Best Port for Hiking

LMR

We are going to be in Alaska on Bliss this year with our three kids (9, 7, 5). We would like to do some hiking while there. Kids are seasoned day hikers, being from the PNW. I’m interested in using one of our port days, Ketchikan, Skagway, Jeanau, for a hike. What’s the best port for this? Suggestions?

I will try and answer this one - on my several visits to those ports the one that I found best for interesting day hikes is Skagway - Dewey Lakes or even the walk up to the old cemetery/ Reid Falls will keep you busy for a few hours - there is also the hike over to the point - the name which escape me right now - that if extend will lead you to the start of the Chilkoot trail - all of these have easy access from the town.

In Juneau you could walk up Mt Roberts which is by the cruise terminal and ride the gondola down.

Hope this helps

Dennis

26 minutes ago, Urban trekker said:

I will try and answer this one - on my several visits to those ports the one that I found best for interesting day hikes is Skagway - Dewey Lakes or even the walk up to the old cemetery/ Reid Falls will keep you busy for a few hours - there is also the hike over to the point - the name which escape me right now - that if extend will lead you to the start of the Chilkoot trail - all of these have easy access from the town.

In Juneau you could walk up Mt Roberts which is by the cruise terminal and ride the gondola down.

Hope this helps

Dennis

Thank you! That helps! Accessible via the cruise terminal is perfect.

Yay for hiking!!!  Alaska's a great place for it.

All of the ports you mentioned are great for hiking, but one of the best hikes I've ever been on was to Upper Dewey Lake in Skagway (of course, it was a perfect, blue-sky day, so that helped).  It might be too much for the kids, as it gains about 3000 feet, but since your kids are seasoned...maybe they'd love it as much as I did.  There are also easier options in Skagway:  Yakutania Point and Smugglers Cove, Lower Dewey Lake, Lower Reid Falls, etc.  All beautiful. 

Upper Dewey Lake pics and details here:   https://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/skagway-alaska-upper-dewey-lake.html

Ketchikan has the Deer Mountain Trail--also very steep but pretty awesome--and the Rainbird Trail, plus some trails you can get to on the bus.  

Deer Mountain pics:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2017/02/deer-mountain-trail-ketchikan-alaska.html

Juneau has great trails too, but not quite as accessible.   I loved the Perseverance Trail, but it's a bit of a walk to the trailhead.  And of course there are great trails at Mendenhall Glacier (pricey to get to, but very cool).  

A little video of Ebner Falls on the Perseverance Trail:  https://cruisingalaskaonabudget.wordpress.com/2018/10/04/ebner-falls/  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hike in all the ports and I’m always alone. I use sticks and hit them hard on the trail so the bears know I’m coming. So far they have kept away from. The hiking is incredible no matter what trails you take. And I have hiked Deer Mountain. 

Edited by RSF Cruiser
Update

• 2 weeks later...

In Juneau you can take the tram to the top of Mt Roberts and hike for miles in the alpine. It is beautiful in any weather and right by the dock. Bring plenty of snacks and watch for porcupines, mountain goats, and bears. Tons of wildflowers too!