see.

The Red Hook pier is coming along nicely. Really not hard to get to at all from Manhattan. Taxi from Manhattan should cost about $35.00 + tip. By Sept. all the kinks should be worked out with getting to the terminal from airports etc.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Maria Elena

Archived