Help - your Paradise Cove (Freeport) experience

SaturnMom

Hi everyone,

Husband and I are sailing Carnival Freedom to Key West, Freeport and Nassau in April. Our ship will dock at 8 am and leave at 5 pm, so it will leave us a lot of time to do different things. Could anyone tell me your experience with Paradise Cove? I have done lot of research from TripAdvisor and Cruise Critic, some people said the reef is about 150 ft away, some said it about a mile. I am afraid even with my floating vest and fin, I will have a hard time to swim that far. Or if the current is too high, can I swim back to shore?? 🤔

It doesn't matter your experience was from an excursion or DIY, I just want to hear more about this place. Any input is welcome.

I would like to just take a taxi (and ask the driver to pick us up by 1pm) and pay the entrance fee to get in. We have our own snorkel gear and wet suit, so would rather to spend the money on food and drink than paying for the excursion. I have done this in other Caribbean Islands and had no problem.

Thanks.

• Like 1

It isn't a mile out, but it isn't 150 feet either.  It looks like about 1000 feet give or take - depending on starting point, destinatino on the reef, route taken and whether it is high or low tide.  Check out this satellite image of Paradise Cove on Google Maps.  That will give you an idea of the distances involved.

I believe that there is an option for a boat ride out to the reef for an additional fee, but I have never done it myself so I cannot guarantee that there will be one.

Once out at the reef it is a wonderful experience.  Tons of fish to see.

We did it all ourselves.  Taxi to the venue.  Paid entry fee.  Used our own gear.  Taxi back to ship.  Easy peasy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DontTreadOnMe said:

It isn't a mile out, but it isn't 150 feet either.  It looks like about 1000 feet give or take - depending on starting point, destinatino on the reef, route taken and whether it is high or low tide.  Check out this satellite image of Paradise Cove on Google Maps.  That will give you an idea of the distances involved.

I believe that there is an option for a boat ride out to the reef for an additional fee, but I have never done it myself so I cannot guarantee that there will be one.

Once out at the reef it is a wonderful experience.  Tons of fish to see.

We did it all ourselves.  Taxi to the venue.  Paid entry fee.  Used our own gear.  Taxi back to ship.  Easy peasy.

Did you go before Irma or after? Wonder how much damage to the reef? Do you remember how much you paid for the taxi? I hope I can find more people to share the taxi with us, otherwise may need to pay $40 each way. 😂

It was definitely pre-Irma - 2013.  We were a party of four.  I pre-booked a taxi for six hours. The driver hung out at the facility until we were ready to leave.  It cost $100, but it guaranteed that we could leave when we wanted.  Still cheaper than $40 x 4 people.

I used Grand Bahama Taxi Union, but the domain name for their standalone website has expired.  They are still listed on the Bahama's website with a phone number so you could always reach out if so inclined.  I pre-paid and had the driver's name and phone number.  I called once the ship was docked and we were ready to get off.  Took a little longer than expected for them to pick us up but once we were on our way it was quite easy.  And low stress since the van was going to be with us the whole time.